Bad shedding/itching on Canidae PURE

Margotsparents

Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for any advice given here. So, we've tried a few grain free foods without any luck. Wellness grain free, she was shedding so bad we couldn't stand it. TOTW was nearly as bad but not quite. When we tried Canidae grain free, it got alot better and then stopped when we went to the sea formula. All was well for a couple months, but now she's shedding like crazy and her back end(above her hips) is itching. This morning I woke up to her scratching against a chair in the kitchen with a blood raw spot on her back! We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Obviously a vet visit is coming this week, but I'm curious about possible food switches. Is a raw diet that much more expensive that it wouldn't be worth trying?

side note: Nothing in her routine has changed. Not spending more than a few minutes at a time outside to potty, and no other changes. Same regular brushings and weekly baths<~~ is that too often maybe?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
When you made all the food changes... did you change the protein source too? My Bulldog is allergic to chicken and vey sensitive to salmon, so I have to avoid both those proteins.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Weekly baths are too often, we bathe our dogs 4 times a year, and I'm going to twice a year. But obviously there is more involved here than over bathing. You could have a blood test done for food allergies that would help you make food choices. The allergy tests have a problem with accurate results sometimes, but can be a guide. My EB is allergic to ingredients in most dog food so I use Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey. He is doing well on it.

Margotsparents

Reaction score
thanks for both replies! we did try different protein sources. It looked like the salmon was going to be the best for her, but she's at her worst right now as far as the itching. We're definitely going to get her blood work done to hopefully have some answers. would a raw diet mayeb be the best choice? I was looking at the I and Love and You nude formula, and it seems like a good option.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would say try a different food and different protein source. Ours didn't do well with salmon either, or chicken.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
[MENTION=60]Margotsparents[/MENTION]
I feed a raw diet and I can only recommend it! And it really isnt that expensive! We only pay maybe $15 more per month than we did with the kibble(we fed Go! Turkey puppy chow). The few extra dollars per month are very much worth it to me.I now know exactly what my pup is eating and I can guarantee its hormone/ chemical free HUMANE food.

If you have any questions about the raw diet feel free to ask :)

Willowrun

Reaction score
Please take her off the Canidae immediately....they changed their binding ingredients about 3 years ago....the food has gotten bad reviews and even more terrible results. They did not inform the retailers or the public...one of our dogs got so sick from a meal that she was in the hospital 4 hours after earing eith vomiting,stomache cramps and bloody stools. She did pull through,but we contacted Canidae,stopped carrying thir foods and have never recommended it or feed since.
There are many opinions as to what kibble or raw regime you should try....i wont get into that. We feed ours one food now ...I have 9 and have no health issues and no allergy issues and no Vet visits. Good luck...its exasperating when you try to do good and buy products that make your pup miserable. And make sure shes not getting any crazy treats with red,green,yellow or orange colors...thats all for the humans to buy not for the dogs to eat. ,

Margotsparents

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice! This is definitely a challenge! Her only treats are feozen blueberries and sometimes carrots.