Red/irritated third eyelids that will not retract (NOT cherry eye)

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I like giving Hydrasense Gel Drops for my dog's dry eye - it clogs up every so often and I have to clean the tip with some water. It's got a built in micropore filter so it doesn't need preservative, so it's less irritating. It also contains sodium hyaluronate, which is very natural. I don't see it listed anymore on Amazon USA, just in Canada, but you do have Hylo Gel or Tears in USA, which is a bit more expensive, but basically you're paying for the "brand name".
eg. https://www.amazon.com/HYLO-Gel-befeuchtende-Augentropfen-Solution/dp/B00E670ISW/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=hylo&qid=1581036717&sr=8-7

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Late on this, but my dog had same exact thing going on. I took her to the vet and he gave her NeoPolyDex Opthalmic Ointment. It was gone within hours. I hung on to the med, and when ever it happened again, I just put some on the area (it's great fun trying to do this - NOT) and like I said, within an hour or two her eyes looked great.

BanksTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Thank each of you for your suggestions, I'm going to try each of them one by one for a few weeks each before trying the next to see what helps!

BlueDevil

Reaction score
Duke.jpg

We just recently got our little guy and he seems to be showing the redness in his eye corners. I have been really worried it's cherry eye before seeing this thread. Now i'm thinking because it's not protruding that hopefully it is just irritation. Duke.jpgSo I am gonna start head down the road of trying diet change, Zyrtec and then hopefully a prescription for NeoPoly Opthalmic if thats needed and Vet will prescribe. Please share and update any successes or remedies y'all have had.

Thanks

BanksTheFrenchie

Reaction score
So actually just getting started on a remedies, as we had to had a week of runny stool and vet visits from a rare worm Banks had that his dewormer wasn't killing initially. So haven't had the chance to try the remedies above yet until tonight, but our vet prescribed Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Ophthalmic Drops for us tonight. So this is a photo of his eyes tonight before starting the drops, Ill post photos in a few days to a week as an update. Hoping this helps little guy.

IMG_4565 2.jpegIMG_4545.jpeg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So actually just getting started on a remedies, as we had to had a week of runny stool and vet visits from a rare worm Banks had that his dewormer wasn't killing initially. So haven't had the chance to try the remedies above yet until tonight, but our vet prescribed Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Ophthalmic Drops for us tonight. So this is a photo of his eyes tonight before starting the drops, Ill post photos in a few days to a week as an update. Hoping this helps little guy.

View attachment 13767View attachment 13768

Adorable little face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BanksTheFrenchie

Reaction score
View attachment 13754

We just recently got our little guy and he seems to be showing the redness in his eye corners. I have been really worried it's cherry eye before seeing this thread. Now i'm thinking because it's not protruding that hopefully it is just irritation. View attachment 13754So I am gonna start head down the road of trying diet change, Zyrtec and then hopefully a prescription for NeoPoly Opthalmic if thats needed and Vet will prescribe. Please share and update any successes or remedies y'all have had.

Thanks

How how are your little pups eyes doing? We tried the neo poly ointment from the vet and it didnt really help much. Trying eye C now from amazon and it helps a tiny bit but not very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep! Isabelle does the SAME. I'm constantly rubbing over her eyes so she shuts them while she's sleeping!

And she just has more white on her head than your little baby! The entire grey head is adorable ha!

821e3b3d7dd361d3ecdc2004e5c437ba.jpg

This is her as a baby! Her eyes didn't have the 3rd eyelid showing as much as now!

I think it may be a dry eye/sleeping with eyes open symptom now that I'm thinking about it/noticing BOTH dogs do the same thing!

I wouldn't worry unless she paws at her eyes like mentioned above. Sometimes my girl tries to rub hers on the floor (carpet) and I give her a Temaril-P allergy pill and she stops within the hour and is fine!

How how are your little pups eyes doing? We tried the neo poly ointment from the vet and it didnt really help much. Trying eye C now from amazon and it helps a tiny bit but not very much.

blushy

Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Isabelle ended up getting cherry eye as a puppy we got surgically fixed.

But other than that, she’s fine now.
Just seasonal itchies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louiethefrenchie

Reaction score

Hey has your dog gotten any better with the medicine?? My dog has the same issue. I started him on non-prescribed dog eye drops but I don’t see any improvements.
6A0C1516-91FF-4333-A2B0-6BA33B7D40AA.jpeg
FD2D7779-7415-4B66-8F73-C20C615CA24F.jpeg
And sometimes it gets red too does anyone else have that problem?
04FA27A0-0BED-49B0-8B75-BAE219ADFF4D.jpeg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Hey has your dog gotten any better with the medicine?? My dog has the same issue. I started him on non-prescribed dog eye drops but I don’t see any improvements.
View attachment 14191
View attachment 14192
And sometimes it gets red too does anyone else have that problem?
View attachment 14193

that seems like some allergy eye... nothing major, you can use eye drops to help or have vet check for dry eye