Insurance claims

Mavis

Reaction score
We have Nationwide Pet Insurance with Wellness plan. It costs $78/mo. Before I subscribed, I thought I had found that they covered nare and palate surgery, if needed. Just submitted a claim for each and both were denied. Explanation was that they do not cover "congenital" defects. I will contact them tomorrow, but I'm sure that is what they are going to say. This was one of the main reasons I got insurance to begin with. Will he need some kind of surgery in the future - maybe, but it's a longshot. No sense in paying almost $1,000 a year for only 50% coverage.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We have Nationwide Pet Insurance with Wellness plan. It costs $78/mo. Before I subscribed, I thought I had found that they covered nare and palate surgery, if needed. Just submitted a claim for each and both were denied. Explanation was that they do not cover "congenital" defects. I will contact them tomorrow, but I'm sure that is what they are going to say. This was one of the main reasons I got insurance to begin with. Will he need some kind of surgery in the future - maybe, but it's a longshot. No sense in paying almost $1,000 a year for only 50% coverage.

Thats the first thing I asked when i was looking at what pet insurance to go with, they said as long as it’s Not pre-existing(if it’s in the medical records that he needs palate surgery for example), they would be covered.

Exactly, that’s why people get pet insurance for their dogs for any unexpected health issue or surgery/vet bill.

If he has no other health issues in the past or now, maybe it’s worth looking into other pet insurance companies and go with a company that’s not gonna refuse to cover things like this.
Especially for people like us who is paying to know they have coverage when it’s needed during a unexpected vet bill.
And if any new health issues pop up down the road, it should be covered.

I know With all Rusty’s health issues, I wouldn’t be able to get any other pet insurance as everything is pre-existing which is what they don’t cover if they already been to vet for a health issue that happened/started of symptoms Before pet insurance started.

Thankfully all Rusty’s health issues came up after the pet insurance I started paying, he was healthy 15 week old pup with no medical issues when I started the pet insurance.

Was that your first and only claim with the insurance that you submitted??

I would call them and see what they say.

Mavis

Reaction score
Thats the first thing I asked when i was looking at what pet insurance to go with, they said as long as it’s Not pre-existing(if it’s in the medical records that he needs palate surgery for example), they would be covered.

Exactly, that’s why people get pet insurance for their dogs for any unexpected health issue or surgery/vet bill.

If he has no other health issues in the past or now, maybe it’s worth looking into other pet insurance companies and go with a company that’s not gonna refuse to cover things like this.
Especially for people like us who is paying to know they have coverage when it’s needed during a unexpected vet bill.
And if any new health issues pop up down the road, it should be covered.

I know With all Rusty’s health issues, I wouldn’t be able to get any other pet insurance as everything is pre-existing which is what they don’t cover if they already been to vet for a health issue that happened/started of symptoms Before pet insurance started.

Thankfully all Rusty’s health issues came up after the pet insurance I started paying, he was healthy 15 week old pup with no medical issues when I started the pet insurance.

Was that your first and only claim with the insurance that you submitted??

I would call them and see what they say.
I'm super disappointed with Nationwide. What's the point? They have covered 50% of various claims we have submitted for well visits and emergency services (they won't cover the additional cost of an emergency visit, just some of the care/medication used). After you consider needing to meet the deductible, the amount of what is covered isn't much compared to the premiums paid.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm super disappointed with Nationwide. What's the point? They have covered 50% of various claims we have submitted for well visits and emergency services (they won't cover the additional cost of an emergency visit, just some of the care/medication used). After you consider needing to meet the deductible, the amount of what is covered isn't much compared to the premiums paid.
Exactly. Some are so frustrating to deal with.
I still think it’s ridiculous that your pet insurance didn’t pay some of the Palate and nares surgery, I know most don’t cover neuter, but palate and nares is something that should be covered in My opinion, especially when you have pet insurance for this breed.

I go thru PetSecure and they have been really good.

I think someone on here has the Nationwide insurance too- I think it may be @Cbrugs who has it?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What is covered all depends on what plan you have. I had Nationwide's Whole Pet with Wellness which reimbursed 90% of covered expenses after the yearly $250 deductible was met. Jax had that plan for over 6 years but it is no longer offered as it got too expensive with all of the claims Nationwide was having to pay out on but he was grandfathered in. I am beyond thankful I had it as they have covered well over $30,000 in claims and I never had an issue with them. The premium went up every year and last year it was up to $250 a month and I paid it because it was still well worth it considering Jax's IVDD. However, a couple months ago we got the renewal notice and it was going to up to $458 per month and I could not justify nor really afford spending basically a car payment so I had to cancel it and unfortunately, Jax is no longer insured.

Since Jelly is still young and probably doesn't have any pre-existing conditions (other than the nares/soft palate which may not be covered anyway), you can always look around at some other companies and switch.

🆕 Latest posts