puppy poops 6 + times a day

Gertruda

Reaction score
Hi everyone, our french puppy Lola is 4 months and she poops 6- 7 times a day! We feed her 2 big meals per day around 7 am and 7 pm (1 1/3 cup all together) and she gets a snack (banana, or 2 spoons of cottage cheese during lunch, something like this). She just stopped pooping at night, but during the day it seems non stop. We take her out every 2 hours or so during the day, but she still does it at home too (50% on a training sheet, 50% - on the floor).

What is the normal pooping frequency for a 4 months puppy? Are we feeding her too much?
Thank you for your comments :)

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Current weight? Feeding a whole banana? I know what a whole banana does to me. Imagine that in a little puppy lol.

How's the quality of poop? Big piles? Thick solid tight? Mush?

Gertruda

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. We give her just a lil spoon of banana :)..Quality of poop is good, all normal, no big piles, solid but not too solid.. And the weight is now probably about 8 pounds.... we monitor that... she looks healthy.. :). I was just wondering if this could the normal frequency....

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a lot of poo for a pup ... what food do you feed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carson1834

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. We give her just a lil spoon of banana :)..Quality of poop is good, all normal, no big piles, solid but not too solid.. And the weight is now probably about 8 pounds.... we monitor that... she looks healthy.. :). I was just wondering if this could the normal frequency....

My pup is a year old, about 25 lbs and he eats about 1.25 cups per day + some treats. 1 and 1/3 cups for an 8 lb baby sounds like a lot to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gertruda

Reaction score
thank you! we reduced the amount of food - it is getting better.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello-
I know that certain brands of kibble yield more poop than others (from personal experience). Before I switched mine to raw, she was on Royal Canin (with former owner) and then I briefly tried Orijen and Acana kibbles and she was pooping a TON on Acana. Like every time I took her out. On raw, she goes exactly twice per day - once in morning and once in late afternoon. Looks like you've reduced her food a bit and are already seeing a decrease in amount of poop. That's great! Hope this is the new norm for you. Got any pics of Lola? Would love to see.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Hello-
I know that certain brands of kibble yield more poop than others (from personal experience). Before I switched mine to raw, she was on Royal Canin (with former owner) and then I briefly tried Orijen and Acana kibbles and she was pooping a TON on Acana. Like every time I took her out. On raw, she goes exactly twice per day - once in morning and once in late afternoon. Looks like you've reduced her food a bit and are already seeing a decrease in amount of poop. That's great! Hope this is the new norm for you. Got any pics of Lola? Would love to see.

We're switched to Acana Singles and that's our observation too. More poop compared to Open Nature. But the poops are more solid and consistent. Not to mention, puppers prefer the Acana hands down.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried Acana for my bulldog when he was a puppy and it was too rich, he was always pooping. Both Jax and Louie are on raw and my female bulldog gets Open Farm kibble.

Dogs will generally poop more on kibble but the amount you feed and the brand you feed has an affect on the amount theyโ€™ll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts