Loose stools

T

Tedward

Hi sorry for the miserable first thread:blush2: but here goes-

I collected Ted my frenchie on May 2nd from the breeder at 11 weeks old, he was fully vaccinated and wormed which was all documented and held within the paperwork I received with Ted.
His 2 vaccinations were Vanguard and for distemper, hepitis, parvovirus, parainfluenza and leptospirosis whch I guess are just standad in the UK.

He had been fed Royal Canin 4/8ths three times a day which I carried on doing when he got home.

His toilet habits took some working out but basically he would eat then sleep for a couple of hours and then need to toilet, he would defecate three times about 5 minutes apart with the odd poop thrown in to fool me :rolleyes: He would also do one on his daily walk, I would also let him out before bedtime which could be has late as midnight so effectively he could be doing in excess of 15 or 16 poops per day.:eek:hmy:

About 6 days after he moved in I noticed after each of his toilet cycles his first poop had shape albeit a little sticky, his second was slightly wetter and his third was more like mucus/bile with a hint of light red (blood). So I got him to the vets on the 14th May firstly to register him and secondly to check his loose stools.

The vet said it could be a little colitis or even a little upset with his move, he was weighed and tipped the scales at 4.7kg (10lb 14oz) she also gave him a course of Kaogel to take with two of his meals per day. Sadly after 5 days his stools became looser and blood was showing in all of his fesces with the third one being mainly blood!

I took him back to the vet (different person) and he gave him an injection of Dexadreson and Clamoxyl and he also told me to fast him for 24 hours then go onto boiled rice for 24 hours. Ted came home and basically laid next to me from 6 in the evening to 6.30 in the morning it really knocked him out I had to carry him out to toilet and wipe his backside has there was traces of blood.

The next morning he was more lively infact almost normal but wouldn’t drink so I dipped my fingers in his bowl which he licked, obviously this was not enough so got him back to the vets, he said he was going to IV him his fluids but after seeing Ted he said I could try giving him ‘Lectade®’ basically glucose because he looked quite lively which he was/is, always playing and just being a puppy and a pleasure to have :) when I got him back to work he drank the lot down in one and ever since he as been fine and drinking plenty, the boiled rice meals have turned into 48 hours now but with some chicken (vets advice) with this evening being his first dog food meal (different type- Burns).

Unfortunately the diarrhea still persists but maybe this is because of lots of water and only rice and chicken? Plus he is scraping his bum after toilet and there is still evidence of blood remaining in his fesces albeit not as bad but certainly evident.

I do apologise for going on but I’m very worried about Ted although he is active and playful, sleepy, funny and loving I know he is not right inside so I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips or info I can go armed with to my vets.

Cheers, Teds dad.

Last edited:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome ..... so sorry your little man is going throw all this. I am not very experienced with puppies this young, so I tagged a few members that are an might be able to help.

Hope Ted feels better real soon

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
When was his last vaccine and what was he vaccinate against?

Is it possible he ate something that he wasnt supposed to? A rock, a lid etc etc

Once he is feeling better you should also consider switching the food. Just google royal canin reviews .

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Did any of the vets do a fecal test? Even though he was worked, he could still have a parasite. Jax has had giardia twice which requires a specific medicine to get rid of.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, autocorrect. Wormed, not worked.

T

Tedward

Sorry, autocorrect. Wormed, not worked.

No they have not done anything like that, I did take a sample with me in the first instance but she only looked at it through the top of the bottle :rolleyes:

Edit to say did the Giardia also cause bleeding in Jax?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised a fecal test wasn't done. I don't think there was blood but we caught it right away so maybe it could potentially have shown up. His stool was loose and very slimy, mucous. I think you should definitely get a fecal test done.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome tot the site and sorry your baby is having problems. First off, I would find another vet, as they should have done a fecal exam to rule out giardia or coccidia. Also feeding too much food will also make them have lose stools. The Royal Canin is not that good of a food, so I would also find another better quality food. We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag. Henri is 14 weeks old now and we feed him about 1/3 (100 ml) three times a day, and he weights a little over 10 lbs. (4.5 kg) So I would cut back a little on the food intake and find a vet to do a fecal exam. I hope you baby gets better soon.

T

Tedward

@ davidh
Apologies I got his weight incorrect, his weight was 4.7kg / 10lb 1oz, I have also just weighed him now and he tips the scales at 5.1kg / 11lb 2 so he has put weight on during this episode which is a good thing........right?

Attachments

• tedd 018a.jpg
    tedd 018a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 221

eeturk

Reaction score
Ooh he is cute! My guy has a problem with loose stool, as does his Frenchie friend Gus. Gus has the bleeding, too. We have found that with Gus he bleeds if he eats kibble and grain. Both of them do very well and have solid stool on a grain free food that has to be refrigerated. Not sure you can get it outside the US, but nonetheless the first thing I would do was change his food. I also add a little pumpkin purée to Hudson's food when he is having tummy troubles. Also agree that he needs a fecal flotation test and a giardia snap test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How is Ted doing [MENTION=692]Tedward[/MENTION]?

T

Tedward

Hi
apologies for the delay in responding.
So where is Ted now? Well last Wednesday we saw the vet again (the original one) and we left her a sample, she gave Ted a 3 day course of Promax and gave him some Royal Canin sensitive tinned food :fie:which to be honest Ted absolutely loves, anyway his stools are a little better and not has wet, he is also not going as often but unfortunately there is still evidence of blood albeit it appears to be less so.
Anyway it is now 9.25 in the evening and I have just had the vet on the phone and she tells me the test was positive for Giardia but clear of Coccodia and a couple of other diseases I can't remember what, so she is putting him on a course of Panacur to see if this helps.:pray2: but for now at least we know what the issue is, so here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
apologies for the delay in responding.
So where is Ted now? Well last Wednesday we saw the vet again (the original one) and we left her a sample, she gave Ted a 3 day course of Promax and gave him some Royal Canin sensitive tinned food :fie:which to be honest Ted absolutely loves, anyway his stools are a little better and not has wet, he is also not going as often but unfortunately there is still evidence of blood albeit it appears to be less so.
Anyway it is now 9.25 in the evening and I have just had the vet on the phone and she tells me the test was positive for Giardia but clear of Coccodia and a couple of other diseases I can't remember what, so she is putting him on a course of Panacur to see if this helps.:pray2: but for now at least we know what the issue is, so here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Jax had Giardia twice and the medicine cleared it up just fine both times with no issues. I am somewhat baffled as to why none of the vets you saw thought it was necessary to do a fecal test in the first place. Ted could have been on the necessary medicine a long time and all better by now. Perhaps you should find a new vet? Hoping for a speedy recovery! Make sure a fecal test is done when he is done with the medicine to make sure he tests negative. There is a possibility it won't work the first time.

T

Tedward

Yes I agree, but whats done is done now, but you are right I will start looking for another vet :)

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi, I agree with previous comments. Definitely have the fecal at minimum. Good luck! He is a good-looking boy!!!

🆕 Latest posts