Maples new diet.From kibble to raw...

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
So today was the first day on Maples new diet. Raw. For now we have her on Natures Variety Chicken Medaillons. It is pasteurized but I was told that if you change to a raw diet start with the pasteurized meat,since it is easier on their digestive tract because of the bacterial level and how it has to adapt. So in about a week we will then have Maple on the local,unpasteurized meat which is free range, grass fed and from a local farmer who also sells meat at the farmers market. I cant wait for Maple to eat this type of meat. The majority of todays meat (for human and pet consumption) is from animals that were kept in small cages,no lights,being fed feed full of hormones and what not to make them grow faster,the animals are in constant stress and fear. That just can't be healthy (to eat) and I feel it is very,very unfair for the animal.
I am very excited about the new diet and am curios as to how Maple will do on it.
I will feed raw meat,which is already balanced (organ,bone etc) and has some vegetables added already. I will however add whatever veggies/fruit we have at home and/or Quinoa.Also coconut oil twice a week and fish oil once a week.
Weve been feeding Maple dehydrated dog treats made out of beef and honey. Nothing added. Today we also found a really healthy dog chew which is 100% natural made out of yak and cow milk with a little salt and lime added. Once again no preservatives or artifical flavours etc.
I feel really good offering such a healthy diet to my dog. If only my partner and I could eat as healthy :p

P.s We are also VERY fortune to have a pet nutrionist close by who is super knowledgable and really knows his stuff! I feel comfortable switching from kibble to raw.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.... best of luck and keep us posted on her progress and transiton.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Thank you. I will definitely keep this thread updated. Maple hadnt had any issues with her kibble food (Go! Puppy Food,Chicken + Turkey) and I do believe it is a high quality kibble. So if we couldnt ,for whatever reason, switch to raw Id probably leave her on it since she has been healthy and active with a shiny coat and *knock on wood* no allergies. But somehow the raw option 'feels better' and I wanted to at least give it a try :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent plan! Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimB3384

Reaction score
I will feed raw meat,which is already balanced (organ,bone etc) and has some vegetables added already.

Curious to know if you're getting this pre-made from the farmer or how this is coming together for you. I have Bisou on Orijen's freeze-dried line which is 90% meat and 10% veggie and she's doing really, really well, but it's cuh-razy expensive. I'd love to go to my local butcher but I have no idea what I'd need in order to get something I feel is "complete." Can you buy something already mixed together, or do you have to know what you want?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
[MENTION=380]KimB3384[/MENTION]

We are very lucky : There is an awesome(And I mean really awesome) store called Planet Paws close by. They are like a health store but for dogs and cats. They sell all kinds of natural treats and remedies and also different kinds of raw food. They sell Natures Variety and another kind and also 'Inner Wolf' which is the local one. Its pre made and balanced. They have a great farm and really respect the animals so they are all grass fed,free ranged and respected.
I have heard from some people that you can go to your local butcher and ask for certain things and if they sell local meat there that would be perfect. The reason I dont do it is because I am a little nervous about the bone: organ :meat ratio and how to balance it properly. I have also heard that it is not too difficult to do but I just dont wanna risk it especially if I have another option (to buy it locally but already balanced).

KimB3384

Reaction score
As Liz Lemon would say: I want to go to there (both Canada and Planet Paws). I guess I'll go and talk with the local butcher to see if they have some sort of pre-made mix that's comparable to what we're feeding now. I really like the convenience of the freeze-dried stuff, particularly when we're traveling or we have to board her, but I'm sure fresh meat would be better. Thanks for posting - and keep us updated. Sounds like Maple is super duper lucky to have you as a mom ;)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Aww thank you,that is nice to hear.
If you ever get the chance to go to Nova Scotia definitely check out Planet Paws. They even sell doggy ice cream in the summer. They have like a little pick up window for that and everything. This year will be Maples first time but I heard they sell awesome 100% real fruit ice cream.

Good luck with your butcher! That would be great if he could help you. Keep us updated!

Maple has been doing great on her new raw diet.I think it tastes better than her kibble. She is always excited about food but she is REALLY excited the moment I get the raw meal ready. The smell also attracts our cat lol. And Im so proud of little Maple ,she actually lets the cat have a turn licking the bowl clean afterwards. :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Its been two weeks now. The little girl is doing great on her new diet. Since she didnt have any allergies or behavioral issues I unfortunately cant tell you one of these stories where the diet changed the entire dog (s attitude) to the better, which is definitely posssible.
Maple now also gets Chia seeds 3x a week. I let them soak over night to get the best health and nutrional benefits out of them and it also converts the water and the seeds into a Gel so its easy to add to Maples Food.
:)
Hoping to get some fresh eggs from the neighbours soon so Maple can have her egg. Whole and raw of course :D

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Its been two weeks now. The little girl is doing great on her new diet. Since she didnt have any allergies or behavioral issues I unfortunately cant tell you one of these stories where the diet changed the entire dog (s attitude) to the better, which is definitely posssible.
Maple now also gets Chia seeds 3x a week. I let them soak over night to get the best health and nutrional benefits out of them and it also converts the water and the seeds into a Gel so its easy to add to Maples Food.
:)
Hoping to get some fresh eggs from the neighbours soon so Maple can have her egg. Whole and raw of course :D

Great work.... take a very dedicated person to feed natural/raw.... .. so, now where are the pictures of your sweet girl?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Thank you :)
Here are some pics :)
Sleepy girl in the morning
null_zpsbe44e270.jpg

null_zps3be81538.jpg

null_zps7e25b064.jpg

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
She's a beauty!