Sedative for flight

Repose

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a light sedative that’s safe for frenchies?

I talked with my vet about Benadryl and he also recommended gravol. He offered a prescription but I opted to not as I was scared about the side effects possibly interrupting their breathing.

If you have successful experience with Benadryl or Gravol how much do you give? My pups are both 21 and 23 lbs.

If you feel against the use of sedatives at all, let me know too!

We will be on a rather short 3 hour one-way flight. They’ve been introduced to their carriers and I’ve been wheeling them around in them to make them comfortable with the idea. Maple goes in to hers on her own now when she needs a break which is positive. The carriers are very breathable and they of course will be with us in the cabin but regulations are they must be in the carrier at all times so I’m hoping they’ll just nap for the 3 hours...which they probably would do anyway to be honest. They’re pretty great with car rides and whatnot and their personalities are super chill in new situations.

Thanks for your help.

B9573993-6484-4FA7-87D4-41B021C42946.jpeg

7EBC7827-2753-4A69-B6AB-DFE3F7ABF0C8.png

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When Jax had his surgeries, he was given Trazodone as a sedative to help keep him calm during recovery.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Wow- they are stinkin' cute. They will be the hit of the flight for sure! I have no experience with sedatives, sorry. If you decide to go with either drug, maybe contact your vet to just double check on dosage for their weights. Good luck and safe travels!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
adorable.... if they are good in the car the flight should be fine. I would think the Benedryl should keep them calm enough .... 1 mg per pound up to three times a day.

safe travels

Oskars Keeper

Reaction score
We flew recently for the first time with Oskar and I can give you a few tips on what we learned.
Don’t sedate unless they get motion sick(which would happen in a car too) or hate the crate with an extreme passion. This is what my vet and breeder both said.
Bring a package of tiny snacks that you can feed them while taking off (landing isn’t as bad). They pretty much need to be chewing the whole time for that two minute period.
Don’t worry about their Frenchie noises, if they do make them in crate. The plane is loud.
Because the plane is loud and droning, they will most likely sleep just to not deal with their surroundings. Oskar slept both ways, only waking up right before we were about to land.
Know where the puppy relief station is before you show up to the airports.

Have fun!

Repose

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I’ve never been so nervous for a flight in my life lol. Like you said, Precious Cargo

4CE6B9FA-E13B-43C7-85A0-BF3B0BDA1775.jpeg

629D3DBF-7F03-4578-B8FD-C170BEFA0E81.jpeg

Repose

Reaction score
Turns out they’re pretty awesome. Slept most of the time and the flight attendants let us stick their heads out which was nice of them.

CA576B80-5A19-4EB8-900C-F46FC7959D58.jpeg

🆕 Latest posts