Raw switch - 3.5 month update

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry a little late, but work has been busier than I can ever rememebre.

The boys are still doing great... annual wellness check went great! Our vet is thrilled that we switched to raw and said he can see the benefits..

We are fully on duck at this time, but thinking about trying the rabbit next month. The boys environmental allergies are starting to kick in, but nothing major at all. Little dirty ears and some mucus/congestion. Still feeding twice per day at 5:00 AM and 5:00 PM

Lambeau:
-- we lessened his breakfast to 1/2 cup and dinner is 2/3 cup.
-- he has gained two pounds (62 lbs) up four pounds since we started raw back in December.
-- his seasonal flank alopecia is still not showing up, but I'm watching for any changes.
-- still no improvement in is his folds... one eye still constantly runs, vet checked and there is nothing going on with lashes or eye. I stopped using all candles and oils which is usually a cinnamon/clove scent still -- no change.

ponder.gif

Cheli:
-- gets 1/3 cup at each meal
-- he is holding at 25 lbs
-- he does on occasion get a little regurgitation, but noting major and not consistent. I cut him back to 2 tablespoons of raw goats milk this week to see if it helps.

We have still not added any other treats into the diet.... they get Stella and Chewy duck meal toppers as potty/training treats (training never stops) and raw marrow bones on Saturday nights.

I'll continue to keep you posted... spring/summer I'm hoping to see some improvement with allergies, but right now, not optimistic raw can make a difference... Lambeau is allergic to everything green.. grass, weeds, trees, soy beans, if it is green,,, it is on the list

5e5c06c96f03b412c54024117a56a4f6.jpg

5fa4a7713f73ba8f33c13f3f4c3ad6ba.jpg

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

The boys are still doing great... annual wellness check went great! Our vet is thrilled that we switched to raw and said he can see the benefits..

We are fully on duck at this time, but thinking about trying the rabbit next month. The boys environmental allergies are starting to kick in, but nothing major at all. Little dirty ears and some mucus/congestion. Still feeding twice per day at 5:00 AM and 5:00 PM

Lambeau:
-- he has gained two pounds (62 lbs) up four pounds since we started raw back in December.
-- his seasonal flank alopecia is still not showing up, but I'm watching for any changes.
-- still no improvement in is his folds... one eye still constantly runs, vet checked and there is nothing going on with lashes or eye. I stopped using all candles and oils which is usually a cinnamon/clove scent still -- no change.

ponder.gif

Cheli:
-- he does on occasion get a little regurgitation, but noting major and not consistent. I cut him back to 2 tablespoons of raw goats milk this week to see if it helps.

We have still not added any other treats into the diet.... they get Stella and Chewy duck meal toppers as potty/training treats (training never stops) and raw marrow bones on Saturday nights.

I'll continue to keep you posted... spring/summer I'm hoping to see some improvement with allergies, but right now, not optimistic raw can make a difference... Lambeau is allergic to everything green.. grass, weeds, trees, soy beans, if it is green,,, it is on the list

So they are enjoying the duck then? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sounds similar to my experience with frozen raw. My Frenchie, Honey, is gaining weight on the frozen raw. Could be because I'm adding flax seed oil 5 days a week and hemp seed oil 2 days a week. She does regurgitate occasionally, which she didn't do on the dehydrated raw. Her ears are still ok, but it's really cold here still in Toronto.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds similar to my experience with frozen raw. My Frenchie, Honey, is gaining weight on the frozen raw. Could be because I'm adding flax seed oil 5 days a week and hemp seed oil 2 days a week. She does regurgitate occasionally, which she didn't do on the dehydrated raw. Her ears are still ok, but it's really cold here still in Toronto.

Hmmm.. think it is something to do with freezing that causes the regurgitating?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Hmmm.. think it is something to do with freezing that causes the regurgitating?

I don't serve it frozen. I let the single portion thaw in fridge a day in advance, then mix it in the dog dish with the other ingredients (turmeric,coconut oil, flaxseed or fish or hempseed oil, and Acti-Flex 4000) Lastly I add about 40 mL filtered water that I heat in microwave for 40 seconds. I think it's richer with all the organ meat and tripe, so she's more likely to regurgitate it. It doesn't happen too often, mostly I see her start to regurgitate and she swallows it right away before it comes out, except when I gave her Tollden Farms brand boar.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't serve it frozen. I let the single portion thaw in fridge a day in advance, then mix it in the dog dish with the other ingredients (turmeric,coconut oil, flaxseed or fish or hempseed oil, and Acti-Flex 4000) Lastly I add about 40 mL filtered water that I heat in microwave for 40 seconds. I think it's richer with all the organ meat and tripe, so she's more likely to regurgitate it. It doesn't happen too often, mostly I see her start to regurgitate and she swallows it right away before it comes out, except when I gave her Tollden Farms brand boar.

Ok.. i do them thaw in fridge then add raw honey, fish oil and movoflex

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Ok.. i do them thaw in fridge then add raw honey, fish oil and movoflex

I forgot, I also add sea kelp, since the brand I'm buying now is the PREY diet, so doesn't have any kelp or other added ingredients. I know you are adding local raw honey to help with allergies, but it has to be local to have the pollen you need, and since I live in Toronto all the honey I would buy in farmers markets would be from some rural area far away, so I'm not sure how much it would benefit my dog, who is named Honey :) I'll stick with giving chlorpheniramine twice daily or cetirizine once daily even though it just helps a little. I haven't had to start the K9 Advantix II yet although one member from Toronto reported their dog got a tick already, since it's so cold- we're looking at freezing rain all weekend. I think that was a fluke.

blushy

Reaction score
I’m glad the switch to raw was beneficial!

Love those boys! [emoji7]

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

Lambeau:

ponder.gif

Cheli:

If you feed Chelios 2% of his weight each day that's 0.5 pound per day = 1 cup per day so it's crazy how he's not losing weigh since you are feeding 2/3 cup per day.
If you feed Lambeau 2% of his weight each day that's 1.2 pounds per day = 2.4 cups per day and you are feeding 1.2 cups per day so it's crazy he is gaining weight- he should be losing weight.
I'm experiencing weight gain on my Honey too while feeding 1/3 pound = 2/3 cup twice daily, which is the proper amount for her 34 pound weight. I'm thinking it's the fat I add to her diet- a 300 mg DHA/EPA fish oil in the morning, and with dinner either the contents of a 1000mg flax seed oil capsule or 1/2 tsp hemp seed oil. Plus I am giving her 1 tsp coconut oil twice daily., and the contents of a 400IU Vit E capsule once weekly. Plus I give her dessicated liver snacks that I get from Costco and frozen green beans.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If you feed Chelios 2% of his weight each day that's 0.5 pound per day = 1 cup per day so it's crazy how he's not losing weigh since you are feeding 2/3 cup per day.
If you feed Lambeau 2% of his weight each day that's 1.2 pounds per day = 2.4 cups per day and you are feeding 1.2 cups per day so it's crazy he is gaining weight- he should be losing weight.
I'm experiencing weight gain on my Honey too while feeding 1/3 pound = 2/3 cup twice daily, which is the proper amount for her 34 pound weight. I'm thinking it's the fat I add to her diet- a 300 mg DHA/EPA fish oil in the morning, and with dinner either the contents of a 1000mg flax seed oil capsule or 1/2 tsp hemp seed oil. Plus I am giving her 1 tsp coconut oil twice daily., and the contents of a 400IU Vit E capsule once weekly. Plus I give her dessicated liver snacks that I get from Costco and frozen green beans.

I stopped the local honey this week and switched treats to freeze dried beet tripe... see if it helps. Only other thing I can think of, is the package is not listing ALL ingredients

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I stopped the local honey this week and switched treats to freeze dried beet tripe... see if it helps. Only other thing I can think of, is the package is not listing ALL ingredients

I find also that Honey still regurgitates in her mouth quite often on the frozen raw, but it doesn't seem to matter which protein. I've tried turkey, lamb, beef, chicken,boar,pork, turkey and salmon. I also find that she gets constipated so end up giving her some canned pumpkin almost every day. Pumpkin is very low calorie compared to sweet potato so that's not why she's gaining weight.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Christine, those two boys are so handsome, you are such a great Mom!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I find also that Honey still regurgitates in her mouth quite often on the frozen raw, but it doesn't seem to matter which protein. I've tried turkey, lamb, beef, chicken,boar,pork, turkey and salmon. I also find that she gets constipated so end up giving her some canned pumpkin almost every day. Pumpkin is very low calorie compared to sweet potato so that's not why she's gaining weight.

Cheli was too.. i cut back in amount of goats milk and he still does occasionally, but not every day.

I also switched to rabbit... today is day two

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Christine, those two boys are so handsome, you are such a great Mom!

Thank you,Alice... they are handsome devils and lots of work but LOVE them to pieces

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli was too.. i cut back in amount of goats milk and he still does occasionally, but not every day.

Jax does really good with rabbit. It’s always in the rotation.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score

Are you feeding a commercial raw? If she is constipated, the bone content might be too high for her.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Are you feeding a commercial raw? If she is constipated, the bone content might be too high for her.

Yes, I agree- the bone content of the commercial frozen raw I'm buying is 15% bone, and theoretically should be only 10%. I'm making up for it with the pumpkin, but I'll try to look for a 10% bone content next time.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

How are the dogs doing on the frozen? I find Honey still regurgitates a bit on the food. I had cut out coconut oil since she seemed to keep gaining weight, but she seems to need antihistamine, turmeric, fish oil AND coconut oil to make a dent on her environmental allergies. She was licking her paws more when I took her off coconut oil.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How are the dogs doing on the frozen? I find Honey still regurgitates a bit on the food. I had cut out coconut oil since she seemed to keep gaining weight, but she seems to need antihistamine, turmeric, fish oil AND coconut oil to make a dent on her environmental allergies. She was licking her paws more when I took her off coconut oil.

They are both doing well.... Cheli regurgitated is pretty much gone.. it is maybe once a week that i see him do it, usually after eating too fast.

I moved them to duck and tuna... so far so good! I did rabbit for a month but Cheli lost two pounds which he didn’t need.

Lambeau started his Cytopoint shots for the summer so he looks great :)