Flying with frenchie

alx18027

Reaction score
I'm flying with my 22lb 1 year old french bulldog over Christmas for the first time. She's about 12 inches tall (measuring up to her shoulder when she's standing) and fits comfortably in the approved medium delta sherpa carrier. I've reserved her seat on both flights, have an appointment with the vet today and have started familiarizing her with the carrier.

I think the flight itself will be fine, but I am concerned about the checkin process and their weight requirement. She is 22lbs and a combined 24lbs with the sherpa carrier. I've read mixed things, but some say airlines have a 20lb max weight and I'd love to know anyones experience as to how strict they are with weighing the pup in her carrier and enforcing the weight restriction. She is able to standup, turnaround, etc. The only issue we're concerned with is she's heavier than the 20lbd weight limit. She's a frenchie so she's all muscle!

Any tips or recommendations are much appreciated! We're flying on American and Delta from LAX to ATL.

Thanks in advance!!

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
I travel a lot with my frenchie and she's only been weighed once. But she wouldn't sit still so impossible to get an accurate weight! The key is to have your frenchie out of the carry bag when you check in. Or hold her. I find the check in people always fawn over Carrot! They get distracted by her cuteness :) So, normally the weight issue isn't a problem. But she's also under 20 lbs, but still it's hard to guesstimate how much a frenchie weighs.
Good luck!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Not sure how strict they are, we have always flown with pups that were 12 to 13 weeks old, so weight was not a problem. I friend of ours flew with an English bulldog pup, that weighed close to 25 pounds and she didn't have any problem, but the airline she flew on allowed 25 pound dogs. Plus I agree, keep the Frenchie out of the carrier until you board the plane, maybe that will let you skate by. But what ever you do, do not let them put the Frenchie in the cargo hold. Good luck. :)