What are you feeding your Frenchie?

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Stella eats raw. She will eat anything...she has yet to turn up her nose at what she is offered. Her favorite seems to be chicken though. She is also a big fan of raw eggs, shell and all :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Stella eats raw. She will eat anything...she has yet to turn up her nose at what she is offered. Her favorite seems to be chicken though. She is also a big fan of raw eggs, shell and all :)

Cheli is the same way.... he does not even smell what you are giving him - just takes it

Chester

Reaction score
Since almost all bulldogs (English or french) have sensible skin, I read DOG DISH DIET by Dr. Greg Martinez, DVM.
He has a very good recipe, chicken+veggies+ rice or potatoes and can food (chicken).
I bought it at amazon.com also he has a good blog.
He explains step by step what we can feed our precious bullies.

Rudi Lim

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to start my 6 week old on raw eggs diet. Are raw eggs alone be suffice for growth? If so what's the quantity I should feed? :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to start my 6 week old on raw eggs diet. Are raw eggs alone be suffice for growth? If so what's the quantity I should feed? :)

I have never heard of just raw eggs as a diet, but you can do some reading on our sister forum English Bulldog News, it's been around a few years and has a lot of diet and nutrition info. Frenchies and bulldogs share many of the same skin issues.

Here's a link to that forums diet and nutrition posts:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?247-Diet-and-Nutrition

Hopefully that will help you, please let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We feed Hazel FROMM Pork and Peas.

petitsfilous

Reaction score
Bernie is fed on Wainwrights Puppy Salmon & Potato kibble. When he is a year old I will most likely pop him onto Fishmongers Finest Salmon & Potato kibble (they don't do a puppy food).

We tried raw feeding for 3 months but his motions never improved. We then tried him on Eden's Multi-meat & Fish Formula kibble for 3 months but it was too rich and high in protein for him and again... His motions were loose.

Since moving him onto Wainwrights just two weeks ago, his coat has improved, he's calmer and strangely.. his breathing seems to have improved. (He'd been sounding rather rattly over the last couple months). Oh and his motions are PERFECT now :)

Dana M

Reaction score
I feed my dogs Acana Ranchland. My corso has been on that for 2 years and loves it. My new frenchie Jedi seems to love it as well.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I have switched Buster over to NVI Limited Ingredient Turkey because that's what Ruggles is eating. Since the switch Ruggles hasn't eaten Buster's poop, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't. We split them up during Buster's projected poop time.

agukri

Reaction score
So guys, I've had problems with "expensive dogfoods" in the past with my Frenchie. He is a month away from being a year old. The foods I've given him always gave him diarrhea and when I took him to the vet, the doctor said that those foods were too rich for a little frenchie. I since had him on Iams (which I feel so gross about) but his stools have firmed up since then.

Still, I feel awful that I'm feeding him such low quality food. Has anyone else had issues like this in the past? Maybe since he's older now he can stomach rich food?

Maybe there's a dog food specifically made for bulldogs? This has been on my conscience for a long time now!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
So guys, I've had problems with "expensive dogfoods" in the past with my Frenchie. He is a month away from being a year old. The foods I've given him always gave him diarrhea and when I took him to the vet, the doctor said that those foods were too rich for a little frenchie. I since had him on Iams (which I feel so gross about) but his stools have firmed up since then.

Still, I feel awful that I'm feeding him such low quality food. Has anyone else had issues like this in the past? Maybe since he's older now he can stomach rich food?

Maybe there's a dog food specifically made for bulldogs? This has been on my conscience for a long time now!

The only thing that comes to mind is over feeding, as you would need to feed much less of a good quality kibble vs. Iams. When I fed Iams years ago I think I fed 3-4 cups a day, but with Fromm it's only 2 cups. Over feeding can cause runny poops :). Even just 1/8 of a cup too much can do this.

Oh I should also mention the case above was an English Bulldog, not a French Bulldog, so a French Bulldog would eat much less per feeding.

How much do you feed per meal right now on Iams ?

agukri

Reaction score
That's the thing! I never over fed him the rich stuff, I always paid close attention to the feeding guidelines I even tried to change it up but it always gave him severe diarrhea :( With Iams I feed him about 2 cups of food a day sometimes more sometimes less (depends how persistent he is) He's a healthy 24 lbs. I have been doing research on the site though and it seems like FROMM is a favorite around here. I think I want to give it a shot and start mixing it into the food he eats now.

SpArX

Reaction score
I feed health extension , my little girl is 4x months old and loves it, I did try to do orijen but she didn't do well at all on it due to it being so rich, health extensions is a really good food, but would consider Fromm as so many people that I know use this it and love it.

kim

Reaction score
I'm just switching over to Fromm puppy. Piper is almost 3.5 months and eats 3/4 - 1 cup of food a day.

Roxy

Reaction score
Just new to the conversation here. Spinach, boiled chicken' white rice and nutrol dry food.

- - - Updated - - -

Just new to the conversation here. Spinach, boiled chicken' white rice and nutrol dry food.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the thing! I never over fed him the rich stuff, I always paid close attention to the feeding guidelines I even tried to change it up but it always gave him severe diarrhea :( With Iams I feed him about 2 cups of food a day sometimes more sometimes less (depends how persistent he is) He's a healthy 24 lbs. I have been doing research on the site though and it seems like FROMM is a favorite around here. I think I want to give it a shot and start mixing it into the food he eats now.

Since you weren't over feeding I'm thinking it's possible she may have been a severe allergy to a particular ingredient. Back in 2002 I had a bulldog who got severe diarrhea when I have her a lamb food. She ate 1 cup and I swear she pooped out 6. It looked very gassy and undigested. Like dog food whipped in a blender.

You could try a limited ingredient kibble that has fewer ingredients and see how she does. Get one that's close to the Iams you are currently feeding but with less fillers. I love Fromm but it really does have a large number of ingredients and that can make it tricky to figure out what the problem could be. :detective:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I switched Jax over to the Fromm Four Star Beef Frittata and Pork & Peas. He started getting really itchy in his paws and constantly going at them. His old food was chicken based so I decided to try the Fromm Chicken A La Veg and his itching has greatly improved. I'm not sure if he was allergic to the beef or pork but since he is doing good on the chicken, I am keeping him on that.

bubblelishis25

Reaction score
I feed mine natural balance but she poops 5x a day and good size ones. She has skin allergies and food allergies, she is on fish and sweet potato and we are having her allergy tested next month but she won't stop pooping! Otherwise everything is fine but I'm wondering if I should switch to this Fromme? or Instinct? I have never heard of from but could use some help, I'm lost.