New Frenchie Mommy Needs Some Help

MunasG

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new frenchie owner of beautiful 11 week old all black frenchie named Nellie! She was partly a surprise gift from my partner who knows how much I've wanted a frenchie and have been researching the breed for more than 5 yrs. I was finally ready to bring one home this summer but his surprise came a little earlier. He had told me he was looking into getting me one and i was partly involved in the process but not fully. To keep a long story short, we ended up buying our sweetheart from a not-so-reputable "breeder". I had my suspicions that this person was more of a broker than a breeder and i had red flags all along the way but my partner basically convinced me that i was trying to find holes were there weren't any. Needless to say, 2 days after we brought Nellie home, she started have diarrhea with blood and vomiting. I had done enough research to know that parvo was a huge risk for unvaccinated puppies. SO i took her to a vet close by. He had the same suspicions but sent in a fecal test. By the 4th day with us, she was throwing up profusely and looked lethargic and so we rushed her to the emergency vet hospital in our neighbourhood. When they examined her they said she was in pretty bad shape and they tested for parvo. And surely she tested positive. This was on May 2nd. She was then at this hospital for 10 full days battling the virus and at some point we didn't think she was going to make it. Around day 8-9 she started to turn a corner and they discharged her on day 10. We were so excite to have her home. She still looked weak and had lost a to of weight and some hair. We heeded the doctors instructions to limit her exercise and fed her the food they gave us. However since she's been home, she has been throwing up and or regurgitating. I mean 6-7 times a day. We have tried to reduce her food, we have given her anti-nausea meds and even took her back in to the emerg the 2nd night cos she looked like she was choking on her vomit and couldn't breath. They gave her an anti-nausea shot and sent us home. We have been giving her the meds according to schedule. And try as we might we have not exercised her other than a bit of running around he giving room. At firs t we thought may be we were picking her up too many times and that might be the issue. We are just so confused as the what it is. The vet tells us to continue giving her the anti nausea meds and watch her through the weekend to see if she gets better. Today my partner says that she threw up a piece of cement. He doesn't think there's reason for concern because she may have just eaten that little piece. The issue is, since we've had her she has never been outside other than when we carry her to the car to go to vet and back. So am not sure where she would have found the piece of cement. My partner is a contractor and may have had the piece in his work boots. But in any case she is normally fully of energy and then once she gets sick a few time in a row, her energy gets low and she loos lethargic and sickly. I'm trying not to fret overly but i'm concerned. My partner things am making too much out of it. Has anyone ever had this experience with a dog recovering from parvo or who survived parvo?

I know theres a major difference between vomiting and regurgitating, and i know frenchie often have issues with their esophagus and palate. I don't think she's just regurgitating because she's in a lot of distress and wrenching and you can feel her stomach muscle contract. She also seems to have trouble breathing when this is happening. Most of the time what comes out is saliva like, foamy and with a bit of food. sometimes its more liquid and brown colour. It is pretty random and hard to guess whether it happens with activity or right after food. Please help if you have any ideas.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
So sorry you are having this problem, and my heart goes out to your pup, poor baby. I get furious with these bad breeders and these brokers. They all need to be in prison. That being said, I think there is still something going on with your pup. try to find a vet who specializes in Frenchies and English bulldogs. I had a pup a long time ago that got Parvo. He was a little older than yours is and he was a different breed. He stayed at the vet for a couple days, and after that he took about a week to get back to normal. He didn't throw up after I took him home from the vet. That is why I think something else is going on with your baby. I hope you get the help you need, and your baby pulls through this. Please keep us posted.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
This is terrible. I am sorry for you and the pup.
Unfortunately I cant be much of a help, but Im wishing you all the best!
Dont get me started on shady 'breeders' (I prefer to call them 'multipliers' because in my eyes they arent breeders)...:angry::censored::chapped:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry for all this... I have no experience with pravo, but agree with David--- something more happening. I would request xrays to see if there is anything in her belly that should not be there

Sending lots of prayers to you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MunasG

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words! Nellie got even worst after my post, so we took her to the emerg again. We even took a video of what happens with her when she's throwing up. The vet said that it looks more like regurgitating and not vomiting. Frenchies are suceptible to this because of their squished face and sometimes congenital problems with their esophagus. They partially sedated her and did some chest X-rays and ultra sounds of her stomach and said everything looks fine so far. They think she might have aspiration pneumonia but it's hard to tell at this point. The vets suggestion is to limit her exercise and try feeding her smaller portions with her head elevated. She said to monitor her for another few days and if it doesn't stop, bring her back or go see a specialized vet. Her appetite has gone down since last night and she seems to have lost even more weight. I live in toronto, Canada and have been trying to find a vet who specializes in bullies but no luck yet. If any one of you knows one please let me know.

In all of this, the "breeder" has not given much care. Out total vet bill at this point is $7000 from the parvo until now. The one good thing is that we had pet insurance which covers about 70% of this but the balance is still astronomical. But I can't put a price on my baby, I just want her to get better and have a chance at growing up healthy. The breeders answer to all of this is "well if she passes, I'll give you a new puppy!" It just breaks my heart really. For what it's worth I feel something good came out of my contact with this "breeder", at least Nellie is getting most of the care she deserves by being with us. Please keep praying for her, and any tips or suggestions you may have for dealing with regurgitation problems will be appreciated.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
So sorry to hear all this.
I hope she gets better soon!

I believe someone on here had problems with regurgitation and they fixed it by buying an elevated bowl. I hope such an easy fix will help you as well!

WeeDex

Reaction score
This is just awful. So sorry to hear you are having to go through all this, and your pup.... Obviously you are doing all you medically can, which is excellent, and I can't offer much advice there.

I can certainly let you know that my dog had terrible regurgitation issues as a pup, and a raised feeder worked wonders. You can start this immediately by grabbing a flat bowl (I used a flan/quiche dish) or plate from your kitchen and sitting it on some books at an appropriate height for your pup, so the head isn't pointing downwards. Then when you have time, if you want to, you could purchase a raised feeder.

We use a Willowstep, made in the UK but they ship. I'm sure there will be something similar locally. To be honest though I only just purchased this recently. He ate fine of my crudely put together feeder until he was almost one!

I hope this may help you slightly. Let us know how you get on.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
So sorry to hear all that you and your pup have been through and I hope she feels better soon. Poor baby. Sending healing vibes your way:) Keep us posted.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I feel for your baby, and pray she gets better soon. Please keep us posted.

MunasG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. My baby is still down but hanging in there. The vet called again to say that they reviewed her X-ray scans again and they found indication of aspiration pneumonia! I just can't take this anymore. My little girl is still suffering. They are prescribing antibiotics and want to recheck her in a week. At least she seem to be getting her appetite back. But she's still regurgitating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. I researched aspiration pneumonia in puppies and it sounds scary.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. My baby is still down but hanging in there. The vet called again to say that they reviewed her X-ray scans again and they found indication of aspiration pneumonia! I just can't take this anymore. My little girl is still suffering. They are prescribing antibiotics and want to recheck her in a week. At least she seem to be getting her appetite back. But she's still regurgitating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. I researched aspiration pneumonia in puppies and it sounds scary.

Get a vaporizer and put it near her at night to help snd if you can a few times a day steam room the bathroom her but don't let her get to hot.

Gonna look on EBN ( sister site) for a bully vey... EBN has a lot of Toronto members.

here is the EBN list, sorry not sure exacty which would be near you so I copied over all the Canada listings:

~CANADA~

Brookville Veterinary Clinic
11280 Guelph Line RR 1
Campbellville, Ontario
L0P 1B0
905-854-2216
www.brookvillevet.com

The Animal Clinic
106 Mutal Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5B 2R7
416-868-1545
www.theanimalclinic.ca

Guelph Animal Hospital
110 Gordon St
Guelph, ON
519-836-2782
http://guelphvet.ca/contact-guelph-v....rEVzcweH.dpuf

Dr. Jim Standish
ALPINE ANIMAL HOSPITAL
10H KEENLEYSIDE ST
WINNIPEG, MB R2L 2B9
Canada
204-661-9090
www.alpineanimal.vetsuite.com

Algonquin East Animal Clinic
19162 Highway 60, RR2
Barry,s Bay
Ontario, Canada
K0J 1B0
PH 1-613-756-1984
Emergency ONLY PH 1-613-7173873
Fax 1-613-756-4038

Healing Paws Vet Clinic
Port Moody, B.C, Canada
Healing Paws

Staples Animal Hospital, 377 Commissioners Road W
London, ON N6J 1Y4
(519) 472-9301

Last edited:

MunasG

Reaction score
Thank you [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] the one on mutual street is the closest to me. I'll be sure to take my baby there. I will also purchase a vaporizer today.

Mavis

Reaction score
God bless you; I'm so sorry. I hope every day she gets a little better and soon this will just be a distant memory and she won't have any more health problems. I am so glad for you that you have pet insurance. I bet one day, she will be racing around and you won't believe how sick she was when you got her. Please keep us posted.

csantana

Reaction score
I am so sorry about everything your puppy is going through. I am praying she get's better. Please keep us posted as to her condition.

blushy

Reaction score
This sounds horrible! But you are really doing the best that you can with a sticky situation! I know all too well the struggles of getting a sick pup! It takes away all of the fun! Luckily they're still adorable and you form a bond like no other!

I'm fairly sure she developed pneumonia from aspiration because of all of the vomiting/regurgitation... As long as you fight for her, she will fight! Antibiotics should knock it down a notch, she may need more than one round of them. And the humidifier will help wonders!

I agree about elevating the food, it's worth a shot!

Best of luck with the new vet! I'm sure they will have some more solid answers for what to do!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
My gosh, I am so sorry! Poor baby!

I was going to say it sounded like aspiration pneumonia- I'm so glad they caught it when they did. Also a few steam treatments a day help too, take her into the bathroom with the hot shower running. Steam up the bathroom and hold her. As soon as you feel uncomfortable that's enough. Like 5 minutes. Holding her will keep her elevated near the steam since it rises. Sending prayers she overcomes this quickly.

MunasG

Reaction score
Hi all,

My nellie is doing better each day. She has started to perk up a bit! the vomiting has stopped but she is occasionally wretching. Her appetite is coming back and she can play a bit. But i think we her renewed appetite she has now developed gas (pretty loud and smelly) Any recommendations on what to give her for this? Its probably all the meds she's been on. I was planning on feeding her a teaspoon of canned pumpkin as part of her meals but since she's on the prescribed royal canin development puppies canned food am not sure if i should mess up that routine. not until she's feeling much better at least.

Her hair had also fallen out in parts, any ideas how to help it grow back? Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Slow But good progress ! Continuing to send prayers.

Gas is the food and meds would be my guess--- little bit if plain yogurt can help.

Hair loss... Since she has been so sick it could be mites - have the vet do a skin scrape next time in to rule it out

Cosmin

Reaction score
Yes the gas issues are caused by the food she is eating. You can tackle this once she is doing better. It's probably a good idea to get her on a pro-biotic.. which might help this and might help rebuild her stomach as it might be quite damaged from the parvo and all the meds.

So sorry to hear about the parvo thing... we lost one puppy at my dad's house to parvo a few weeks ago. It's a horrible disease :(.

Respect for what you are doing for your puppy.