Raw food: PREY or BARF?

Millie1982

Reaction score
I have a 15 month old frenchie that has been on raw for the last month or so. I feed her the PREY diet (ground muscle meat, organs, and bone only ,there is a supplier here in CO that grinds it all for me so I don't have to deal with carcasses), but I recently took her to the vet and the vet expressed concern that she doesn't get any vegetables, and that so much meat might be hard on her kidneys. I was considering switching over to the BARF diet (which incorporates fruits/veggies), but I don't want to do so if there is no need for it. I know that not all vets are well versed on the advantages of raw diets, but does anyone here have any thoughts on whether BARF or PREY is a better diet? My frenchie is not very active if that helps at all.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I mainly do prey and will give some veggies/fruits as I’m cutting them for myself. Every now and then I’ll get a brand that has veggies and fruits in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I could barely get past the part where your vet is kinda on board with raw feeding! I left my longtime (12 years) vet because he basically forbid me to switch to raw when my Frenchie was getting ear infections and itching and cysts between toes. I did change vets and while this one is not thrilled I'm feeding raw (PREY), she is okay with it as long as it is a commercial grind.

The kind I am using now (Primal) has fruits and veggies in it. The kind I may switch to also does. There are folks here that have been doing raw way longer than I, and can probably offer more detailed advice.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
You might be interested in the Raw Fed and Nerdy Facebook group. They advocate balancing to NRC standards - it's geared to those that DIY, which I don't do, but I've learned a lot. . I would at least see if this company that you buy from meets AAFCO standards for nutrition or have them give you the nutritional breakdown, so you can try to see where it might be over or under in certain areas, and go from there.