Vet Update 2.0

wonderwife12

Reaction score
Okay, SO!
Combo stayed at the vet from 11am until 5pm. He was treated and bathed etc.
She told me upon further investigation that he has swelling in his body, inside. In his organs. She told me he has inflammation. He also has candida inside and out.
He also has double ear infections,.
"his condition is the same as a dog you would find on the street."
Which is horrifying for me.
We've been given medicine for his candida, ears and inflammation.
She also said he needed to put on some weight, he's too small for his age. And along with that she mentioned he drinks too much water.

How much water is enough/too much for a puppy?

Also, can coconut oil help him? My friend who rescues animals swears by it. I picked up some tonight. Ive applied it to the spot on his head and he's stopped itching it, which is awesome.

Any advice to make him more comfortable would be amazing.

He's currently having REALLY wet water stools and won't eat.
I put down food at 5pm and he hasn't touched it.
I worry for that because he's so small.
Seriously, any advice would be really great.

Thanks again for following me with my updates and being so supportive.
It feels good to express what I find and feel with other frenchie owners.

Were recommended to go to the vet every fridays for check ups and a dip for the candida.

Would I be able to use the coconut oil and antibiotics at the same time??

Okay those are all my questions, good night all!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I never heard of too much water :blink: can you get canned pure pumpkin? That can help with the soft poo.
Coconut oil has many great benefits.. only need like a teaspoon of it every other day and you can also rub it on the spot to help with the itch.
In reading a few articles on candida... it is a yeast infection, right?

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
If you are having a problem with yeast, I would limit the amount of carbs in his food and make sure he is not eating white potatoes. This can promote yeast overgrowth. Not sure about the remark that he is drinking too much water, but some times dogs do "tank" and drink too much at one time. My Stella does this and if she drinks too much she burps it back up. Typically dogs need between 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight.
Could the medicine be making his tummy upset? Not sure what the vet gave him. My dogs don't like pumpkin, so I give them a bit of white rice when they have diahrrea. Just make sure it is really cooked well and soft. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. Keep us posted.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would not restrict water from a pup, especially if he has loose poop. I would check for parasites, for an infection. If he has inflammation, then the meds he is on could be causing the loose poop. I hope you pups gets better soon.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What food are you feeding him...Royal Canin? If so, I would really consider switching foods. That can be what is causing the loose stool and him not wanting to eat. My parents have a 3 year old cat who was put on the prescription RC for urinary/kidney issues and after being on that for a bit he started getting sick (vomiting, constipation, not wanting to eat). I kept telling them it was most likely the food causing all of the problems and that they should try a different food. They switched him to raw and now he is eating again and back to normal. Plus with raw, your dog will drink less water because there is so much moisture in the raw. If you can't do raw, maybe you can look at different brands of kibble to try.

I know you are in Taiwan so your options for food might be limited but here is a great website that rates dog food - Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Good luck!

BamaGroomer

Reaction score
What food and treats does he get???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

🆕 Latest posts