Picky puppy not eating much, concerned and looking for help!

EPR35

Reaction score
Hello,

My 10 month old boy, Sampson, eats very sparingly and shows very little interest in food (except what I am eating). I have offered him high quality, 5 Star Dogfoodadvisor.com rated foods of multiple types/flavors including kibble (Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Merrick), cooked prepared foods (Freshpet in a variety of flavors), and freeze dried raw (Various flavors of Primal mixed with goat milk). I have also tried adding multiple toppers to each when he loses interest such as sardines, tuna, and feta cheese. The problem is he will usually show interest in a new food but not eat the full recommended daily amount (in multiple feedings) and will lose interest with 2-3 days. Even with all of the changes in food, he has not exhibited any digestive issues (other than regurgitation when drinking water too quickly after vigorous exercise) and there has rarely been issues with the consistency of his poop.

This has obviously become very frustrating and he has not gained any weight in the last 6-8 weeks (he is 25 lbs. but thin) so I'm starting to get concerned. I am bringing him to a highly recommended Vet next week for a consult on exploring brachycephalic conditions that may need to be addressed at the time he is neutered and I will certainly ask about this. He does seem healthy and has a what I would consider a high energy level but his disinterest in food is something I've never seen with any dog!!!

1) Has anyone faced a similar situation with there French and what recommendations can you give me?

2) Does anybody know what the most nutritionally dense reccomended food is that will give him the most calories by eating the smallest amount?

For example, for a short time he liked Merrick Grain Free Puppy food but the recommended amount for his weight is 3 cups/day, he will NEVER eat that much in a day. For Orijen Puppy, on the other hand, the recommended amount is 1 cup/day + for his weight/age. If there is another food in any form that will give him the most calories per the smallest amount I would certainly like to try it!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Eric

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a frozen raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
@rico had and continues to have this issue . I would get two flavors of the same high quality food and alternate one for breakfast and the other for dinner to see if that helps.

You have dine everything I could think of but at 25lbs that is a good weight for 10mths

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=1886]Joeturbo26[/MENTION]

Joeturbo26

Reaction score
Hello,

My 10 month old boy, Sampson, eats very sparingly and shows very little interest in food (except what I am eating). I have offered him high quality, 5 Star Dogfoodadvisor.com rated foods of multiple types/flavors including kibble (Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Merrick), cooked prepared foods (Freshpet in a variety of flavors), and freeze dried raw (Various flavors of Primal mixed with goat milk). I have also tried adding multiple toppers to each when he loses interest such as sardines, tuna, and feta cheese. The problem is he will usually show interest in a new food but not eat the full recommended daily amount (in multiple feedings) and will lose interest with 2-3 days. Even with all of the changes in food, he has not exhibited any digestive issues (other than regurgitation when drinking water too quickly after vigorous exercise) and there has rarely been issues with the consistency of his poop.

This has obviously become very frustrating and he has not gained any weight in the last 6-8 weeks (he is 25 lbs. but thin) so I'm starting to get concerned. I am bringing him to a highly recommended Vet next week for a consult on exploring brachycephalic conditions that may need to be addressed at the time he is neutered and I will certainly ask about this. He does seem healthy and has a what I would consider a high energy level but his disinterest in food is something I've never seen with any dog!!!

1) Has anyone faced a similar situation with there French and what recommendations can you give me?

2) Does anybody know what the most nutritionally dense reccomended food is that will give him the most calories by eating the smallest amount?

For example, for a short time he liked Merrick Grain Free Puppy food but the recommended amount for his weight is 3 cups/day, he will NEVER eat that much in a day. For Orijen Puppy, on the other hand, the recommended amount is 1 cup/day + for his weight/age. If there is another food in any form that will give him the most calories per the smallest amount I would certainly like to try it!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Eric

Are you sure you’re not talking about my dog Rico? Hahaha.

What you described is my dog... exactly! I am by no means a vet, but I will say that just like Rico he sounds happy and healthy. Take a look at my previous posts. I’ve recently gotten to a point where I just threw my hands up and said... this is enough.... he’s healthy he’s capable of eating, he is just picky but he’s a dog, and he won’t starve himself and if he does, I’ll make sure to investigate the issue.

Sure enough, I left food down, and eventually after a full day not eating, by the second day the food was gone...

I learned that this is the one thing I have to obey his schedule with, and let him make the rules... he eats when he wants.

So what I’ve done is, left his entire bowl of food out (Stella and Chewys raw coated kibble) and he eats when he wants. He will 99.9% of the time eat it all at once around 8pm—but he eats his entire portion when he does again 99.9% of the time.

He is also 25 lbs never gains or loses weight... he’s healthy and I’ve learned this is just him.

My advice? Stop worrying as long as there is nothing medically wrong!

Hope this helps!

EPR35

Reaction score
UPDATE...My boy Sampson is now one year old and had nares/soft palate/neuter/tooth extraction done one month ago. Since he has been recovering from the surgeries he very rarely regurgitates and his appetite is the best it has ever been. I started to think part of his low appetite was due to acid reflux so for the 2 weeks after his surgery I gave him omeprazole in hopes of reducing his stomach acid and making it easier for his soft palate wound to heal. He now eats anything I put in front of him as opposed to being a very picky eater before the surgery. Not sure if it was his elongated soft palate or an acid reflux problem causing his pre surgery lack of appetite but either way, no more problems getting him to eat. Hopefully this may help someone else who is experienceing similar problems!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE...My boy Sampson is now one year old and had nares/soft palate/neuter/tooth extraction done one month ago. Since he has been recovering from the surgeries he very rarely regurgitates and his appetite is the best it has ever been. I started to think part of his low appetite was due to acid reflux so for the 2 weeks after his surgery I gave him omeprazole in hopes of reducing his stomach acid and making it easier for his soft palate wound to heal. He now eats anything I put in front of him as opposed to being a very picky eater before the surgery. Not sure if it was his elongated soft palate or an acid reflux problem causing his pre surgery lack of appetite but either way, no more problems getting him to eat. Hopefully this may help someone else who is experienceing similar problems!

Great news!! Thanks for updating

Tgirl

Reaction score
That's great news! I'm so glad he is eating better for you. I know that's a relief.