Shaking, lethargic & already went to Animal Hospital! Advice?

CynthiaLee

Reaction score
Hey there!

My name is Cynthia Luna and my dogā€™s name is Albie. Iā€™ll introduce ourselves in a different forum a little later but I need advice! While at work yesterday my pet sitter called and said Albie was acting different and that he was shaking and panting and breathing irregularly. I became hysterical because Iā€™ve never had any issues with him. I left work early and went home. I could see the shaking and it was pretty severe. I took him to the animal hospital. After all blood work, x rays, etc they found nothing! We did a timeline of the days and we canā€™t pin point anything. His stool is totally fine, no diarrhea. But he wonā€™t eat much if at all and isnā€™t drinking water either. The vet said while doing tests he started to drool which she said is a sign of nausea. They injected some fluids in him and gave me muscle relaxers for him to calm him for the next 5 days. We got home and he went to bed in his crate (heā€™s crate trained so thatā€™s his safe zone) and I went to bed. This morning he didnā€™t want to eat, not even sweet potato! He didnā€™t want to walk - he peed and pooped and wanted to go back inside. He started shaking a bit but not like last night. Naturally I gave him his medication as directed. But if they couldnā€™t find anything after tests and xrays what could it be?

I thought maybe heā€™s forming separation anxiety? I say this because itā€™s myself and my two parents who are retired so theyā€™re always home with him. Well, right now theyā€™re in Puerto Rico but they left New Years Eve, so itā€™s already been a few days. The only thing wrong with that theory is that this isnā€™t the first time theyā€™ve gone a trip so could it be something he developed?

Any advice or next steps would be great! Iā€™m giving him love and affection and also giving him his space if he chooses to be in his crate. I just want to make sure he truly is okay! Thanks in advance and canā€™t wait to connect with all of you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Shaking could be a sign of pain. Drooling can be a sign of anxiety.

My guy experienced shaking a couple years ago, took him to the ER and they said it was nothing. He got worse and they finally did an MRI and he had a herniated disc in his neck and was diagnosed with IVDD.

I would give meds and crate rest for a few weeks. If no improvement or he gets worse, I would probably go to a neurologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Citty... shaking and drooling can be anxiety or pain.

Even thought your parents went on other trips it could be then it didnā€™t matter but now it does. Try placing a tshirt or blanket that has their scent in his crate see if it helps.

As Citty suggests.. no improvement could mean you need more specific testing

Sending positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk