Hi everyone! Very new to dogs not just to owning a 5mos. french

lemon

Reaction score
Hi! Everyone i'm new here and to owning a frenchie. In fact very new to dogs. Our first dog ever is this frenchie given to us by family friend. His name is Pablo. We got him about 3weeks ago and he is turning 5mos tomorrow May 27, 2019. He is 11 pounds. Just wondering if he is underweight, just right or overweight? Also Can i ask further questions here or should i start a new post?

Attachments

• IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 172

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Eleven pounds is small for a 5 mo. old, maybe he is a mix? Have you seen both parents?

Whatever, he is a cutie. Welcome to FBN!

lemon

Reaction score
Eleven pounds is small for a 5 mo. old, maybe he is a mix? Have you seen both parents?

Whatever, he is a cutie. Welcome to FBN!

Before we got him, the owner only feeds him 1/2 twice a day. Do you think that would tell why he was small for 5mos? He was 4.1 kg when we got him 3 weeks ago. And as soon as we got him we fed him 1/2 cup 3x/day and he packed weight and jumped from 4.1kg to 5kg (11pounds).

Honestly, i haven't seen the parents but i know the previous owner owns only frenchies because we visited his house few months ago and all his dogs are frenchies 7 pairs in total.

lemon

Reaction score
Has he been to a vet for a check-up, yet?
hi! not yet since we got him. but he's very active and normal poop. Before we got him, he already had vet visits and shots. I'll attach the pic. Pls see. :))

Attachments

• IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 161

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
He is a little on the small side. You did the correct thing and feed him three times a day. Keep this up until he is about 7 months of age and at that time you can switch hm to adult food. Stay with a good quality food also. He is a cutie pie too.

lemon

Reaction score
He is a little on the small side. You did the correct thing and feed him three times a day. Keep this up until he is about 7 months of age and at that time you can switch hm to adult food. Stay with a good quality food also. He is a cutie pie too.
Thank you! Right now i'm feeding him royal canin (pic attached) but i heard/read it's not a good brand. But it's all we can find since we got him and so far he's eating it and fine. Maybe if he finished the bag, we'll look and switch to different brand. Any recommendation? :))

So at the 8month, we can feed him already adult food? No need to wait up to 12mo?

Attachments

• IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    681.6 KB · Views: 166

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,
Hopefully you can find a food that does not contain animal by-products which many brands have. Acana, Orijen, Fromm are some good ones to try. I'm glad you stuck with your gut and started feeding him another meal!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! He is adorable.... and yes, RC is not a good food.

Here are are five that bulldogs seem to do well on..

Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
Acana
The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated raw)

good luck... avoid chicken and grains

lemon

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,
Hopefully you can find a food that does not contain animal by-products which many brands have. Acana, Orijen, Fromm are some good ones to try. I'm glad you stuck with your gut and started feeding him another meal!
Thank you for the kind response. :) honestly, i read a lot and did some reasearch and it all says one thing to feed puppies 3x day hehe. :) really new at this. In case i found the suggested brands, can i immediately switch to it?

lemon

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! He is adorable.... and yes, RC is not a good food.

Here are are five that bulldogs seem to do well on..

Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
Acana
The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated raw)

good luck... avoid chicken and grains
Thank you! I copied these brands to my phone :))
Can i switch his food right away in case i found some of the suggested brands? Or i should leave a little RC and combined with new the brand? I also came across in local website about Merrick but it's expensive haha and don't know if it's worth it

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I copied these brands to my phone :))
Can i switch his food right away in case i found some of the suggested brands? Or i should leave a little RC and combined with new the brand? I also came across in local website about Merrick but it's expensive haha and don't know if it's worth it

Where do you live? Yes, youโ€™ll need to slow transition to avoid upset tummy and diarrhea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemon

Reaction score
Where do you live? Yes, youโ€™ll need to slow transition to avoid upset tummy and diarrhea

I'm from Philippines. :)) ok i'll try to look in some other stores for the brands. :))

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm from Philippines. :)) ok i'll try to look in some other stores for the brands. :))

You may on.y be able to get Acana or the Merri k that you found, both are viable options. Just avoid chicken and white potatoes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lemon

Reaction score
You may on.y be able to get Acana or the Merri k that you found, both are viable options. Just avoid chicken and white potatoes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! May i ask what specific kind of Acana or Orijen do you suggest for our 5mos old frenchie? I think i found online sellers of both brands here in ph :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! May i ask what specific kind of Acana or Orijen do you suggest for our 5mos old frenchie? I think i found online sellers of both brands here in ph :)

I lean towards the duck flavor or pork because they are less of an allergen

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I think it is widely recommended to switch gradually to a new food when trying to change over; however, I was desperate way back when Daphne arrived and had cysts between her toes that I just switched her to raw immediately and thankfully her body handled the sudden change. If you can get one of the foods that were recommended on here you could put less and less of the Royal Canin in with the new until it runs out. I also think duck is a safe protein to try. Mine does well on that one and we started doing rabbit this week too and she seems okay so far. Good luck!

lemon

Reaction score
I lean towards the duck flavor or pork because they are less of an allergen

Ok :)) thank you for all the help and infos. Thank you for your kind response. :))

lemon

Reaction score
I think it is widely recommended to switch gradually to a new food when trying to change over; however, I was desperate way back when Daphne arrived and had cysts between her toes that I just switched her to raw immediately and thankfully her body handled the sudden change. If you can get one of the foods that were recommended on here you could put less and less of the Royal Canin in with the new until it runs out. I also think duck is a safe protein to try. Mine does well on that one and we started doing rabbit this week too and she seems okay so far. Good luck!

Ok, noted. :)) Thank you for great infos. :))

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts