Having Mental Health Issues: Not Sure What to do With My Beloved Frenchie

NJ0504123

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently live in North / Central NJ. I recently started having severe mental health issues. I am going to start active treatment and am uncertain how to take care of my five-year-old French bulldog.

I love my Frenchie more than anything but think it is unfair for me to have him in the house if I am having trouble taking care of myself.
The thought of giving him away is making me sick. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about potential foster parents / long-term in house care / etc.

I have looked into long-term boarding but given the cost of my mental health care, I do not think I can afford the daily rate for an extended period of time.

I am truly distraught with the thought of having to give away my Frenchie after 6 years and was wondering if anyone in the community had any recommendations of what I could do / where I could go for help. Just writing this note is making me really upset.

Best,

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there... very sorry to hear of your situation but happy to hear you are getting help.

What about a petsitter that comes to your home to help feed and take for a walk?

Your baby may help you through your healing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello. I am truly sorry to hear of your dilemma. It must be such a difficult yet brave decision. Have you considered reaching out to a local French Bulldog Rescue near you to see if perhaps a foster home can be utilized? When I volunteered for rescue a long time ago, we were able to help in two instances where someone was moving over seas and another had a family situation that needed attention and both dogs were placed in a foster home that was willing to house the dogs for an extended time period. It might involve you "surrendering" your dog to the rescue and then "adopting" him when you are feeling better and up to the task. It is also possible that rescues are full and could not accommodate such a request, but it can't possibly hurt to ask.

I am really glad that you are seeking help for not only yourself, but a safe placement for your dog as well. If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to try and help you locate a temporary home for your dog.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry about your situation. But I agree, try some Frenchie rescues and see if they can help find a foster.

πŸ†• Latest posts