How long did it take to house train?

Pagan

Reaction score
Hi all :) :)

I have had Henry nearly a month now.

He is now being left during the day.

Me and my partner work full time however I sometimes have early shifts so I'm home earlier.

He is absolutely brilliant during the night. He stays in his bed (beside our bed) and he does not wee or poo at all.

When we are home he either wonders out in the garden on his own or he will indicate to us that he wants to go out.

During the day on the other hand, we always come home to the whole kitchen covered in poo and wee!
He doesn't wee on the paper and he wee's and poops in his bed! He is also covered in it and it ends up the door and the walls!

Please someone help us? :(

Btw he won't always be at home during the day as once he is a little more trained he will be going to work with my partner :)

Thanks in advance :)

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Jake was easier to train than Stella. Jake goes out the dog door and Stella is afraid of it and won't use it. The accidents will get less and less as Henry gets older. Do you have room for an x-pen, then he won't mess up your walls and doors at least. Or you could crate train him and see how that goes. I honestly can't remember how quickly Jake was potty trained but Stella loved to pee in her bed a lot! I would guess around 6 mos. they were trained. Hang in there!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster was easy to train to go on a potty pad at first because it was winter when we got him. As it warmed up and I put hoodies on him he would follow his big brother out the pet door and take care of business.

eeturk

Reaction score
Hudson was a total nightmare and wasn't potty trained to an acceptable level until 8 months. The vet told us to just stick to our schedule and one day he'd just get it. That's exactly what happened. We went out about every 2 hours up until about a year old, thought he did sleep through the night just fine. Now he can stay home for about 5 hours and I don't worry. He'll hold it for longer now but I never want him to feel uncomfortable. Some are trickier than others, and some can't be left home all day as babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pagan

Reaction score
Thank you everyone :)

My kitchen is massive so we have room for a pen.
I was tempted to try one but I thought he would just move all around the kitchen in it as he tries to get out. We have tied to crate train him but he ends up absolutely covered in poop :(

I was hoping if I just hang in there he will learn that if he poops and wee's in his bed he will have to stay like that like until we are home.

We make sure he goes for wee's and poos before we leave and play with him so he is tired but we are stuck for ideas atm.

A questions for anyone that has crate trained their dog/dogs.. I keep the crate covered with a blanket so he isn't just shut in a cage (which can't be nice) and I try to make the inside as comfortable as possible so he will sleep and not want to wee or poop. As this is what he does during the night.

I'm not sure if he just doesn't like us leaving him (me especially as he follows me like a lost sheep)

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will hang on in there lol :) :) :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
It's going to be hard for him to just figure out where he is supposed to "go" when you aren't home. Do you take him out and praise him when he goes outside? Sounds like he is sleeping during the night, which is great. He's going everywhere during the day because he is awake more. Can your partner take him to work now so that she/he would be able to take him on potty breaks often and praise him when he goes? Crates are a great way to potty train. You want to take them out often enough so they don't use the potty in the crate though. Puppies can take a year or more to be reliably trained. Some train earlier, some later.

I am sure you are right that he doesn't like you leaving him. Frenchies like to be around their people. It sounds like he is really attached to you. He's so cute!!

Pagan

Reaction score
It's going to be hard for him to just figure out where he is supposed to "go" when you aren't home. Do you take him out and praise him when he goes outside? Sounds like he is sleeping during the night, which is great. He's going everywhere during the day because he is awake more. Can your partner take him to work now so that she/he would be able to take him on potty breaks often and praise him when he goes? Crates are a great way to potty train. You want to take them out often enough so they don't use the potty in the crate though. Puppies can take a year or more to be reliably trained. Some train earlier, some later.

I am sure you are right that he doesn't like you leaving him. Frenchies like to be around their people. It sounds like he is really attached to you. He's so cute!!

Hello :)

Yes when I take him out and he goes I praise him really over the top just so he knows that he's being a good boy when he has been to the toilet outside :)

He wants to take him to work ASAP, so he isn't left but at the minute I think he would be under people's feet. I personally think he would be ok but he needs to be a bit more confident with some commands like 'bed' and 'stay'

He is still only a baby so I fully understand he's still excited. He just doesn't seem to want to sleep when we are around him unless he is really tired to the point we try and take him out for a wee and he is falling asleep in my arms.

I'm going to have a word with my partner about maybe introducing his work to him gradually and see how he is :)

Thanks for the advice :)