8 month old puppy issues.

MarcMeredith

Reaction score
Hello,

Just joined today, looking for some guidance with our 8 month puppy Frankie.

At around 10 weeks we took him to the vets as we noticed he had bumps on his skin like little zits.

They gave us anti biotics for him and that cleared up! (Vet diagnosed as dermatitis)

He was previously fed Wainwright's Wet Puppy Food Atlantic Salmon with Superfoods is a complete balanced wet food that your puppy will love. Made with a hypoallergenic recipe with no added wheat, pork, dairy, soya, artificial flavours, colours or preservatives, you can be assured the highest quality natural ingredients have been chosen with care. This product has been made with a single source protein (taken from the description)

Eventually we moved him to a raw diet as our other dog (pug x parson jack) is also on raw.

Food choice ( venison, wild boar, rabbit, horse with salmon oil and vitamin supplements. Also as treats we use vegetable based treats along with small fish (sprats)

Boy was Frankie demolishing his food 3 times per day around 600g

Until around 7month mark he just stopped eating it completely to the point now that he is 8 months old and sometimes i can take us an hour to get him to eat only 250g.

His fur has started thinning and the raised bumps has come back.

Vets prescribed anti biotics and steriods this time.

We finished the course and nothing changed he is still the same as before vet saw him.

Any advice will be helpful.

Ive also attached photos so you can see.

Thanks

Marc

Attachments

• 20231129_164508.jpg
    20231129_164508.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231129_164742.jpg
    20231129_164742.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231129_164500.jpg
    20231129_164500.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231129_164457.jpg
    20231129_164457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231129_164509.jpg
    20231129_164509.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231129_164453.jpg
    20231129_164453.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231129_164505.jpg
    20231129_164505.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Did they do a scrape and test for mites/mange? At his age (under a year) it could be mange.

You could also try feeding one type of protein at a time to determine if he has any reaction to each of them.. rotate through each for 2-3 weeks and watch for any changes

MarcMeredith

Reaction score
Welcome! Did they do a scrape and test for mites/mange? At his age (under a year) it could be mange.

You could also try feeding one type of protein at a time to determine if he has any reaction to each of them.. rotate through each for 2-3 weeks and watch for any changes
Hi thank you for replying.

They did a scrape test and results was negative for mange and mites.

Vet seems to think its allergy based.

Honestly i feel pretty helpless as i dont want to return to vets if they just going to give him more antibiotics and steriods that dont change the outcome.

We currently bath him using vibrac Allermyl shampoo and douxo S soothing foam.

We have noticed that if we add raw sprats or even fruit to his food blueberries some apple etc he will pick around the meat take the fruit and leave it.

We currently today bought some different proteins to try so if any one else has advice il happily try it!

Will keep post updated as i go.

Thank you

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! As suggested by Christine, I would try one protein at a time for about 2-3 weeks to see if there is any reaction. And no added treats, etc. so you can try and find the cause if it is an allergy.

Have you changed anything in the house that he comes in contact with like detergent, cleaning products, etc?

MarcMeredith

Reaction score
Welcome! As suggested by Christine, I would try one protein at a time for about 2-3 weeks to see if there is any reaction. And no added treats, etc. so you can try and find the cause if it is an allergy.

Have you changed anything in the house that he comes in contact with like detergent, cleaning products, etc?
Hi,

Thank you for replying, nothing has changed environmental in the house.

Yesterday we finally seen an improvement in his eating up from around 250g to 400g now. This success has come from feeding him raw chicken. (Raw shop bought)

We will leave him on this for a week to see if he improves or gets worse.

Thank you

MarcMeredith

Reaction score
Good luck! Keep us posted
So update to the thread!

After skin scrapes, blood tests and skin samples (removal of skin) sent to lab to test, they came back with CDA (colour dilution alopecia).

They are recommending a jab each month to block the "itch" symptom to stop him scratching.

These come at a cost of 130 pounds per month, Unfortunately as of today the insurance also declined the claim as during his first visit to the vet where they diagnosed him with puppy pyoderma the vet mentioned alopecia on the file. No treatment for alopecia has ever been given to Frankie

Due to this now 9 months later they declined our claim of 1400 pounds to cover the tests we had to have to determine the Colour dilution alopecia!

Any advice to fight this would be helpful.
Thanks
Marc

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Insurance is so infuriating… I’ve heard this happen to many people.. a conversation is ‘noted’ in file and insurance denies any claims related to topic since they see it as a preexisting condition 😓😓😓. You can try to fight it stating there was no diagnosis just a conversation of what it is for understanding… it’s worth a try.

MarcMeredith

Reaction score
Insurance is so infuriating… I’ve heard this happen to many people.. a conversation is ‘noted’ in file and insurance denies any claims related to topic since they see it as a preexisting condition 😓😓😓. You can try to fight it stating there was no diagnosis just a conversation of what it is for understanding… it’s worth a try.
Yeah this is what i did he was diagnosed with puppy pyoderma by the vet and during the follow up appointment 1 week later she noted spots of alopecia i stated this was not a diagnosis rather than something to keep and eye on and he was never treated for it.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that sure sucks! Hopefully you can get them to reverse their denial and maybe ask your vet for a letter saying it was not a diagnosis.

Brandy R.

Reaction score
Hi thank you for replying.

They did a scrape test and results was negative for mange and mites.

Vet seems to think its allergy based.

Honestly i feel pretty helpless as i dont want to return to vets if they just going to give him more antibiotics and steriods that dont change the outcome.

We currently bath him using vibrac Allermyl shampoo and douxo S soothing foam.

We have noticed that if we add raw sprats or even fruit to his food blueberries some apple etc he will pick around the meat take the fruit and leave it.

We currently today bought some different proteins to try so if any one else has advice il happily try it!

Will keep post updated as i go.

Thank you
Im new to the frenchie world but I had a pug for 16 yrs..my friends frenchie Turbo was fine then 1 day he looked like he had warts or pimples all over him, his vet gave him benadryl and it cleared up over night ..not sure if this helps but worth a try .

🆕 Latest posts