My Frenchie is 6 Should I get another frenchie puppy?

anthonyr77

Reaction score
Hello, My frenchie King is 6 years old. I've always wanted to get him a friend, as he's very social and loves to be around others. It pains me to leave him while I go to work, so i thought a puppy would keep him company. At the same time I'm so worried it'll impact him negatively.

Has anyone added a puppy with a Frenchie close in age to mine?

anthonyr77

Reaction score
Also King is a male who is not neutered. Is it preferred to get a Male or Female puppy?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When Jax was 4, we brought Louie (a bulldog) home. Jax loved going to daycare and playing with bigger dogs so we thought he would be so excited. Nope. He wouldn't even go near him for 3 weeks. Jax is now 10 and Louie is 7 (both neutered). I have since then added Ella (4) and Darla (1), both bulldogs. Jax was better with those 2 when they came home.

Some will say male/female are better and it could be true. Anytime you have more than 1 dog in the house, one will try to be the alpha regardless of sex or if they are intact. Dogs can/will fight regardless if they are neutered are not. But I do know in 2 dog households, a lot of people prefer a male/female combo.

anthonyr77

Reaction score
Thank you! King is not territorial at all lol so maybe it'll be the new puppy. I'm hoping the companionship will benefit him, but still a bit anxious that he will react negatively

I appreciate your help!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Citty has you covered….. it all will depend on you and how you manage the pack as well. I have a 13 year old Frenchie, Chelios, he was an addition to our then 7 year old female (very dominant). They fell right into place because Banks let him know she ruled 😬… fast forward to Chelios being 3 years old (Banks passed) and we added an 11 week old male bulldog… Cheli hated him and literally would leave the room when Lambeau entered — it took two or three weeks but they became best buddies in household crime. Beau passed in January 2024 so Cheli is now reacting the same way with the 10 month old Frenchie (Cubby) we just added to our family… Cheli is not happy, he will be 13 in April, BUT.. after a week, we did have a two minute interaction last night. My point… it could happen quickly, but in most cases it takes a few weeks for them to accept.

Last edited:

🆕 Latest posts