Trainer needs HELP

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Ok peeps I need some overall doggie advise. No I definately don't have all the answers and I'm about ready to give up on this Boxer. I'm at my whits end.

He is a rescue we have had for about 2-3 years now. Over the past year he has attacked 3 little white dogs. One at the dog park, one in the neighborhood and one at a restaurant! No blood thank God but tramatic, violent and unprovoked! He bites them on the butt, picks them up and thrashes his head side to side like a great white shark! It's so violent and scary! We have stopped allowing him outside the front of the house, no dog parks, and no outings at all. Now add in he is food agressive and went after Ollie the other day. He thinks he is alpha no matter how hard I try and training I do with him, he still growls at me and the kids when we try to move him from his bed. The only person he won't growl at is my husband. The most recent problem he's destroying my doors! We are putting all the dogs outside the house during the day in our new big covered patio and yard. Plenty of water and shade but this dog wants in the house and is digging at my doors. He has ruined 2 of them already. We have resorted to crating him during the day so we don't have more property damage. I'm worried about this dog. He's agressive, destructive and just a huge problem and my husband won't consider giving him back to the rescue he got him from. The only way is if he attacks or bites one of us, which I fear is not far off.

I have told the husband that he's going to have to crate him from now on. I'm tired of fighting with him to get him in the crate. He's gonna bite me.

HELP?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Wow, that is a hard one, as I know you know what to do with dog training. Some times they just get it in their heads and nothing you can do will ever change it. He is showing signs id dominance aggression. That is very hard if not impossible to fix. I am sure you have tried the "make him earn everything", if not you might try that. I don't like the fact that he is growling at you and the kids, as I would not want him to bite one of you. I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas to try.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Wow, that is a hard one, as I know you know what to do with dog training. Some times they just get it in their heads and nothing you can do will ever change it. He is showing signs id dominance aggression. That is very hard if not impossible to fix. I am sure you have tried the "make him earn everything", if not you might try that. I don't like the fact that he is growling at you and the kids, as I would not want him to bite one of you. I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas to try.

Yes. It's truly frustrating and overwhelming. I feel conflicted about this dog. While I am a HUGE dog lover and at first I really loved Tank, but after the first time he attacked another dog my feelings began to change and now that he's growling at our family it's a real problem that my husband won't admit. I'm having to make him take care of Tank before he goes to work in the mornings (4AM) and then Tank is in the crate until he gets home at like 4 or 5 in the afternoon. So I end of hating him but feeling really sorry for him too. Crating a dog that long is not fair to him at all. In my mind it's cruel. But, I have run through all my options with this dog. ARG.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any sort of "boot camp" you can take him to to work with him? My sis in law recently sent their pup to one for 2 weeks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Yikes, Julie, it sounds like Tank has turned into a monster. I'd find a muzzle that fits him so he won't be able to bite anyone then try to find a hard core trainer to work with him or at least make an independent assessment, something to jolt your husband out of denial.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I also just remembered. Have his Thyroid levels checked, as if they are out of whack, that can cause this behavior.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
David, I was just about to add this.
Definitely get his thyroid level tested. Aggression and anxiety (trying to get in the house) could be symptoms.

Willowrun

Reaction score
If his medical tests are okay, I sympathize with you and the dog! It is not a good quality of life for him, your neighbors or your family.....he WILL get worse,not better.....I used to raise,show and train Boxers....I only saw two cases like him via all the boxer people I met and all the hundreds and hundreds of boxers met. For the good of everyone,it may be time to let him go peacefully and by your terms. iF god forbid he grabs someone's face or kills a dog,he will probably be taken anyway and you are At risk of being sued end losing much more,never mind the mental stress you are carrying. He is so confined and restricted now that there is not much more left for him to do except be even more determined and controlling. One big male I had adopted was just like him grabbing and shaking a schnauzer....we rehabbed him for 13mos to no avail.....he then proceeded about a month later and busted through a storm door when a person was chasing their puppy up the street.....he was vicious and broke the puppy's leg. We put him down for everyone's safety and peace of mind in the household. They will make other dogs Ill or acting bad because of his negative,frustrated energy. Best of luck with a tough adult decision! We always have to decide some unpleasant realities as we mature and understand what is at stake fom both sides.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=292]Willowrun[/MENTION] well said, sometimes we have to make that dreadful decision that is best for all parties, even though we do not want to.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
As I am sure you know this, but if your feelings are of dislike/fear could be adding to his behavior issues, but I agree --- if he is not in any pain or health issue, it may be best to have an indepent trainer come in and inform your husband that there is no keeping Tank in this environment.

Best of luck to you all :hug:

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm advise. Things are better the past couple days. We have put gates in front of the doors and we are leaving him outside again. Fortunately no damage so far. Fingers crossed. He loves me I know he does, he comes up and puts his head in my lap and wants me to accept him. I'm hoping that having my husband feed and make sure to take care of him will keep the problem at bay. If we can leave him outside without damage it's a win win for everyone.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope you are able to find a solution to keep him. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk