Lunging on harness/leash

Chomsky

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have a one and a half-year-old French Bulldog. He's a super good dog. Loves people, loves to play and have fun. He's potty trained and crate trained.

The only issue I have is when we walk on a leash + harness and he see's another dog, he tends to lunge or try to go over to the other dog. Sometimes, he get's all razzled and fired up, and wants to physically play with the other dog.

I've read numerous articles--including "Ceasar Milan's: How To Raise A Puppy" (yes, I know, controversial, depending on the person) and they say it's either because:
1. Protecting me.
2. Has anxiety with other dogs when on a leash/harness combo.
3. Too excited and wants to play with the dog.
4. A combination of 1-3.

The only positive side of this is that whenever I take him to a dog park, he's really excited and is well behaved walking into the park on the harness/leash. Once inside, he plays really well with all the dogs. After we leave, he walks and interacts with other dogs, via the harness and leash--how he's supposed to. My theory is that he let loose a lot of energy, so post-dog park, he's calm and cool.

The issue is if I just walk him around my neighborhood and there are other dogs around. I do carry with me a treat pouch and I try to distract him, but it only works 50% of the time.

Any suggestions?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
If he plays nicely with other dogs and behaves otherwise appropriately after he's had a play session, then I do not think #1 is your particular issue, especially because you did not mention that he also growls or barks while lunging. Sounds like you have yourself an awesome, energetic, super social pupper. My advice would be to tire him out before walking around your neighborhood as, if I'm reading correctly, that seems to be the only time his leash behavior is frustrating for you. Maybe a 10 minute play session where he is fetching or playing tug with you before hooking him up to take him out on a walk around the neighborhood, would help with his energy level. If he's treat motivated, you can always have them on you and try the "watch me" command in an attempt to get him to focus on you and not the other dogs in the neighborhood while out walking.

I have a Frenchie who is hideous on the leash no matter what the circumstance. Currently working with a trainer and seeing little improvement. It really just sounds like you have a well socialized dog that just wants to play and meet others. Like I said, try tiring him out a bit BEFORE a walk and see if that doesn't make a bit of difference. Good luck!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If he plays nicely with other dogs and behaves otherwise appropriately after he's had a play session, then I do not think #1 is your particular issue, especially because you did not mention that he also growls or barks while lunging. Sounds like you have yourself an awesome, energetic, super social pupper. My advice would be to tire him out before walking around your neighborhood as, if I'm reading correctly, that seems to be the only time his leash behavior is frustrating for you. Maybe a 10 minute play session where he is fetching or playing tug with you before hooking him up to take him out on a walk around the neighborhood, would help with his energy level. If he's treat motivated, you can always have them on you and try the "watch me" command in an attempt to get him to focus on you and not the other dogs in the neighborhood while out walking.

I have a Frenchie who is hideous on the leash no matter what the circumstance. Currently working with a trainer and seeing little improvement. It really just sounds like you have a well socialized dog that just wants to play and meet others. Like I said, try tiring him out a bit BEFORE a walk and see if that doesn't make a bit of difference. Good luck!

Great advice!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chomsky

Reaction score
Yes, that is a good advice! Thank you for the response!

I walked him yesterday and there was another dog walking 7' away from us. I had him sit and stay, and I crouched down to get his attention. I ended up looking at him and talking to him and rubbing his chest as the other dog walked passed me and sure enough--it worked!

He is treat motivated so having treats would be a good idea. I've had some treats before and it did not work when another dog was walking. But I guess trial and error.

Chilly's such a social dog. At the dog park, he not only makes his rounds to play with all the dogs, but he also goes up to all the owners and rubs up against their legs. He's quite the charismatic-social butterfly.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts