resource aggression

lisaellman

Reaction score
I am working with 3 people that have Frenchies and they are all exhibiting resource aggression that leads to fighting with the other dogs (also frenchies). It seems to be a breed trait from what I've read and observed. We are currently working on basic obedience behaviors (leave it, sit before meals, stay, etc.). Was wondering how others have resolved the issue. Thanks!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I donor have the issue.... the prey drive can be higher in a Frenchie and females could be more dominant and want to run the house, but resource aggressive tends to happen in any breed based on early social training .
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisaellman

Reaction score
Yes, I know. But I found it a huge coincidence that both clients I'm currently working with are having the same issue with their young dogs. I see a lot of young dogs, sometimes unsocialized, but never going after each other the way the Frenchies are.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. But I found it a huge coincidence that both clients I'm currently working with are having the same issue with their young dogs. I see a lot of young dogs, sometimes unsocialized, but never going after each other the way the Frenchies are.

Bulldogs are tough... my female bulldog was beyond words. Once they focus in, it is very hard to break it. Is it possible they were singles... meaning only pup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fawn22

Reaction score
Sorry for jumping on this thread I can't work out how to post my own! I came across this thread and I desperately need advice and thought the subject of conversation was similar.
So here it goes I have 2 french bulldogs a 2 year old male who is perfect in every way had no problems with him he has a lovely nature. The 2nd one on the other hand totally different story! He is 5 months old and we have had him since he was 16 weeks. He started off a little bit food aggressive with his bones with my other dog but that soon calmed down. Recently though he has bit my son (4) it is only when we are in the kitchen when I'm dishing up dinner (our dinner) and my son comes in to sit at the table to eat and Rocky the puppy goes for him he actually lunges and bites him as if to say that's his food? He also did it when me and my son baked a cake the other day, my son stood off the chair after mixing the cake mix and Rocky went for him as soon as his feet touched the floor! The last straw was I was making a homemade hair mask all food ingredients I went into the bathroom to put it in my hair Rocky followed me and sat watching me I didn't think anything of it untill my son came to use the toilet and Rocky launched at him at bit him again! As if he's again saying back off that's his food! I've searched the internet and can't find any advice on this type of food agression/resource guarding only the usually sort of guarding bowls etc which he doesn't do. How do I deal with this please? How do I train this out of him? I don't want to re-home him but I will have to if this Carries on I will, my son has already had several puncture wounds this last 2 days! Any advice please?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for jumping on this thread I can't work out how to post my own! I came across this thread and I desperately need advice and thought the subject of conversation was similar.
So here it goes I have 2 french bulldogs a 2 year old male who is perfect in every way had no problems with him he has a lovely nature. The 2nd one on the other hand totally different story! He is 5 months old and we have had him since he was 16 weeks. He started off a little bit food aggressive with his bones with my other dog but that soon calmed down. Recently though he has bit my son (4) it is only when we are in the kitchen when I'm dishing up dinner (our dinner) and my son comes in to sit at the table to eat and Rocky the puppy goes for him he actually lunges and bites him as if to say that's his food? He also did it when me and my son baked a cake the other day, my son stood off the chair after mixing the cake mix and Rocky went for him as soon as his feet touched the floor! The last straw was I was making a homemade hair mask all food ingredients I went into the bathroom to put it in my hair Rocky followed me and sat watching me I didn't think anything of it untill my son came to use the toilet and Rocky launched at him at bit him again! As if he's again saying back off that's his food! I've searched the internet and can't find any advice on this type of food agression/resource guarding only the usually sort of guarding bowls etc which he doesn't do. How do I deal with this please? How do I train this out of him? I don't want to re-home him but I will have to if this Carries on I will, my son has already had several puncture wounds this last 2 days! Any advice please?

You need to get him in line with limitations and training.... he thinks he is the boss of the house and may not just be a food thing. Have you thought about an in home trainer?
I would crate or leash him when you are around food and teah him to sit and stay until you release him. he gets treats as positive reinforcement of doing as commanded, but he has to learn you are the boss and not him. Frenchies are very stubborn and will un right over you if no leadership is in place. Your first being so good, is great, but hey are not all like this.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Is Rocky from a reputable breeder?

For what it's worth, if it was me, I would insure Rocky has absolutely no opportunity to bite my son again as I worked to resolve the issue.

Whatever it takes, gates, separate room, etc., it would be done.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Frenchies are very stubborn and resource guarding can be a problem. As Christine has said, you need to let them know you are the boss (alpha) and train them. Use a leash if you have to. Crate them at dinner time if you have to. We have 5 Frenchies, so we don't always leave toys around because it can start a fight sometime. They can play or chew bones when we are watching them, or when only a few are out at a time. The more you work with them and make them wait on you to go out the door first, and make them earn everything, it does help in the long run. When they do something wrong, as lunging at a child, loudly tell them NO!!!! and make them sit. Let them know that behavior is not tolerated. It takes time and patient, but keep at it and it will pay off. Sometimes getting a trainer will help too.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts