Head Shape

KZeng

Reaction score
Hello all!

First off, I want to apologize in advance for my ignorance! I'm new to frenchies and have a lot of silly questions!

I took my 8-week old puppy to the vet today and she said the puppy has a "dome-shaped head." She said it could be indicative of a neurological problem or may just be her anatomy. Have any of you had a puppy with a dome-shaped head (like, think "Mega Mind" here) that he/she outgrew? Does the shape of their head change much as they mature?

Along the same line (and I mentioned this in another post) her haws/third eyelids are quite visible. The vet said it isn't cherry eye, so I'm curious if that's something she could outgrow as well or if that's just how her eyes will always be. Of course I will love her to death either way; I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar characteristics and how they turned out.

Thank you for your patience with me!

20200819_193552.jpg

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,
Did your vet prescribe NeoPolyDex Ophthalmic Ointment? It worked in mere hours for my dog when we first got her home. You may want to ask the vet if that is an option for you. I have no experience on the head shape question you posed, but maybe someone else can chime in. Good luck!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, the head is too round, Frenchie head is usually square.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Repose

Reaction score
Hm that’s weird to me that your vet said that...I thought all puppies had round heads??? For sure over time the head of a frenchie should go square but that comes as they age in my experience.

This is my Hugo at 3 months old with a big ol’ dome head

797DD782-32F9-4B8A-A74A-599249DAEA04.jpeg

At around 6 months, flattening out and maturing

75E52463-FD58-4D78-A23D-186A32AB14C1.jpeg

And at 1year+ the top of his head is good and flat
B24E1722-19AC-4A76-93FC-D0929317AC2F.jpeg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The vet is probably referring to hydrocephalus which is a congenital birth defect. Is your vet experienced with French bulldogs? Having an experienced vet is crucial with this breed. You can try to get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Hello all!

First off, I want to apologize in advance for my ignorance! I'm new to frenchies and have a lot of silly questions!

I took my 8-week old puppy to the vet today and she said the puppy has a "dome-shaped head." She said it could be indicative of a neurological problem or may just be her anatomy. Have any of you had a puppy with a dome-shaped head (like, think "Mega Mind" here) that he/she outgrew? Does the shape of their head change much as they mature?

Along the same line (and I mentioned this in another post) her haws/third eyelids are quite visible. The vet said it isn't cherry eye, so I'm curious if that's something she could outgrow as well or if that's just how her eyes will always be. Of course I will love her to death either way; I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar characteristics and how they turned out.

Thank you for your patience with me!

View attachment 14104
My vet was also concerned with the dome shape of Stella’s head. She had a couple of seizures at 11 weeks old. MRI indicated that she had mild to moderate hydrocephalus. Surgery was not recommended at the time. When she got older it was recommended that we give her omeprazole (prilosec) which inhibits the production of spinal fluid building up in the brain. Stella is now 6 years old and the hydrocephalus is not giving her any problems. If your pup shows signs of hydrocephalus your vet may recommend a neurologist/MRI. I would recommend pet insurance if you dont already have. Frenchies can be expensive. Hopefully your pup is good and healthy!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I think what is making it look so "domed" shape is the ears are set a little low. The head changes as they grow and the ears may move up some as he matures. Give him a few more weeks to grow and see how it changes.

🆕 Latest posts