Advice for 2 new pups from same litter

Hmills22

Reaction score
looking to hear some success stories in raising two puppies from the same litter. So many people keep telling me about littermate syndrome and its just not helping my confidence. Tips rather than warnings would be appreciated

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep them active and social so they are tired... a tired pup is a good pup. Take them on walks together and if you can get into puppy/behavioral training. littermate syndrome is real but with proper training you can be just fine

Hmills22

Reaction score
Great thanks. We like to keep them active anyways and weโ€™re gonna be doing joint and separate walks/training/playing as heard this helps prevent reliance on each other. They get lots of attention in the house from my son and daughter so learning that itโ€™s ok to play on their own. They are never far from a cozy snuggle into each other and love to be around us which I hear is all positive so far.

Hmills22

Reaction score
Also thanks for positive feedback. On another site all I got was really take on board that it is a real thing. No helpful advice at all

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Also thanks for positive feedback. On another site all I got was really take on board that it is a real thing. No helpful advice at all
Some people prefer to focus on the negative - like I said, it is a real syndrome, but if you work and train them, make sure they know you are "boss" (all humans inhome) you should be fine. It seems you have the right plan in place, just stay onsistent with it

Hmills22

Reaction score
Hopefully they continue as they are now!! Iโ€™ve taken a lot away from reading about the syndrome but itโ€™s always good to hear people who have succeeded with two. Although Iโ€™ve been told weโ€™re not the only ones who have ever take on two pups from same litter lol

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! I would advise to do a lot of activities separately like walking, playing, training, etc. so that they don't become so dependent on each other. Also have them sleep separately as well. While I do not have 2 littermates, I do have a very bonded mother and daughter (bulldogs) that are attached to the hip and the mom is very protective of her baby (who really isn't a baby anymore) so I do deal with similar issues as with littermates.