Frenchie not been right since we've had him

AAhmed

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have any advice please. I'm aware that I need to get a full allergy test done but any suggestions in the meantime. He is the most picky eater. Eats nothing for more then 2 or 3 meals. Not one week has gone past that he has not vomited. His eyes are red quite often. He is currently on ProDog Raw yet to find a mix he likes for more then a couple of meal. He keeps swallowing as if he has acid reflux. I know it's alot but any advice welcomed plz

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I also have a very picky eater and he also has bad allergies too.

What symptoms does your Frenchie show that he could have allergies????
For atopic dermatitis(environmental allergies causing skin issues) the best thing to do is go to a dermatologist or a vet that does environmental allergy skin testing(Intradermal Allergy skin testing) and then once that test gets done you know exactly what his allergies are in environmental and from there the vet can create a allergy specific immunotherapy that stops him from reacting to those specific allergies.
I never did the allergy blood test as it’s not accurate. The only way to know what food he is allergic to is to do an elimination diet trail.

One thing I recommend in the meantime is add herring oil for omega 3 to keep inflammation down. I use the Thrive Herring oil(Thrive is the brand). It definitely helps minimize inflammation.

What protein is he fed now??
Is there multiple proteins??

What treats do you give?? Stay with single ingredients treats(beef liver is good).
I recommend staying away from chicken, Turkey because they are high in the pro inflammatory fat, and most frenchies are allergic to chicken. Also recommend staying away from grains as that is another common allergy.

I cook for Rusty and it’s greatly helped.
Rusty is extremely picky too and he loves the home cooked.

Are you able to cook for him for a week or so to see if anything improves?

Extra lean ground Beef and sweet potato is great for Inflammation and the allergies especially when you add the herring oil(this herring oil does NOT go rancid so there is nothing to worry about when giving the herring oil).

Open farm brand has gently cooked in beef and also Turkey and salmon formulas that are available at pet store and if in US they can deliver. Rusty liked it for 2 months before I started cooking for him.

Also other things he would benefit from:

Four Leaf Rover brand has Bovine Colostrum which helps with allergies(I give it to Rusty daily and it has helped greatly with allergies). His paws are no longer red and he is less itchy.
Bone broth(open farm has a good beef bone broth with anti inflammatory foods like turmeric)

Probiotics are good too when allergy or other immune problems too as it’s good for gut health.
Bone broth and probiotics strength immune system.

For the vomiting, is he vomiting at night and before breakfast in the morning???
If he is vomiting at night and before breakfast then a snack before bed would help(Rusty vomits foam in the middle of the night and before breakfast if he doesn’t have a snack before bed). See if a small snack before bed helps.

The bone broth, probiotics and colostrum all improve and soothe their gut.

If the allergies are affecting the skin, I recommend giving him a bath a couple times a week with a hypoallergenic shampoo or a medicated shampoo.

Keep us updated!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention the vomiting can be due to a food allergy as well.

It can also be caused by elongated soft palate. Does he show any signs of choking/gagging, coughing, exercise intolerance sometimes and snoring and noisy breathing and vomiting.

I am happy to help as I have been they all this with Rusty( bad allergies and VERY picky eater, vomiting due to empty stomach and soft palate and nose surgery).
Other good raw food companies is Carnivora, Darwins are the raw food companies I know of.

For the eyes watering, Rusty also has that issue from allergies and dermatologist has us using Eye Stream which is a eye rinse you can get at a pharmacy(completely safe for the dogs just saline solution with antibacterial to rinse out allergy irritations).

Keep us updated!

AAhmed

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your advice will stay away from chicken as I think it might be an issue aswell as everything I've tried so far seems to also have chicken. There are no visible signs except for the red eyes excessive swallowing and licking paws. Will definitely try the herring oil .

AAhmed

Reaction score
Vomiting is pretty much after eating a meal. Do you suggest staying away from poultry ?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
What proteins have you tried??

Yes I recommend staying away from poultry(Turkey, chicken and duck) because they are all high in a pro inflammatory fat that causes inflammation and very low in the omega 3, but some Frenchies do well on duck but for your frenchie with the inflammation I recommend sticking to beef, goat, rabbit, lamb, Buffalo, kangaroo would be great and possibly pork. Definitely try the herring oil, bone broth and probiotics as that all will help improve gut health. If the vomiting is after a meal, I would give digestive enzymes(you can get probiotics with added digestive enzymes for dogs) and make sure to try bone broth too cause it soothes their gut and improves the immune system too and anti inflammatory.

But I highly recommend staying away from dry food(kibble) and canned especially for inflammatory conditions and picky eaters(Rusty won’t touch any kibble or canned lol).

Definitely stay with raw or a gently cooked.

And the Eye Stream will definitely help

Bovine colostrum will help for the paw licking and the bone broth too can help.

Also a suggestion:

Berry blends supplements(I use Four Leaf Rover as there are no preservatives and everything is organic and vet formulated), their Red Rover berry blend I use for Rusty to help with the eyes watering and paw licking. Berrys are a good natural source of quercetin which helps with allergies and the antioxidants help their eyes.
Since using their bovine colostrum and the Red Rover berry blend, no more paw licking and the bone broth is great for when they vomit and their overall health.

The herring oil will also help the inflammation and the itchy paws.

Keep us updated!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your advice will stay away from chicken as I think it might be an issue aswell as everything I've tried so far seems to also have chicken. There are no visible signs except for the red eyes excessive swallowing and licking paws. Will definitely try the herring oil .

Also I would recommend to do a paw wash every other day or a couple times a week or even just the days he is licking them most(I don’t recommend using a shampoo with oatmeal because that can cause more itch to the paws) but the paw washes can help with the itch until you can get the allergies under control.

Environmental and food allergy can also cause itching so maybe if your willing to, after a walk or outside, wipe the paws with a wet cloth after he has been outside incase he is allergic to grass too😊

AAhmed

Reaction score
Thanks again he eats a fair bit of grass to be honest. Do have any idea what the continual swallowing could be ?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
If he is allergic to grass definitely try to not let him eat the grass if you can as that can make things worse.
For the continuous swallowing, that can happen from a irritation in the throat(Rusty did this lots when he had elongated soft palate blocking his airway).
The swallowing can also be from a food allergy that is making him not feel good.

Has he been eating something now he likes that isn’t poultry or chicken??I know it can be hard with picky eaters to find something that they like and will eat constantly.
The herring oil, if he likes it I recommend adding it Daily to his food while you rotate proteins in the food to keep him from being picky.
My Frenchie Rusty loves the herring oil so I add it daily to his meal he is the most picky with so he always eats it.
I definitely recommend doing this if you can. This will keep inflammation down too for the itching and allergies.
The bone broth will help soothe the stomach.

Pheasant and Boar are other good protein options to rotate thru too as well as the others I mentioned.
A food allergy can be noticed immediately almost but it can take up to 12 weeks to fully get rid of the allergy in the food that’s causing him to not feel good and itch/lick paws and vomit.

What proteins has he liked lately??

I’m happy to help!
Keep us updated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great advice has been given…. agree with the paw wash after being out. And, you can give an anti acid to help with the regurgitation. My guy does that at times, I found tuna was his issue. Now, he barel does it any ore

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Just thought I would see how he has been doing for licking paws/allergy issues and if you have found something that he will actually eat consistently??

Keep us updated😊

🆕 Latest posts