Suggestions for 12 year-old Frenchie with breathing and eating problems?

DaHai

Reaction score
We have a 12 year-old French bulldog with breathing and eating issues.
But let me cover his medical condition before going further.

Earlier this year he started vomiting. Sometimes right after eating and sometimes just foam on an empty stomach. The vet ran a bunch of blood tests and x-rays and determined that he had pancreatitis and put him on some antiacid medicine, special diet (Royal Canin Gastrointestinal), and probiotics. This seemed to clear up the eating and vomiting problems. Then the seizures stated and quickly (within 2 days) got really bad. So back to the doctor. After a few months, its mostly under control using Keppra and a liquid medication to help with his nervous system.

His ability to breath easily and swallow has been getting worse and worse. The vet says its because he is old and his esophagus is weakened. He's way too old for surgery and we all (me, my wife, and the vet) agree he probably wouldn't survive it.

He's always hungry, but its a struggle to maintain his weight and always coughing and choaking when eating. We wet his food down and grind some fatless meat (cooked) in with it along with some of the juices (after skimming off the fat) so that its easier to swallow (and tastier).

Any ideas what we can further do to help with his breathing and swallowing?

Thank you.

Attachments

• wx_camera_1708821085840~2.jpg
    wx_camera_1708821085840~2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
Poor guy! I have a 13 year old so I know the struggle of age.

To my knowledge, other than keeping him cool and calm there isn’t much you can do outside of surgery, which I agree, do not attempt.

As for food.. have you looked into freeze dried options.. like The honest kitchen.. the end up like a slurry or oatmeal once rehydrated. That might be easy for him to eat

Thank you for your response. Since you replied, I thought you should know.
His name was Thor. He was my best friend.
He passed away at the vet today from a massive seizure.
I'd delete this thread if I could, but I can't figure out how.
I'll be leaving this forum now. Too much pain.

Thank you for your response. Since you replied, I thought you should know.
His name was Thor. He was my best friend.
He passed away at the vet today from a massive seizure.
I'd delete this thread if I could, but I can't figure out how.
I'll be leaving this forum now. Too much pain.
So incredibly sorry for the loss of your baby…. My he rest well 😢

Back