Nasal Stenosis Soft Palate Reduction

MArkMcG81

Reaction score
Our Frenchie (Chet) is 3 years old. Ever since we had him he had typical frenchie characteristics with moving air. He snores,snorts, but would gag and regurgitate after eating sometimes, and all the time after drinking water it would come right back up all over the floor. We recently took him to a reputable vet who is also a Frenchie owner. He was assessed for nasal stenosis and elongated soft palate. The Vet recommend the surgery saying it would improve his quality of life, by increasing exercise tolerance and stopping the regurgitation of food and water. Sounded great, so we signed him up for the procedure.
Post surgery he healed fine, but has now been 3 weeks post surgery. We do NOT notice any difference, in fact he is snoring and snorting louder than ever, still regurgitates food/water and has very minimal increase in exercise tolerance. Wondering if anyone has had similar experience? Is this normal? How big of a difference was Frenchies life post surgery?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tagged someone who may have some experience with this.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I have experience with soft palate reduction surgery in English Bulldogs. We had them done with a laser because it is easier on the dog and has a shorter recovery time. The first surgery was on Mack and it was a textbook, 20 minute surgery. He had no problems and was fully recovered within a week. The second was Chester. They had to remove a lot more tissue and the surgery took over an hour. His recovery was not smooth because of the swelling. I took him back to the vet. at least once to get more meds for swelling--this was 16+ years ago so it isn't fresh in my mind.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Our Frenchie (Chet) is 3 years old. Ever since we had him he had typical frenchie characteristics with moving air. He snores,snorts, but would gag and regurgitate after eating sometimes, and all the time after drinking water it would come right back up all over the floor. We recently took him to a reputable vet who is also a Frenchie owner. He was assessed for nasal stenosis and elongated soft palate. The Vet recommend the surgery saying it would improve his quality of life, by increasing exercise tolerance and stopping the regurgitation of food and water. Sounded great, so we signed him up for the procedure.
Post surgery he healed fine, but has now been 3 weeks post surgery. We do NOT notice any difference, in fact he is snoring and snorting louder than ever, still regurgitates food/water and has very minimal increase in exercise tolerance. Wondering if anyone has had similar experience? Is this normal? How big of a difference was Frenchies life post surgery?

We did have to have our guy, Cheli done a 2nd time ... thinking it was two years after his first procedure. And, now at age 6, I'm even pondering will he need a 3rd procedure. Since the palate is tissue it can grow back so I have to watch how Cheli does when playing... his bigger issue is sleep apnea. After each procedure, Cheli had a very noticeable difference in breathing and his apnea was gone, which is now starting to creep back up.

Have you spoken with your vet... not the tech or desk clerk, but the vet that did the procedure? It may be that the vet did not take enough tissue off, my vet says they prefer to be conservative and not take a lot if they can prevent it. I would ask how much they removed, explain you do not see any improvement and get an understanding of what fully took place... saccules, nares, palate... are there other issues that could be contributing and the procedure had no impact to? they would be my questions.

MArkMcG81

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I was back to the vet for 2 week post op assessment. He advised to give the healing more time and see if any improvements after swelling subsides. My plan is to contact him at week 4 for another check up. I just feel guilty for putting him through a surgery with minimal results, also making me hesitant to do again if recommended by the vet.:(

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I was back to the vet for 2 week post op assessment. He advised to give the healing more time and see if any improvements after swelling subsides. My plan is to contact him at week 4 for another check up. I just feel guilty for putting him through a surgery with minimal results, also making me hesitant to do again if recommended by the vet.:(

Don't beT yourself up... the swelling can make it worse before better-- please keep us posted and I'll send some healing prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balfyre

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so I hope I don't get hit over the head but it is my understanding that the soft palate condition along with others such as the one I am currently finding out about is a genetic defect passed down from the parents. Breeders who have dogs with this weakness in all good conscience should not breed this weakness into their bloodlines. When you do have a litter where the puppies are born this way always give full disclosure so the new owners if they are eventually planning on breeding when their puppy is fully developed can make a different choice.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Checking in --- how is he doing?