Homemade Food Topper Worked for Me! - Let me share :)

Joeturbo26

Reaction score
In a previous post, I asked your advice on how to get Rico to eat better, since he is ultra picky!

I tried many things, including ideas shared by other members. Some worked better than others, but Rico always seemed to revert back to being a little picky devil!

I began contemplating doing a whole home cooked diet for him, and I began to shop for ingredients... As I started to boil the chicken, sweet potatoes, peas, rice etc etc... I thought to myself I really am biting off more than I can chew, no pun intended LOL. I have no issue cooking for him, but committing to this seemed to be a lot and I knew there had to be some way to convince him to eat his Fromm food.

Knowing he likes boiled chicken and boiled sweet potatoes, I decided to try the following:

3 large chicken breasts
3 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and quartered

In a large pot, combine sweet potatoes and chicken, fill with water until covered, boil on high for 30 minutes.. transfer chicken and sweet potatoes to food processor and puree.

Divide puree into ice cube trays, and freeze--recipe should yield 4 ice cube trays.

For the past week, every day, I have taken out three cubes the night before to defrost in the fridge. In his Fromm food, I mix in one cube at every serving. HE HAS EATEN EVERY MEAL TO THE LAST DROP!

Also, his poop has never been more regular and perfectly consistent in texture.

I am amazed!

MunasG

Reaction score
That is great! Picky little frenchies! Mine is on her third week of raw diet and she LOVES IT!!! I mean to the point of licking her bowl 4-5 times after the food is finished lol.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Great idea. Glad your picky little eater loves the new topper! Stella is super picky too.

hannah

Reaction score
That is great! Picky little frenchies! Mine is on her third week of raw diet and she LOVES IT!!! I mean to the point of licking her bowl 4-5 times after the food is finished lol.

mine do the same lol

- - - Updated - - -

In a previous post, I asked your advice on how to get Rico to eat better, since he is ultra picky!

I tried many things, including ideas shared by other members. Some worked better than others, but Rico always seemed to revert back to being a little picky devil!

I began contemplating doing a whole home cooked diet for him, and I began to shop for ingredients... As I started to boil the chicken, sweet potatoes, peas, rice etc etc... I thought to myself I really am biting off more than I can chew, no pun intended LOL. I have no issue cooking for him, but committing to this seemed to be a lot and I knew there had to be some way to convince him to eat his Fromm food.

Knowing he likes boiled chicken and boiled sweet potatoes, I decided to try the following:

3 large chicken breasts
3 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and quartered

In a large pot, combine sweet potatoes and chicken, fill with water until covered, boil on high for 30 minutes.. transfer chicken and sweet potatoes to food processor and puree.

Divide puree into ice cube trays, and freeze--recipe should yield 4 ice cube trays.

For the past week, every day, I have taken out three cubes the night before to defrost in the fridge. In his Fromm food, I mix in one cube at every serving. HE HAS EATEN EVERY MEAL TO THE LAST DROP!

Also, his poop has never been more regular and perfectly consistent in texture.

I am amazed!

Wow! Great recipe! I must try! Thanks so much for sharing

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Cool, so happy you found something that works for him, good thinking. :2thumbs:

Ryan2421

Reaction score
Picky Camille will be the death of me!!! I may need to try this.

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi Joey - Sounds like you found the solution! I just wanted to throw in that I cook for ours, but I do it in the crockpot. Of course, they are not picky in the least either...

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I cook chicken for my boys, I just use it to season their kibble. They LOVE it!

gaw321

Reaction score
Great idea! I made my kids baby food this way, now 23 and 28, no jar baby food for them. This idea should work to identify allergies in my dog we already know soy is one, grains probably but not sure, trial and error. Thank you for posting this info you are all a great resource, I'm glad I joined.
Thanked care, Geri

handsomesmom

Reaction score

Can I ask which raw food you go with?? Homemade or pre-made? :)

TeresaW

Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea! Pierce was on a prescription canned food for awhile. He got spoiled. Now he expects something to be in with his kibble all the time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Balfyre

Reaction score
I feed raw as well and when transitioning a puppy from kibble to raw the stool can be a little soft it soon rights itself. Also switching proteins is good so they don't develope allergies. Yes, they get spoiled really fast! He he he the little Dahlings. The food my guys love is raw from Bones and Company out of Texas. You may be able to find it at your local raw pet food store.