Anesthesia High Risk for Frenchies

Dozer baby

Reaction score
DEATH UNDER SEDATION!!
My baby Dozer who was just 19 months died while having nasal and pallet surgery. The Vetrinarian stated he should have it and said the surgeon does this all the time. And leads to better health, I was Leary and should of stuck to my gut feeling..
After speaking with the Surgeon while I'm holding my deceased Dozer he stated " Yes that for Frenchies it is a HIGH RISK FOR UNDERGOING Anesthesia!! Which he said in there surgeon forums it is discussed and shared for as High Risk Breed.
He was very apologetic since my Dozer had woken up and stood up and moved around for 2 minutes in recovery but then suddenly collapsed. CPR was performed but to no success, he suggested that I might want to get a pathology and autopsy done which I am doing.
So my advice for all you Frenchie Parents, only have surgery if it is a life or death situation...

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So very sorry for the loss of your sweet Dozer. Sadly, this is very true, and flat faced breed is higher risk for surgery due to the structure of the airway. They have to be brought out of anesthesia slowly and carefully and monitor for a period time to ensure they are doing well.

Rest well Dozer.

Dozer baby

Reaction score
So very sorry for the loss of your sweet Dozer. Sadly, this is very true, and flat faced breed is higher risk for surgery due to the structure of the airway. They have to be brought out of anesthesia slowly and carefully and monitor for a period time to ensure they are doing well.

Rest well Dozer.
That is what I thought, I had asked the Doctor about that and he said they gave him Narcan and I asked was it slow or fast..Because I was a medic before and know that you must bring them up slowly.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I know a couple of bulldogs who passed the same way. I believe it’s not necessarily undergoing the anesthesia, but coming out of it. They definitely need special care and not all vets are capable. RIP Dozer.