Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I have a sinking feeling I should have gone with my gut and purchased the Vital Essentials. The employee was nice and spent quite a bit of time with me and said if Daphne would be allergic to something chances are it wouldn't be a fruit or vegetable. Is this accurate?

UPDATE:
Holy smokes. My little itchy diva DESTROYED her food this morning. I thought she'd swallow the bowl too. I gave her half a thawed patty and mixed it with goats milk. She came back into the kitchen and licked around the bowl again a few minutes later. Meanwhile my Boxer is looking at me like, "Are you for real, lady - I don't get any of that?" My husband and I decided to go back and buy some of the nuggets and top Sox's kibble and wet food with it so at least he is getting some raw too. I'm going to try getting some cat nibbles also.

I have no idea if it is a coincidence or not, but when I took Daphne for her 7 am walk, she RAN and did not walk. That girl had many, many springs in her step. I could barely keep up with her energy. Now she is resting peacefully.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a sinking feeling I should have gone with my gut and purchased the Vital Essentials. The employee was nice and spent quite a bit of time with me and said if Daphne would be allergic to something chances are it wouldn't be a fruit or vegetable. Is this accurate?

UPDATE:
Holy smokes. My little itchy diva DESTROYED her food this morning. I thought she'd swallow the bowl too. I gave her half a thawed patty and mixed it with goats milk. She came back into the kitchen and licked around the bowl again a few minutes later. Meanwhile my Boxer is looking at me like, "Are you for real, lady - I don't get any of that?" My husband and I decided to go back and buy some of the nuggets and top Sox's kibble and wet food with it so at least he is getting some raw too. I'm going to try getting some cat nibbles also.

I have no idea if it is a coincidence or not, but when I took Daphne for her 7 am walk, she RAN and did not walk. That girl had many, many springs in her step. I could barely keep up with her energy. Now she is resting peacefully.

That is fantastic news! You’ll really notice a difference with feeding raw. More energy, good skin and coat, less poop.

I am of the belief that fruits and veggies can cause yeast. Some dogs don’t have any problems at all. Finding the right food can be a guessing g game with a lot of trial and error. Stick to one protein at a time so you can document any issues. Primal is a good brand so you can definitely try it out for awhile. After a good few weeks, try a different protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
That is fantastic news! You’ll really notice a difference with feeding raw. More energy, good skin and coat, less poop.

I am of the belief that fruits and veggies can cause yeast. Some dogs don’t have any problems at all. Finding the right food can be a guessing g game with a lot of trial and error. Stick to one protein at a time so you can document any issues. Primal is a good brand so you can definitely try it out for awhile. After a good few weeks, try a different protein.

Ok, thank you. I am ordering an Allergy Test My Pet kit tomorrow and hopefully in two weeks I will know what her triggers are so I can avoid them. A coworker did this for her dog who was raw from itching and chewing and he was allergic to the food they were feeding and some other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if "air" was on my list when the results come back. I fully expect "grass," so I have no clue what to even do with that other than wipe her down after she goes potty and don't let her roll around in it?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Glad she's enjoying the raw ! I think the Vital Essentials Duck consist of: Ground duck with bone, duck heart, duck liver, duck gizzard, boneless skinless duck breast, herring oil, d-alpha tocopherol. If you keep her on this long term I would buy some sea kelp for added vitamins, most of the commercial frozen raw products already contain this, so you are ok without it if you switch her to another product later. If not, you can buy from Amazon, and give about 1/8 tsp twice daily mixed with food. eg. https://www.amazon.com/STARWEST-BOTANICALS-Organic-Granules-Pound/dp/B0071GWMA2

I would get her started on cetirizine 15 mg daily (antihistamine), you can get it cheap from Costco for example https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Aller-Tec%2c-365-Tablets.product.11312465.html

I

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
The Vital Essentials also doesn't have fruits and vegetables, but even if present in a ground raw, it'll only be maximum 10% of product, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to add, and are worried about sugars causing yeast, avoid fruit and starchy vegetables like peas or potatoes or sweet potatoes. You can give asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, parsley, squash, brussel sprouts, celery, green beans, yellow beans, cucumbers, collard, kale, lettuce, spinach as snacks.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. I am ordering an Allergy Test My Pet kit tomorrow and hopefully in two weeks I will know what her triggers are so I can avoid them. A coworker did this for her dog who was raw from itching and chewing and he was allergic to the food they were feeding and some other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if "air" was on my list when the results come back. I fully expect "grass," so I have no clue what to even do with that other than wipe her down after she goes potty and don't let her roll around in it?

Jax is allergic to grass, weeds, trees and shrubs. I give him a weekly bath with either Ketohex or Chlorohexidine shampoo and I also wipe him down with Duoxo wipes every couple days and paw soaks as needed. He was on Apoquel but now gets Cytopoint which is a huge help.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
The Vital Essentials also doesn't have fruits and vegetables, but even if present in a ground raw, it'll only be maximum 10% of product, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to add, and are worried about sugars causing yeast, avoid fruit and starchy vegetables like peas or potatoes or sweet potatoes. You can give asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, parsley, squash, brussel sprouts, celery, green beans, yellow beans, cucumbers, collard, kale, lettuce, spinach as snacks.

Ooohhhhh, thanks for this list of acceptable veggies! I may add some broccoli and green beans tonight as she finishes so quickly and I want to slow her down.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Jax is allergic to grass, weeds, trees and shrubs. I give him a weekly bath with either Ketohex or Chlorohexidine shampoo and I also wipe him down with Duoxo wipes every couple days and paw soaks as needed. He was on Apoquel but now gets Cytopoint which is a huge help.

Oh jeez. I am really curious to find out what Daph's triggers are. I am waiting just a bit to see if at the end of her course of antibiotics, her one paw clears up before hauling her back into the vet for a Cytopoint shot.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Ooohhhhh, thanks for this list of acceptable veggies! I may add some broccoli and green beans tonight as she finishes so quickly and I want to slow her down.

Best way to serve vegetables is to blend them or juice them. Dogs can't properly break them down without doing that since they don't produce cellulase. I feed my dog frozen vegetables as a snack to fill her up, but she gets her real vegetables from the frozen raw food I buy which has it blended in. If you don't want to be bothered just buy a frozen raw that has the vegetables mixed in, but it will also probably have the fruits mixed in, so you will have to see if the yeast is a problem with the carbs from the fruit.

While your dog is on the antibiotics and for a week after continue with the raw goats milk. You can continue after that if you want to of course. I sometimes buy my dog live sauerkraut from the refrigerator section of the health food store plus I make my own water kefir which I give to her.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Ugh, I don't know if I am imagining this or not, but since I started feeding Daphne raw on Saturday, she has felt very warm to the touch. I realize it is hot outside but we keep the air conditioning pretty cool in the house and she feels warm. She also is drinking way less water than normal. I soak her raw patties in goats milk. But still, I am not seeing her take drinks of water during the day like she used to. She also has only pooped once per day the last two days. Is all this normal and I am just being overly cautious?

EDITED TO ADD:
She is sleeping well, is playful, and everything else about her day is normal, just that her foot isn't healing, drinking less water, and feeling warm to the touch.

Thanks for any input!
Hattie

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ugh, I don't know if I am imagining this or not, but since I started feeding Daphne raw on Saturday, she has felt very warm to the touch. I realize it is hot outside but we keep the air conditioning pretty cool in the house and she feels warm. She also is drinking way less water than normal. I soak her raw patties in goats milk. But still, I am not seeing her take drinks of water during the day like she used to. She also has only pooped once per day the last two days. Is all this normal and I am just being overly cautious?

EDITED TO ADD:
She is sleeping well, is playful, and everything else about her day is normal, just that her foot isn't healing, drinking less water, and feeling warm to the touch.

Thanks for any input!
Hattie

Raw fed dogs generally drink less water as the raw is already full of moisture. I can go days without seeing Jax drink. Jax normally only poops once a day, every now and then he will go twice. This is normal as well as they are eating a fresh food diet versus kibble that is processed.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Raw fed dogs generally drink less water as the raw is already full of moisture. I can go days without seeing Jax drink. Jax normally only poops once a day, every now and then he will go twice. This is normal as well as they are eating a fresh food diet versus kibble that is processed.

My two are exactly the same.. rare they are at the water bowl and poo is once a day

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Whew. Thank you both for the reassurance. I feel better knowing it is what is to be expected!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I agree with the pooping and water intake. Same here and very normal.

I can't remember what protein you said that you are using to start, but some people are big into cooling/warming proteins. So, maybe look that up and see if you are giving a warming protein and next time switch to a cooling protein. Just a thought. I don't know much about the theories.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

EDITED TO ADD:

Thanks for any input!
Hattie

Are you still putting Neosporin on the foot? Try soaking in some betadine as well. If it keeps getting worse it may need draining or possibly oral antibiotics.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I agree with the pooping and water intake. Same here and very normal.

I can't remember what protein you said that you are using to start, but some people are big into cooling/warming proteins. So, maybe look that up and see if you are giving a warming protein and next time switch to a cooling protein. Just a thought. I don't know much about the theories.

I am giving her 1/2 Primal duck patty with raw goats milk and 1 duck nugget at each meal. I will look that up - thanks a bunch!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Are you still putting Neosporin on the foot? Try soaking in some betadine as well. If it keeps getting worse it may need draining or possibly oral antibiotics.

Yep. Our routine is, epsom salt paw soak in bathtub. Dry off, followed by soaking that 1 paw in hydrogen peroxide for about 30 sec to 1 minute (that's all she'll stay still for), then dry off again. And about 20 minutes later I apply Neosporin. Today will be her last dose of antibiotics that she will have taken for 14 days total.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Yep. Our routine is, epsom salt paw soak in bathtub. Dry off, followed by soaking that 1 paw in hydrogen peroxide for about 30 sec to 1 minute (that's all she'll stay still for), then dry off again. And about 20 minutes later I apply Neosporin. Today will be her last dose of antibiotics that she will have taken for 14 days total.

I wouldn't do the hydrogen peroxide anymore. I would continue with the neosporin after the epsom salt or betadine soak. If dog is licking paw t, I'd wrap paw with a coban wrap or put on a sock on, or put on a neck collar if you have one ( they have soft collars these days ) .

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I wouldn't do the hydrogen peroxide anymore. I would continue with the neosporin after the epsom salt or betadine soak. If dog is licking paw t, I'd wrap paw with a coban wrap or put on a sock on, or put on a neck collar if you have one ( they have soft collars these days ) .

Yeah, I'm definitely going to stop the HP and I'm afraid it's time for the cone of shame. Thanks!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
So....we've been through 4 or 5 bags of Primal frozen patties in the duck formula. She's doing very well. What are your thoughts on keeping her on this protein long term? I thought I read somewhere in another thread that you should rotate proteins? Daph eats VE rabbit formula treats and I don't think she is sensitive to it. Should I switch to this protein patty for a while? I saw someone else mention that their dog lost weight on rabbit because it is lean. What's another relatively "safe" one to try if not rabbit? Turkey?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!