Bravecto warning!

Joann H

Reaction score
Last week I gave my 1 year old Lola Bravecto flea and tick medication for the first time. She had previously been taking Nexgard, but I switched vets. This vet highly recommended Bravecto. About 20 hours after taking the medication, Lola started to heave continuously for over an hour. Unfortunately, she aspirated and I had to rush her to the emergency, vet at 6:30am. Within 2 hours of her first symptom she was diagnosed with aspirational pneumonia. Her breathing, was labored and it was frightening.

According to the side effects of this drug, vomiting is the most common. The vet agreed with me that Bravecto could have caused this reaction, which could have killed Lola had I not acted so fast. Needless to say, I am giving Lola a topical flea and tick medication going forward.

While it is nice to only administer this drug once every 3 months, I cannot recommend doing so. This breed is prone to aspirational pneumonia, and anything that could possibly induce vomiting should be avoided.

Fortunately, she is on the mend and dong well.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Wow, I’m sorry to hear about your baby. I’m glad she is ok! Scary! I have to say that I have been using Bravecto and have had nothing but good luck with it. I work at a veterinary hospital and we sell it like crazy. Thousands since it came out and haven’t had one person have an issue. Everything has side effects, but I don’t think it’s any more likely than Nexgard, or Comfortis to cause a reaction.

Joann H

Reaction score
Wow, I’m sorry to hear about your baby. I’m glad she is ok! Scary! I have to say that I have been using Bravecto and have had nothing but good luck with it. I work at a veterinary hospital and we sell it like crazy. Thousands since it came out and haven’t had one person have an issue. Everything has side effects, but I don’t think it’s any more likely than Nexgard, or Comfortis to cause a reaction.

Yes, I do agree that everyone I have spoken to has had good luck with Bravecto. But since this is the second time Lola has had aspirational pneumonia, (first Time was when she swallowed a peach pit), I will not give her anything that could possibly cause her to vomit. Unfortunately for her, she is one of the few unlucky dogs to have a reaction. Luckily we have other alternatives.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry this happened to your baby! I’m so glad she is okay.

And yes, everything has side effects. What works for one may not work for another. Find something that works and stick to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Wow!! That sounds scary!!! Good thing you caught it in time!

I forget the name of the tick meds but when I gave it to Uma she had the worst diarrhea! It was so bad I thought it was Wally's because there was so much. I haven't given either of my dogs tick meds since then. However next summer I'm thinking of getting topical meds because we hope to do a lot of hiking in the woods.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Last week I gave my 1 year old Lola Bravecto flea and tick medication for the first time. She had previously been taking Nexgard, but I switched vets. This vet highly recommended Bravecto. About 20 hours after taking the medication, Lola started to heave continuously for over an hour. Unfortunately, she aspirated and I had to rush her to the emergency, vet at 6:30am. Within 2 hours of her first symptom she was diagnosed with aspirational pneumonia. Her breathing, was labored and it was frightening.

According to the side effects of this drug, vomiting is the most common. The vet agreed with me that Bravecto could have caused this reaction, which could have killed Lola had I not acted so fast. Needless to say, I am giving Lola a topical flea and tick medication going forward.

While it is nice to only administer this drug once every 3 months, I cannot recommend doing so. This breed is prone to aspirational pneumonia, and anything that could possibly induce vomiting should be avoided.

So glad that sweet Lola is ok. :luv:

After reading so much about terrible reactions to the toxins in flea/tick meds, I've taken Gus off them (it's winter anyway) and I am going to try to use natural methods come spring. Wish me luck. LOL

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

So happy you were with her when it started and acted so quickly. hugs to you both

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I think the class of flea and tick preventatives that includes Nexgard, Bravecto and Simparica is better tolerated than Comfortis or Trifexis. But I feel more comfortable giving Nexgard rather than Bravecto or Simparica, just my personal feeling.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I still like Advantage too. I LOVE Advantage Multi for my cats. I don't like the residue it leaves for about a day, but my youngest daughter is 10 so she knows not to mess with them. I live in the South, and we have fleas here all year long. It's going to be 70* today..yuck. I use it all year. I have to. One of my cats goes outside and if I didn't, she would pick up fleas for sure.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the South too. I can't believe how warm it is today, when we just had snow a week, or so, ago.

Gus has been off flea/tick meds for two months now, and I haven't seen a flea on him. I'll use some natural preventatives once it starts getting warm constantly, but for now I'm not doing anything aside from regular brushing and weekly baths. I'm hoping if I spend more on quality food and such that they just won't be as attracted to him. I'll let you guys know how it's going come spring.

I'm trying to really reduce the amount of chemicals and toxins that I have around the house, so that includes Gus too. I'm still in the transition and learning stages though.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
How scary! I have not given tick or flea meds to my boys because (knock on wood) we don't have fleas where we live--it gets too cold here!