Beau Tested Positive For Crypto Parasite

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Beau has had blood in his stool since we got him. The breeder treated them all for Coccidia because of the bloody stool but that did nothing for Beau. Our vet tested him for coccidia and it was negative. Then we had him tested for 13 different parasites and he was positive for 5. YIKES!!! The vet said Crypto was the one causing blood in his poop. He has seen it in calves. He is researching to see if there is a medication for pups. We have an appointment tomorrow so we'll see what he comes up with. My question is has anyone else had a puppy with this parasite? He is very active, plays all the time, eats and drinks well. We are hoping Buster doesn't get it!

Nicole G

Reaction score
Oh no! Poor baby. He is a doll (I saw his pictures in your other thread! I'm a sucker for brindles, especially.;)).

Please keep us posted - I've never heard of that parasite before, only in livestock. :heart:

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I'm pasting this from my vet manual:

Antiprotozoal and antibiotic agents have been shown to be effective:
Azithromycin, 7-15 mg/kg PO q 12 h for 5-7 days. Current drug of choice for human cryptosporidiosis. Studies in cats
have not been performed, but efficacy would be expected.
Paromomycin, 125-165 mg/kg PO q 12 h for 5 days, was the traditional drug of choice, but because of side effects, it
has fallen from favor.
Tylosin, 11 mg/kg PO q 12 h for 28 days, helpful in treatment of diarrhea only
Nitazoxanide successfully used in human infections but dose for cats and dogs still under research
CHRONIC TREATMENT
Treatment of concurrent antibiotic-responsive enteritis/small-intestinal bacterial overgrowth (metronidazole, 10-15 mg/kg PO q 12-24 hours for 5-7 days) may be beneficial in addition to treatment for Cryptosporidium.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't give your dog azithromycin 7 mg/kg twice daily for 5 days +/- Metronidazole 10 mg/kg twice daily for 5 days

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes!! I’ve never heard of that one...I hope he gets better soon and keep us posted! Do you now have to test Buster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy crud... five! I never heard of the one you mentioned, hope he gets rid of it quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Holy crud... five! I never heard of the one you mentioned, hope he gets rid of it quick

It's one of the protozoa, along with coccidia and Giardia lamblia that are more common.

Scientists have found oocysts of Cryptosporidium and cysts of Giardia in our drinking water, since conventional water treatment doesn't affect them. It doesn't seem to affect us at the low levels they found, but it's a good idea to use a 1 micron or smaller water filter to filter them out.

Even scarier, atypical mycobacteria ( similar to the bacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy ) are in our tap water, and can cause infections in immunocompromised humans and in fact is one of the criteria in diagnosing AIDS in HIV positive patients. These are very hard to eliminate from our households, informative article on this here : https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201301-013FR

mattcantwin

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about this, hoping proper medication works quickly.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
It's one of the protozoa, along with coccidia and Giardia lamblia that are more common.

Scientists have found oocysts of Cryptosporidium and cysts of Giardia in our drinking water, since conventional water treatment doesn't affect them. It doesn't seem to affect us at the low levels they found, but it's a good idea to use a 1 micron or smaller water filter to filter them out.

Even scarier, atypical mycobacteria ( similar to the bacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy ) are in our tap water, and can cause infections in immunocompromised humans and in fact is one of the criteria in diagnosing AIDS in HIV positive patients. These are very hard to eliminate from our households, informative article on this here : https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201301-013FR

Thank you!!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't give your dog azithromycin 7 mg/kg twice daily for 5 days +/- Metronidazole 10 mg/kg twice daily for 5 days

Thank you! Our vet wants to let his immune system fight it for a while anyway. He is very active, normal temp, good appetite, drinks a lot of water, pooping and peeing normally. The blood usually appears at the end of his bowel movement.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Yikes!! I’ve never heard of that one...I hope he gets better soon and keep us posted! Do you now have to test Buster?

Me too! I let the breeder know because the other pups probably have it too!

Me too. I let the breeder know because the other pups could have it too! Buster's poop is normal so far.

Alice Kable

Reaction score

That is just plain scary! Thank you so much for the information! Our city water tastes like chlorine -- I can smell it Monday mornings. I drink bottled water!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Thank you! Our vet wants to let his immune system fight it for a while anyway. He is very active, normal temp, good appetite, drinks a lot of water, pooping and peeing normally. The blood usually appears at the end of his bowel movement.

Sounds good, I'm not an expert in this by any means, but if he does decide to prescribe, hopefully he'll prescribe azithromycin. Hope he gets better soon !

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Oh poor little guy. Glad he doesn't appear to be suffering from it, though. 5 parasites? Scary stuff! Hope he is feeling better very soon and Buster does not start showing symptoms.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm not an expert in this by any means, but if he does decide to prescribe, hopefully he'll prescribe azithromycin. Hope he gets better soon !

Thank you so much for this information!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Oh poor little guy. Glad he doesn't appear to be suffering from it, though. 5 parasites? Scary stuff! Hope he is feeling better very soon and Buster does not start showing symptoms.

I know! He doesn't act sick al all. He is so active and playful!

blushy

Reaction score
Oh gosh, parasites are a dang nuisance! I’m seriously traumatized to get another puppy now after Titan and his parasite fiasco hahahahaha.

Sending love and luck! Beat those gross parasites!
[emoji3590]

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Oh gosh, parasites are a dang nuisance! I’m seriously traumatized to get another puppy now after Titan and his parasite fiasco hahahahaha.

Sending love and luck! Beat those gross parasites!
[emoji3590]

I hear you there. Beau's was an unplanned breeding. His young mother arrived from Ukraine at 5 mos. old in December. Hopefully all of the dogs get tested before breeding!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Poor Beau! I'm glad to hear that it's not bothering him.
[MENTION=894]blushy[/MENTION] - I think of Titan anytime I know someone who's got a pup with parasites. lol!

blushy

Reaction score
Poor Beau! I'm glad to hear that it's not bothering him.
[MENTION=894]blushy[/MENTION] - I think of Titan anytime I know someone who's got a pup with parasites. lol!

Me too, ME TOO!
Gives me flashbacks. Major trauma there.

[emoji1787]