FAQ: Is your Frenchie crate trained?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Did your crate train your Frenchie? Why did you decide to?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I disagree with people that keep dogs in kennels all the time. You cant just lock them up so you dont have to worry about them or watch them or clean the house more often.
However if you kennel your dog when its a puppy and you have to go somewhere or if your dog destroys furniture etc while you're gone I agree with it as long as its not 7 hours a day or more.
When we got Maple as a puppy we had her in her kennel at night and when we left the house. I think it helped quite a bit with house breaking. We soon found out though that she can be trusted alone so she has been out of her crate at night and when we leave the house for a few months now (I think we started when she was about 7 months old.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, Cheli has never gone potty in his crate, but he used to love goiing anywhere in the house!! :stinkeye: he is fully trained now, or should I say we are... he still will not signal he has to go, we just keep him on a very tight schedule

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Um, NOPE! Epic failure on my part. I bought the crate, and we just never followed through with it and every time he was put in he was just so sad and he would cry and bark so we always ended up taking him out. When we first got him, he was confined to an X pen in the kitchen to sleep but after a couple of months he started sleeping in the bed with us. When we have to leave him alone, he is confined to the kitchen because I don't think he could be trusted to have free reign of the house. The crate now sits in the rec room downstairs collecting dust.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
We initially crate trained Jake and he would sleep in it at night. If I was gone during the day I would put his crate in the x-pen with the door open. He was a really good boy and never cried, but I selfishly wanted to snuggle with him and so into bed he went with me and my hubby. Stella still sleeps in a bed in the kitchen in an x-pen. The one time I tried to pull her into bed when my husband was out of town, I woke up to poop at 1 am!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I wouldn't try to house train a dog without a crate. :)

mmclean

Reaction score
I crate trained Radar but now that he is potty trained and I can trust him overnight and in the house during the day (4 hours max), it has been broken down and put away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynnie

Reaction score
I crate trained Rose and it worked out beautifully. For me, it wasn't all about potty training, it was also about keeping her safe when I wasn't home. I would of feared for her throughout the day....what is she getting into? Has she ripped up that magazine on the table into a zillion little pieces? I wanted to set Rose up for success. Once Rose proved that she could be left out of the crate while not at home, I eased into it. Starting slowly, maybe I'd leave her out while I ran to the store, then maybe while at dinner, then a few hours....once again, not overwhelming her and setting her up for success. At this point, I only use the crate for long distance traveling. I do still have it set up, and sometimes when I come home I find her snuggled up in her crate. She loves her crate, it's her safe place.

eeturk

Reaction score
I crate trained Radar but now that he is potty trained and I can trust him overnight and in the house during the day (4 hours max), it has been broken down and put away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here with Hudson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikki86

Reaction score
We crate trained zeta as a puppy so she stayed in the kennel when we ran to the barn or store so she wouldn't potty on the carpet while she was alone and at about 12 weeks old she was house trained and could hold it reliably so she now only goes in a kennel when we fly

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I crate trained both dogs. Uma was allowed free reign of the house at 10 months old. Wally was just over 1 year old. Neither dog has ever had an accident or chewed anything they shouldn't. It worked well for both of them.

Chan Kai Cheong

Reaction score
I dont think crate training is necessary, but it is important to limit the area that it can go
they are curious to everything, even he get used to the place but may be on day, he will decided to chew on something dangerous
I will not risk it

anns4boys

Reaction score
We used a crate when T was a puppy. She was very rarely alone during the day, she goes to work with my husband, but we crated her at night and on the rare occasion that she was home alone. She is a very mild mannered puppy ( unless you watch the video I posted with her barking like a crazy dog at the other frenchies, lol) and she was never destructive. We stopped using the crate when she was potty trained which wasn't until she was
about 8 months. We just recently purchased a new one on the recommendation of the trainer we are using for her obedience training. She strongly believes that dogs have a natural "denning instinct" and should have a cozy place to retreat to. We have it all set up with blankets and pillows and leave the door open, she would never be locked in. She has used it once since I purchased it - prefers her big cushy bed in front of the fire. so much for her denning instinct!

Ralphysmom

Reaction score
I have a three month old Frenchie and he loves his crate. He is in it for 4 hours in the morning and then out for an hour for lunch and playtime and then back in for just short of 3 hours - We did have him in an expen but he destroyed it - tore up the pee pads (which i wish i never started using in the first place) and pooped and would drag the pee pad holder through the poop (eat the poop)... short story -
EW :( we will use the expen once again (without pee pads) when he is older. But for now crating is working for us :)

eeturk

Reaction score
We just recently purchased a new one on the recommendation of the trainer we are using for her obedience training. She strongly believes that dogs have a natural "denning instinct" and should have a cozy place to retreat to. We have it all set up with blankets and pillows and leave the door open, she would never be locked in. She has used it once since I purchased it - prefers her big cushy bed in front of the fire. so much for her denning instinct!

Hudson is the same way! We finally put the crate away because he just wouldn't use it, no denning instinct here either haha. We did crate train as a puppy though and it was a godsend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425444876.926568.jpg

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Hudson is the same way! We finally put the crate away because he just wouldn't use it, no denning instinct here either haha. We did crate train as a puppy though and it was a godsend.

View attachment 5577

Same here. I pulled their crate out last night to see if either dog was interested. Uma went in right away, only because she wanted to beat Wally to it. She came out minutes later and Wally wasn't interested at all. Just sniffed it and walked away. It was very useful when they both were puppies though and I would use a crate again.

blushy

Reaction score
I crate trained, Id never not crate train a puppy... If you nix it when they're older that's fine. But I have a toddler and many many toys, too nervous to leave Isabelle run of the house... So she just turned 1, but she still gets crated when she's home alone, or if I'm cleaning and there are chemicals she can't be around. :) (like when I mop lol)

Reaction score
The lady we got Sarge from in Oklahoma starts crate training the puppies around 6 weeks old. She puts them in at night to get used to the crate for their plane flight so Sarge has had several crates. I work at home and never leave. My husband is here 99.9% of the time. He's 2 1/2 now and never chewed anything but on the rare occasion I do leave he sits at the door and cries for me until I come back. Drives my husband nuts. He doesn't cry when Jim goes but he's used to him leaving everyday for about an hour. On the rare occasions we leave together I still crate Sarge because I don't know if he'd dig at the door and ruin it. He uses cave beds around the house and loves them but on occasion he ventures into his crate all by himself for a little snooze and sometimes shuts the door on himself. Very cute actually.

Fosta Mama

Reaction score
I think it's very important to crate train your Frenchie. Our Frenchies are notorious for suffering spinal injuries. Strict crate rest is generally a necessity.... for 1-2 months or more. If your Frenchie is not crate trained, they are going to freak out in the crate when they are supposed to be staying still and calm. Just one good reason for crate training!

adlerx

Reaction score
Tiggy took right to the crate when we got him at 7 months, he had never been crated but training was a breeze. He's a very good dog so we don't use the crate often but he does go in there on his own sometimes to sleep. All we have to do is tell him "do the drill" and he goes straight to the crate, no treats, no toys, no bone. he's never pooped or peed in there but has vomited a couple times.