Best Airline Carriers for 20lb+ Frenchies!

RouxsMom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel from Atlanta to Chicago during the holidays and want to take my frenchie with me. She is about 5 months now and weighs 14 lbs. My vet estimates she will be about 22-25 lbs fully grown.

Do any of you have recommendations on carriers that can fit a frenchie comfortably under the seat? Does anyone know size restrictions for major airlines offhand?

Many of the travel carriers I'm finding are only up to 15 lbs.

My psychiatrist wrote me a letter to allow her to be my emotional companion on airlines. I am not sure if this helps!

Thank you!!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this but I know there have been other threads so maybe try doing a search? Search button is on the top right corner.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I think if your girl is a registered service dog she can travel with you. Do not under any circumstances let her ride with the luggage. You may need to buy a seat for her. Check with airlines.

Joann H

Reaction score
I know there is a 20 pound limit on JetBlue. Go check out restrictions on your airline for pets, they will outline what is acceptable. You might also need to bring copy of vaccines from your vet. Every airline has their own requirements. Also, check out the Sherpa dog carriers, they come in various sizes, S, M and L.

If you have that letter from your psychiatrist, you might be able to just carry her on and leave her on your lap. I would check that out first.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I think if your girl is a registered service dog she can travel with you. Do not under any circumstances let her ride with the luggage. You may need to buy a seat for her. Check with airlines.

Just an FYI, there is no such thing as a registry for service dogs and a service dog is different than an emotional support dog. A service dog performs tasks for a person with disabilities whereas an ESA is just that, emotional support. People abuse this all the time so that their dog can sit on their lap in airplanes or live in a apartment that does not otherwise allow pets. It gets very confusing but I just wanted to clarify to help people better understand the difference.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Just an FYI, there is no such thing as a registry for service dogs and a service dog is different than an emotional support dog. A service dog performs tasks for a person with disabilities whereas an ESA is just that, emotional support. People abuse this all the time so that their dog can sit on their lap in airplanes or live in a apartment that does not otherwise allow pets. It gets very confusing but I just wanted to clarify to help people better understand the difference.

WOW! Thanks for the information. So can a person just purchase a service dog vest and their dog can go anywhere with them?

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the information. So can a person just purchase a service dog vest and their dog can go anywhere with them?

Yes, they can purchase a vest to fraudulently represent that their dog is a service dog, but under ADA if the dog acts up or poses a threat to a patron or another service animal they can be asked to leave. If you are caught there is jail time and a fine, but it varies by state.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Yes, they can purchase a vest to fraudulently represent that their dog is a service dog, but under ADA if the dog acts up or poses a threat to a patron or another service animal they can be asked to leave. If you are caught there is jail time and a fine, but it varies by state.

They need to have strict rules and enforce them or eventually it will ruin it for legit. service dogs!

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel from Atlanta to Chicago during the holidays and want to take my frenchie with me. She is about 5 months now and weighs 14 lbs. My vet estimates she will be about 22-25 lbs fully grown.

Do any of you have recommendations on carriers that can fit a frenchie comfortably under the seat? Does anyone know size restrictions for major airlines offhand?

Many of the travel carriers I'm finding are only up to 15 lbs.

My psychiatrist wrote me a letter to allow her to be my emotional companion on airlines. I am not sure if this helps!

Thank you!!!

I travel all the time and I've found the best bag is the Sturdibag. It can easily smooth down to fit under the seat and because of this feature, you can get the large or xtra large. It's also extremely light. Whereas I found the Sherpa bags to be fairly heavy