Puppy food.

louisaB

Reaction score
Hi. I brought my 9 week old Frenchie home yesterday and he is currently on Chudleys dry Chicken puppy/ Junior food.

My brother has Frenchies that can’t eat chicken and I’ve read about keeping them on a grain and gluten free diet.

My husband brought a bag of K9 optimum chicken and salmon puppy food but I am unsure whether to make the change as is does have grains in ( he has not had any yet)

This morning he seemed a little constipated so I think maybe his food does need changing or it could be the stress of a new home.

Any advice please on grain or grain free what is best to feed my puppy.

Thanks.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with your brother... if you are feeding kibble you'll want to avoid chicken an beef, something in the processing just doesn't agree with bulldogs. Grain vs. grain free.... either are good and bad for different reasons, but you have to see what works for you baby.

I'm assuming you are in the UK so I'm not familiar with the foods available.... two I know of that you can look into are James Well Beloved and Oodles

louisaB

Reaction score
Thank you so much! we are in the UK 🥰 I have read a few posts now about chicken / beef so I will be looking into taking that out

Patsy271

Reaction score
Hi. I brought my 9 week old Frenchie home yesterday and he is currently on Chudleys dry Chicken puppy/ Junior food.

My brother has Frenchies that can’t eat chicken and I’ve read about keeping them on a grain and gluten free diet.

My husband brought a bag of K9 optimum chicken and salmon puppy food but I am unsure whether to make the change as is does have grains in ( he has not had any yet)

This morning he seemed a little constipated so I think maybe his food does need changing or it could be the stress of a new home.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I got my pup at 9 weeks too. Now nearly 17 weeks. Luckily, I'd been pre-warned about typical intolerances. The food that seems to suit him best is Wainwright's puppy kibble, salmon and rice or lamb and rice. I use a small portion of each meal as training treats. I soaked them for the first few weeks, to aid digestion.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Grain free versus with grains is a personal preference and as stated, either can benefit your dog. Each dog is different so you’ll need to find a food that works best for you and your dog. I have 4 dogs (1 Frenchie and 3 Bulldogs) and 2 eat raw and 2 eat Open Farm with Ancient Grains with no issues. I personally don’t like grain free as it’s too much peas and legumes for my liking.