Head/Jaw development

Carson1834

Reaction score
I think the point you are making gets lost in the fact that these other colors are so common. The first bag of puppy food we bought had a picture of a blue fawn on the bag. Many articles on frenchie health, or owning frenchies, use them as pictures in their articles. Gray/blue frenchies can be seen in many places in the "pet industry".

With that said, I know what you are getting at. Our last dog was a Doberman. There are albino Dobermans, which is not a standard color. Its not just a non-standard color it's a genetic defect, and I would never get one. The difference here is that fad frenchie colors are not in themselves defects, they are just more prone to certain things. Also albino Dobermans are just not common. You don't see the "non-standard" color put out there in the same way that you do with the frenchie.

And there are always people out there just trying to make money which even applies to people selling standard colors so I don't care to use that as a measuring stick

So because something is common makes it ok? Frenchieā€™s are now #4 (I believe) most popular breed in US. The increased popularity of course is going to bring out more unscrupulous breeders and uneducated pet parents. The fact that random people who publish online articles with fad color Frenchieā€™s only proves to me that they are part of the huge population who do zero research on the breed.

Reputable breeders do not charge more for certain colors. Reputable breeders also arenā€™t breeding to make money. When factoring in the cost of artificial insemination, cesareans, dog show costs etc coupled with their typical small litters, reputable Frenchieā€™s breeders donā€™t breed to make money but because they love the breed.

It shocks me how many people are willing to pay thousands on a dog while doing zero research on what theyā€™re getting and who theyā€™re getting them from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisDad

Reaction score
So because something is common makes it ok? Frenchieā€™s are now #4 (I believe) most popular breed in US. The increased popularity of course is going to bring out more unscrupulous breeders and uneducated pet parents. The fact that random people who publish online articles with fad color Frenchieā€™s only proves to me that they are part of the huge population who do zero research on the breed.

Reputable breeders do not charge more for certain colors. Reputable breeders also arenā€™t breeding to make money. When factoring in the cost of artificial insemination, cesareans, dog show costs etc coupled with their typical small litters, reputable Frenchieā€™s breeders donā€™t breed to make money but because they love the breed.

It shocks me how many people are willing to pay thousands on a dog while doing zero research on what theyā€™re getting and who theyā€™re getting them from.

Im not going to argue with you about it, Im just telling you how it is. If you really want to go there then Frenchies in general and most pure breeds are notorious for health issues, so I guess we should all just settle for mutts from rescues shelters, but we all don't want that. We want particular dogs for one reason or another, so we overlook it..

My only point is that your case that "that color is not okay" when it's on the freaking puppy food bag at the pet store is going to be a tough battle, and that its simply not the same as a genetic defect i.e. an albino.

But this thread is for logging my experience, and documenting for educational purposes.

Carson1834

Reaction score
Im not going to argue with you about it, Im just telling you how it is. If you really want to go there then Frenchies in general and most pure breeds are notorious for health issues, so I guess we should all just settle for mutts from rescues shelters, but we all don't want that. We want particular dogs for one reason or another, so we overlook it..

My only point is that your case that "that color is not okay" when it's on the freaking puppy food bag at the pet store is going to be a tough battle, and that its simply not the same as a genetic defect i.e. an albino.

But this thread is for logging my experience, and documenting for educational purposes.

Most purebreds arenā€™t notorious for health issues. Thereā€™s a reason why OFA testing exists and why we have (again) reputable breeders who do those testings to better their lines and breeds in general. People who educate themselves on breeders do so, so they get a healthier dog.

Why do you think rescues are healthier? My friend just got one who had stool issues for 3 weeks and an eye infection that wouldnā€™t go away after a week of antibiotics. Heā€™s only 1.5 years old so who knows what else is going to come up health wise as he ages as they know literally nothing about where he came from.

So a marketing company puts a fad color Frenchie on a food bag. Do you know how advertising companies work? Theyā€™re targeting a Frenchie parent audience and given the slew of badly breed fad color Frenchieā€™s everywhere, thereā€™s your reason on why they chose a fad color for their packaging. And just because they did doesnā€™t justify breeding fad colors.

Iā€™m not here to argue with you either, but neither do I need you to educate me on ā€œhow it isā€.

Anyways enjoy your Frenchie. Theyā€™re the best.

LouisDad

Reaction score
Most purebreds arenā€™t notorious for health issues. Thereā€™s a reason why OFA testing exists and why we have (again) reputable breeders who do those testings to better their lines and breeds in general. People who educate themselves on breeders do so, so they get a healthier dog.

Why do you think rescues are healthier? My friend just got one who had stool issues for 3 weeks and an eye infection that wouldnā€™t go away after a week of antibiotics. Heā€™s only 1.5 years old so who knows what else is going to come up health wise as he ages as they know literally nothing about where he came from.

So a marketing company puts a fad color Frenchie on a food bag. Do you know how advertising companies work? Theyā€™re targeting a Frenchie parent audience and given the slew of badly breed fad color Frenchieā€™s everywhere, thereā€™s your reason on why they chose a fad color for their packaging. And just because they did doesnā€™t justify breeding fad colors.

Iā€™m not here to argue with you either, but neither do I need you to educate me on ā€œhow it isā€.

Anyways enjoy your Frenchie. Theyā€™re the best.

Not true according to science.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...result, purebred dogs,the kneecap, in toy and

Again, Frenchies in general have a vast array of health issues, yet here we all are.

LouisDad

Reaction score
Updated pic. Louis continues to fill out. He looks more "frenchie" to me as he ages. When we first got him, in the original pictures, he only weighted 4lbs, so there just wasn't much to him which probably exaggerated the jawline.

PXL_20201215_015947896.jpg

He also got a permeant playmate over the weekend. My twin bro and his family live on the same street as us, and just picked up this little guy. We always talked about getting puppies at the same time (that way we could have two, but not really have two), and it finally happened.

PXL_20201212_172335820.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated pic. Louis continues to fill out. He looks more "frenchie" to me as he ages. When we first got him, in the original pictures, he only weighted 4lbs, so there just wasn't much to him which probably exaggerated the jawline.

View attachment 14319

He also got a permeant playmate over the weekend. My twin bro and his family live on the same street as us, and just picked up this little guy. We always talked about getting puppies at the same time (that way would could have two, but not really have two), and it finally happened.

View attachment 14320

He is looking much more like a Frenchie, as you said, he needed to grow some.

Congratulations on the playmate... so cool you live that close and have the, grow up together

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LouisDad

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted some updated pics. Louis just has the perpetual grumpy face, so he's demeanor is pretty funny. I promise, he's happy. Lol.

As prevalent as his chin is, my brother's little guy is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum with no chin.

They are a good time, and enjoy chewing on each other.

Upate1.jpg

update3.jpg

Update2.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted some updated pics. Louis just has the perpetual grumpy face, so he's demeanor is pretty funny. I promise, he's happy. Lol.

As prevalent as his chin is, my brother's little guy is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum with no chin.

They are a good time, and enjoy chewing on each other.

View attachment 14359

View attachment 14361

View attachment 14360

Beautiful babies!!

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
The ears and body look Frenchie. But that face, especially the snout doesn't. For all intent and purposes, it is a Frenchie though.

LouisDad

Reaction score
The ears and body look Frenchie. But that face, especially the snout doesn't. For all intent and purposes, it is a Frenchie though.

I don't believe it's the snout, it's the lower jaw. He's got a very pronounced chin. His bottom teeth are significantly in front of his top teeth. Probably by a 1/4"

I keep comparing it to Grumpy Cat, but that is what it looks like to me. They say Gumpy Cat had a undershot jaw. I know frenchies are suppose to have an undershot jaw, but Louis's is way undershot.

I think it adds to his "bulldog-ish" look.

It almost even hard to see from a side view, but straight on you can see it.

PXL_20201219_034901207.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201219_034930818.PORTRAIT.jpg

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
I don't believe it's the snout, it's the lower jaw. He's got a very pronounced chin. His bottom teeth are significantly in front of his top teeth. Probably by a 1/4"

I keep comparing it to Grumpy Cat, but that is what it looks like to me. They say Gumpy Cat had a undershot jaw. I know frenchies are suppose to have an undershot jaw, but Louis's is way undershot.

I think it adds to his "bulldog-ish" look.

It almost even hard to see from a side view, but straight on you can see it.

View attachment 14379

View attachment 14380

Lol I see the grumpy comparison. The snot looked a lot longer than actual in the pic at base of couch. Side profile looKs normal.

LouisDad

Reaction score
Updated pics of Louis..

Now that his adult teeth are in he is getting to where his top lip will get caught behind his front teeth sometimes, but its not the typical resting position.

IMG_20210212_192238.jpg

PXL_20210131_170657340.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210222_152605903.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210222_014754622.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210201_192653105_2.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He is getting so big! Handsome fella ....
he jaw is more like a bulldog , which would explain the overlap.

8a21234060a7c99c86196a21ac4e43ac.jpg

LouisDad

Reaction score
He is getting so big! Handsome fella ....
he jaw is more like a bulldog , which would explain the overlap.

I agree. It looks bulldog-ish. It definitely adds to his demeanor.

And yes he is just over 5 months, and 22lbs. He is getting chucky.

PXL_20210214_193435142.jpg

LouisDad

Reaction score
Its been a while since I posted some pics of Louis, but he's pretty much grown up now. He has been such an "easy" dog. He does have a prominent jaw, I've said it before, but it adds to his bulldog demeanor. Sometimes I just look at him and laugh he's just a funny little dude with a tough attitude, but he still wants to be held and babied.

PXL_20210628_004829957 (1).jpg

PXL_20210619_185209664.jpg

PXL_20210612_215147222.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210618_204708201.jpg

PXL_20210619_172252100.jpg

PXL_20210619_172247250.MP.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He is a handsome normal personality Frenchie!! Jaw is prominent, but he is a happy looking boyā€¦ living a great life! Look at the pool

šŸ†• Latest posts