Mini spasms that sometimes results in vomiting/regurgitation

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Hello

I recently picked up a mini French Bulldog, he is 10 weeks old and his name is Tyson.

Ever since he moved into my house, he's been having these mini spasm attacks. At start, it would seem that he would vomit, but nothing ever came out. I could see his tummy pulsing rapidly and his breathing was very heavy.

Since this morning, these attacks would result in either vomiting or regurgitation. This morning it happened 4 times, and now 2 times at night. Sometimes the food comes out intact, a sign that the food wasn't even digested.

I use the same food/milk the breeder used and follow his guide on feed times and portions.

For food I give him Royal Canin Mini Starter dry food 3 times a day, which I add a bit of warm water, leave it to cool while the dry food soaks up all the water. I add a tablet of Norse 2.0 Milk Calcium in 2 of his 3 meals per day.
For milk I give him Whelanboo Natural Pet Dog Sheep Milk Powder 3 times a day, I add 1 spoon (it came with the package) and mix it with 50ml of warm water, I let it cool off and feed it to him 30 minutes after he finished his meal.

The breeder has no idea why he's having these spasms but he gave me a pack of ProBio, a probiotic digestive support for dogs, puppies, cats and kittens and instructed me to give it to him twice a day, and mix it with his meal for 2 days.

Should I wait these 2 days and see whether the ProBio works, or should I take him to the vet ASAP?

I've been reading about reasons why French Bulldog puppies vomit/regurgitate and there are a plethora of reasons, so I'm really not sure. But it worries me.

antbkny

Reaction score
I would have a vet look him over sooner than later.

Mavis

Reaction score
I'd transition him off of Royal Canin. I fed Science Diet for many years (similar to Royal Canin), mainly because of the name (had to be good, right?) and also because many vets sold it. Then I got on this forum and found out about the dog food comparison website. Very interesting reading.

Good luck with your baby; he is so adorable. I would get him checked, but he may be sensitive because he is still a baby. Also, I am interested to see if other people feel he should still be on milk. I'm thinking at ten weeks, he's bee weaned and doesn't require that. It is clear that you love your little guy and want to do the best for him.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I wouldn't give him extra calcium since puppy food should be balanced with proper amount of calcium and extra calcium will cause overly rapid bone growth, which is unhealthy. Same with milk- I don't think it's needed once he's weaned, and by his age he should already be weaned.

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Just a small update for anyone that cares;

Been to the vet and he got tested for Canine Distemper and Parvovirus, both results came out negative. He told me to observe Tyson and see how his appetite is and if he does diarrhea and to see if his mood goes down.

I was told by the vet that it may be a secondary effect from the vaccine he took 4 days ago rather than being ill or infected.

Anyway, he prescribed Tyson some pills to be taken in the course of 5 days, I hope he'll be fine cos it's really hard for me to watch him while he's having his spasm attacks.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Poor little guy! :(

What pills did the vet give him?

I would be really wary about giving him any more vaccine boosters while he is sick. Not sure when his next is supposed to be scheduled. They should only be given to healthy animals.

I would also look into finding some natural detox remedies for vaccinosis.

Keep us updated.

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
The vet gave him Clavaseptin, Dextromethorphan and Acetylcysteine. I'm also giving him ProBio the breeder gave me.

The next vaccine is scheduled for 4th of June.

This is day 2 of medicine taking. He's still vomiting, but a lesser rate. He just had lunch, albeit a few mini spasms, he has not vomited yet.

Something I forgot to ask the vet and it just occurred to me is, what if Tyson is allergic to the vaccine he took a last Thursday? Are there different kinds of vaccine boosters?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
The vet gave him Clavaseptin, Dextromethorphan and Acetylcysteine. I'm also giving him ProBio the breeder gave me.

The next vaccine is scheduled for 4th of June.

This is day 2 of medicine taking. He's still vomiting, but a lesser rate. He just had lunch, albeit a few mini spasms, he has not vomited yet.

Something I forgot to ask the vet and it just occurred to me is, what if Tyson is allergic to the vaccine he took a last Thursday? Are there different kinds of vaccine boosters?

Try to get separate component vaccines that are mercury free and give on separate dates from each other. Only vaccinate against rabies, distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus. Don't vaccinate Tyson while he is still sick as mentioned before. Try to follow a more holistic schedule as outlined in this reference. Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic vs. Conventional Approach

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Update:

After ruling out virus or parasites, my 2nd visit to the vet has shown bigger problems.

The vet gave him some food with coloring in it which will show in contrast on the x-ray. The vet believes that Tysons' esophagus is really narrow, which isn't letting all the food go through, which in turn is regurgitated. She prescribed Tyson some Scrat (sucralfate).

Tyson has an endoscopy scheduled for tomorrow to confirm this, and also to look into his lungs to make sure no food got sucked in while he was vomiting, apparently this can happen if the dog breathes in while vomiting.

Honey Owners, yeah, the vet said that the vaccines Tyson got are perfectly fine for him, but would be a good idea to restart vaccination after confirming what's wrong with him and the treatment.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you... please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Update

Tyson is too small for an endoscopy, so the vet gave Tyson a ecography which shows he has a normal esophagus. There is a slight obstruction at the entrance of his intestine leaving his stomach but the X-Rays while feeding Tyson with food with coloring shows that the obstruction isn't impeding the food to go through. Also, the vet believes (and hopes) that as Tyson grows up, this slight obstruction will become irrelevant. He now suspects it's Kennel cough, which he says it's very common here in Macau, especially from pet shops and the vomiting is due to excessive coughing. He says no treatment is needed and it will go away on it's own which normally takes 2 to 3 weeks. Tyson has started to get diarrhea which the vet says it's normal due to his Kennel cough and to keep him hydrated.

This night though, he started to have explosive diarrhea, luckily he's such a smart dog that he already knows he has to go poopies on the diaper like sheets. He even started to rush towards the sheets to vomit (or attempt to vomit). I really do hope Kennel cough is the cause for all this, it's the lesser evil considering what was being said he had, at least from what the vet said and what I've been reading online, Kennel cough is not serious and will go away without treatment. I've read a 'how to' article about Kennel cough and one of the steps to soothe his symptoms is to give him some home made remedy, which consists of Honey, Lemon juice and warm water, would it be safe to give this to Tyson?

Thank you guys so far for the show of interest and advice, it really helps!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Update

Tyson is too small for an endoscopy, so the vet gave Tyson a ecography which shows he has a normal esophagus. There is a slight obstruction at the entrance of his intestine leaving his stomach but the X-Rays while feeding Tyson with food with coloring shows that the obstruction isn't impeding the food to go through. Also, the vet believes (and hopes) that as Tyson grows up, this slight obstruction will become irrelevant. He now suspects it's Kennel cough, which he says it's very common here in Macau, especially from pet shops and the vomiting is due to excessive coughing. He says no treatment is needed and it will go away on it's own which normally takes 2 to 3 weeks. Tyson has started to get diarrhea which the vet says it's normal due to his Kennel cough and to keep him hydrated.

This night though, he started to have explosive diarrhea, luckily he's such a smart dog that he already knows he has to go poopies on the diaper like sheets. He even started to rush towards the sheets to vomit (or attempt to vomit). I really do hope Kennel cough is the cause for all this, it's the lesser evil considering what was being said he had, at least from what the vet said and what I've been reading online, Kennel cough is not serious and will go away without treatment. I've read a 'how to' article about Kennel cough and one of the steps to soothe his symptoms is to give him some home made remedy, which consists of Honey, Lemon juice and warm water, would it be safe to give this to Tyson?

Thank you guys so far for the show of interest and advice, it really helps!

Yes, kennel cough is similar to the common cold... just has to run it's course. You should be fine giving the honey/lemon water, nothing in that will hurt him. keep a close eye on him, any sign of distress in breathing or if he starts to show signs of infection (green/yellow discharge from nose) get him back to the vet.

Good luck and I hope he gets well soon

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sounds like the amoxicillin/clavulanic acid is causing diarrhea, which is fairly common.Kennel cough shouldn't cause diarrhea. The probiotic will help a lot with that so continue while on the antibiotic and for a week after. Propectalin is probably an even better probiotic because it combines a probiotic with kaolin and pectin for the diarrhea. Assuming it's kennel cough, your dog may continue to shed bordetella for 3 months after symptoms are gone, so contact with other animals and immunocompromised humans is not recommended,