Watery Eyes

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Cosette's eyes have wet for the past week; she has a slight discharge
and is sneezing a little more than usual after she is outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Got to be seasonal allergies, might try giving some Benedryl to see if that helps. 1mg. per lb. of weight. Most Frenchies will just take a 25 mg. pill. Hope this helps.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
A word of caution on Benedryl. Out vet recommended it when he was sturggling with food allergies and itching, but found out quickly that it made him vomit. I was giving him 12.5 MG (half a 25 MG pill) and he was 12 pounds at the time so I was giving the correct amount. So if Cosette starts to get sick you might contact your vet for a different brand of antihistamine. We gave Ollie a vet prescribed one and he did just fine with it. Many many people give Benedryl and the dogs are fine, so you should try it. I just wanted to give you a heads up she may react like Ollie and if she does it's nothing to worry about. Just call vet and get a different brand.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
My Boxer gets seasonal allergies once and a while and we have always administered benedryl right away and it helps the watery eyes go away pretty quick. He also swells up easy from certain plants or pollens in the summer/spring so we are always sure to have benedryl with us just in case. And yes we give 1 mg per lb....

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Cosette's eyes have wet for the past week; she has a slight discharge
and is sneezing a little more than usual after she is outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa - Leo seems to have the same issue with the tearing eyes. I don't notice him sneezing any more than usual, but the eyes are definitely very watery.... I might try Benedryl to see how it does.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. She has been taking 25 mg. of Benadryl once a day for about 6 weeks; her vet said it was fine to give her two times a day since it has a short life. I have given her 2 Benadryl a day; I don't see a difference. She tolerates it well. Hoping that the cold blast of air we're getting will kill whatever she is allergic to.

pbois

Reaction score
Benadryl is a great safe/easy/cheap solution if it works, but it generally only works in about 30% of dogs. Something a little stronger OTC that might be an option is Zyrtec at 5mg every 24 hours in a smaller dog or if its just the eyes that are affected trying an OTC eye drop like Naphcon A.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice, Pam. I think I will look for Naphcon A. Have you used it on Bolt before?

pbois

Reaction score
You're welcome! Yes, I have used the Naphcon A in Bolts eyes and it seemed to work quite well......it's nice to have on hand if needed for mild allergies that result in watery eyes. There aren't many OTC eye drops I've seen recommended so it's nice to know about It.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts