Food Survey--What is everyone feeding their Frenchies??

Maddie

Reaction score
My frenchie, Maddie, is 10 months old. Got back from the vet yesterday because she was having issues with her ears which turned out to be a yeast infection. (got drops and ear cleaner.) Her Vet said it might be due to food allergy. She is currently on grain free turkey and sweet potato. The vet said frenchies most common food allergies are to chicken and turkey. I started researching all the different grain free foods and found it quite overwhelming. Wondered what input you all had. Raw is out for us at this point.

vako

Reaction score
taste of the wild lamb formula. they have different formulas,bison waterfowl,etc. but the lamb is for all life stages. go to there website and read testimonials.

FrenchieDante

Reaction score
Blue buffalo chicken grain free puppy... Plan on switching off of chicken when he grows up.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I feed raw and believe in it 110%. My dog and my kitten are on a 100% raw and natural diet and I will never feed anything else again.
But you said raw is out of question at this point.

When maple was a pup she was on Go! Puppy food which I think is a good kibble(as good as kibble can be).
Defintely switch to a higher quality kibble like Go! or Acana.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Fromm Beef Fritatta or Lamb & Lentil, Coconut oil, nuvet plus and coconut. I also home cook for them in between. For other treats we use frozen green beans, bananas, and carrots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
FROMM Pork and Peas and FROMM Puppy Gold.

Maddie

Reaction score
What is the cost of raw vs kibble MaplesMommy? I worry about the bacteria in raw food. I,guess I'm not sure if I can stomach it. I know dogs love it though. I started giving Maddie plain yogurt twice a day and will start giving her coconut oil as well. Hope that helps keep the yeast at bay.

eeturk

Reaction score
We tried all the different highly rated grain free kibbles and Hudson was a mess on all of them and wouldn't eat. Switched to Stella & Chewy (which IS raw, but it's "safe raw" and dehydrated) and have never ever looked back. I've got a totally different dog on my hands. I'll never feed a dog anything else.

Maddie

Reaction score
We tried all the different highly rated grain free kibbles and Hudson was a mess on all of them and wouldn't eat. Switched to Stella & Chewy (which IS raw, but it's "safe raw" and dehydrated) and have never ever looked back. I've got a totally different dog on my hands. I'll never feed a dog anything else.

Good to know....where do you get it and what's the cost? Thx.

eeturk

Reaction score
Good to know....where do you get it and what's the cost? Thx.

I buy it at a local pet store because that's the cheapest place I've found it. I'm spending about $25 a week on it now, which is the most expensive it'll ever get for me (he's at the very end of puppy stage, so eating a lot and about to be transitioned down). It's available on amazon, chewy, and at some pet stores. Their website has the places around you that sell it listed. It is expensive, but for us it's less expensive than vet trips and worth it for a healthier, happier little guy.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Fromm grain free line... I alternate between Pork and Peas. And Lamb and Lentil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
What is the cost of raw vs kibble MaplesMommy? I worry about the bacteria in raw food. I,guess I'm not sure if I can stomach it. I know dogs love it though. I started giving Maddie plain yogurt twice a day and will start giving her coconut oil as well. Hope that helps keep the yeast at bay.

It costs me about 100$ per month to feed Maple. But she gets local, Gras Fed,Free Ranged,unpasteurized meat. This is the most expensive kind. I could go with the non local and pasteurized food which would be quite a bit cheaper, probably around 70$ per month.
A good quality kibble however also isnt cheap.

Don't worry about the Salmonella. Just make sure you wash your hands afterwards and everything should be fine. Did you know that even kibble contains salmonella?

KimB3384

Reaction score
If your dog is prone to yeast, you want to make sure you avoid foods with potatoes, sweet potatoes, and honey.

If you're at all interested in researching raw, check out this site: http://reelrawdog.com/. They've got mixes on there that wind up being $2.99/lb. and are already at the right level of meat/bone/organ. I did the math and can feed my gal for less than $50/mo.

mmclean

Reaction score
I feed Radar Natural Balance venison and sweet potatoe. I went through a bunch of food before I landed on this one and it seems to help with all of the tummy troubles he was having.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
My daughter's Am. bulldog rescue was having terrible ear infections...as soon as one cleared up on meds. another would occur. A friend who owns a pet supply store seems to think that sweet potatoes can be inflammatory so we switched her food to Horizon Pulsar fish formula, which is grain free. Her ears have never been better!

lkclark

Reaction score
Morning: nugget(s) of Primal Raw duck formula + wet/dry Fromm

Noon: wet/dry Fromm + NuVet

Evening: wet/dry Fromm

Throughout the Day: pieces of fruit & Wellness treats

mhuinker

Reaction score
Fromm Pork & Peas and Fromm Salmon Tunalini, both grain free, as well as raw (Blue Ridge Beef or Stella & Chewy's)

Maddie

Reaction score
It costs me about 100$ per month to feed Maple. But she gets local, Gras Fed,Free Ranged,unpasteurized meat. This is the most expensive kind. I could go with the non local and pasteurized food which would be quite a bit cheaper, probably around 70$ per month.
A good quality kibble however also isnt cheap.

Don't worry about the Salmonella. Just make sure you wash your hands afterwards and everything should be fine. Did you know that even kibble contains salmonella?

I had no idea that kibble had salmonella. Hmmmmm. Worried about it for Maddie not me. $100 seems reasonable for homemade raw. Would you mind messaging me the recipe or posting it? Thanks.
Also, do you know how much of the nutritional value is lost if those ingredients were cooked? (homemade cooked)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yes kibble does contain salmonella. There has been lots of kibble recalls because the salmonella level was so high it made some people really sick. So there has been a few incidents of people getting sick from handling kibble but non were reported from people handling raw meat.
As for your pup , you really dont have to worry. Her GI is much more accidy than a humans. You would actually burn your hands really bad if you were to touch it. Thats why dogs can eat raw meat and humans cant.They can handle it without any problems.
Cooking does destroy some of the nutrients but home cooked is still sooo much better than kibble. Kibble is highly processed and contains things that are super strange and scary.

I am lucky that I have a pet 'health store' close by. They sell the meat in little nuggets and its already balanced.
But you can make your own. Its rather simple. Just keep the ratio 80%(meat)- 10%(organ)-10%(bone) in mind.
How old is your dog ?
3% (for an adult) x your dogs weight = your dogs daily amount of food.
Take the daily amount and then x 80% = amount of meat daily
Daily amount x 10% = amount of organ daily
Daily amount x 10% = amount of bone daily

So all you really need is a kitchen scale (to weigh the food). It doesnt have to be 80-10-10 every single day.Just calculate the weekly requirements of everything and try to follow up through out the week.

You can probably find some good meat at a local farmers market and a pet store close by should sell some frozen meaty bones.