Best dry food available in Italy

LittleMonsters

Reaction score
Hello all - I've been doing some reading on dog food for my 1,5 year old Frenchie. She has eaten Forza10 Hypoallergenic dry food (first puppy, then adult) since she came home, as that is what our old lady Frenchie (13,5 years old) has always eaten due to food allergies and done really well on. Our older bully has great skin and fur and so we figured we'd get the puppy on it too so that if ever they "snuck" into each other's food bowls the old gal wouldn't have a reaction.

But we've noticed that our puppy seems a little undernourished - she doesn't have great fur (it's rough and thin in some places) and in general just does not look completely at her best. It is possible, as she had parvo at 7 mos old (was vaccinated but still got it) and almost died, that she was stunted in her growth during a critical phase and so will always be a bit more delicate, but we wanted to try to slowly switch her food to see if perhaps a better dry food will help "beef her up" in terms of skin, immunity, and overall health.

That said, living in Italy means that not all the foods available in the UK/USA are available here. I've looked around and found that we can get Acana and Orijen here, but there are so many different "flavors" and formulas that I'm not sure what to choose. She does have a bit of a delicate stomach, too, I don't know if either of these brands have an "intestinal" formula.

These are the major brands readily available here: Acana, Affinity, Almo nature, Alpha spirit, Beyond, Canagan, Carnilove, Cerere, Ciuffi, Class preference, Dr. clauder's, Drn, Enova ,Eukanuba, Exclusion, Expecial, Farmina, Forza10, Frolic, , Hi beef, Hi duck, Hi fish, Hill's, Iams, In the nature, Italian way, Kiramore, Monge, Naturea, Next, Nutro wild, Ok dog, Orijen, Pralzoo, Proplan, Royal canin, Royal canin breed, Royal canin size, Rusty, Schesir, Start, Stuzzy, Tonus dog chow, Top energy, Trainer, Trainer fitness, Trainer natural, Trainer personal, Virtus, Wildfield, Zoori.

Out of these, would you all suggest Acana or Orijen (if so, is there a preference one over the other?) and which formulas for a young Frenchie with occasional digestive upsets?

THANK YOU!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree... Farmina ND or Acana singles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
So if your puppy doesn't have any allergies, you can always add on a different Acana later from the Regionals line. If your dog does develop a lot of allergies later while on the Acana Singles line try to switch to frozen raw dog food.

LittleMonsters

Reaction score
We've switched to the Acana Singles Lamb - she's not really a big fan of it, turns her nose up unless I add something else like grated parmesan or cooked carrots. Will finish out this small bag and then perhaps try a different flavor. When switching between different singles, do you guys do a gradual switch like you do when you completely change food or do you just feed one one day and the new one the next?

Her fur does seem to look a bit healthier, so that's good!
Thanks for all the help!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We've switched to the Acana Singles Lamb - she's not really a big fan of it, turns her nose up unless I add something else like grated parmesan or cooked carrots. Will finish out this small bag and then perhaps try a different flavor. When switching between different singles, do you guys do a gradual switch like you do when you completely change food or do you just feed one one day and the new one the next?

Her fur does seem to look a bit healthier, so that's good!
Thanks for all the help!

No, you can just switch ... try the, I think it is pork and pear, some have had success with that one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sarahk12

Reaction score
Hi! I am also living in Italy. Our baby boy is almost 1 years old but he has always had trouble with soft stools. We had him on Trainer which was really good but we switched to Royal Canin to try and fix his soft stool but didn't work. Now we are trying "Hi", also an Italian brand but still the same. I think we will go back to Trainer (salmone + riso Gluten Free for puppies) it seemed to be the best! Let me know what you end up choosing.

LittleMonsters

Reaction score
Hi! I am also living in Italy. Our baby boy is almost 1 years old but he has always had trouble with soft stools. We had him on Trainer which was really good but we switched to Royal Canin to try and fix his soft stool but didn't work. Now we are trying "Hi", also an Italian brand but still the same. I think we will go back to Trainer (salmone + riso Gluten Free for puppies) it seemed to be the best! Let me know what you end up choosing.

So we tried the Acana Singles Lamb but it ended up being way too rich for her digestion and she had diarrhea even after a very gradual switch and probiotics, plus it was not appetizing at all to her so she would often go without eating (she's super picky) which would cause her to get nauseous and cause her to not want to eat even more. So we've gone back to Royal Canin GastroIntestinal which she loves and has solid stools on. I'm not really a fan of Royal Canin as a brand, and a friend of ours has her bully on Forza 10 gastrointestinal, so we're going to borrow a few cups of that food to see if she likes it, and if so, we'll do a gradual switch over to that brand. But it is a battle between good quality food and what she wants to eat, so we'll see.

🆕 Latest posts