Will my puppy get more cobby?

paulabear84

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got a 9 week old frenchie girl. I picked her from a litter of 4 when she was 2 weeks old. I picked her up at 8 weeks and I noticed she looked different from her litter mates. She is slimmer and narrower than her brother and sisters. Her siblings are round and cobby which is what a French bulldog conformation should be or at least the reason I like the breed. Is it possible for her to become more cobby and wide as she gets older or does this mean that genetically she is just going to be very different from her litter mates? At 2 weeks when I chose her they all looked the same body wise, just different colors. She looks so slim which also makes her look longer. I love her either way but this has been on the back of my mind, specially now that I see the other owners posting pictures of her siblings. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Their bodies change a lot in the first 6 months and continue to change until they are 1&1/2 or 2!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
She is adorable, as are her litter mates. I don't know how much her head will change as she grows, but her body definitely will.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
She is a cutie for sure. Females tend to be smaller than males as it is plus she is still young so her body will change as she grows.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What a sweetie!!!
They grow up first year, out second year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
She is a cutie. Their bodies do change some when growing, but she will be on the narrow side.

paulabear84

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I just need to accept the fact that she won’t have the confirmation I had hoped for. It’s just really difficult these days to get a frenchie since the breed has become so popular. A lot of breeders have waiting lists for litters that haven’t even been conceived yet. You are pretty much forced to pick a pup the moment they are born. In the good old days you would go to the breeder and meet the mom along with all the pups in the litter at around 6 to 8 weeks and pick the one you liked based on the temperament and look you were looking for. These days is such a gamble. I saw pictures of the parents and they looked cobby with nice round heads but I guess she was the odd one on the litter. She is still my little precious girl, I’m just a little afflicted I guess as you all know these dogs are not cheap

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I just need to accept the fact that she won’t have the confirmation I had hoped for. It’s just really difficult these days to get a frenchie since the breed has become so popular. A lot of breeders have waiting lists for litters that haven’t even been conceived yet. You are pretty much forced to pick a pup the moment they are born. In the good old days you would go to the breeder and meet the mom along with all the pups in the litter at around 6 to 8 weeks and pick the one you liked based on the temperament and look you were looking for. These days is such a gamble. I saw pictures of the parents and they looked cobby with nice round heads but I guess she was the odd one on the litter. She is still my little precious girl, I’m just a little afflicted I guess as you all know these dogs are not cheap

I ran into that same problem when searching g for a breeder for a bulldog. Everyone wants you to pick within 48 hours of the litter being born. I wanted to pick based on personality and after seeing the pups walking around and playing. I did finally find a breeder who did that so they are out there, just might be hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraciesMom

Reaction score
I know the feeling. My Gracie is also far from the breed standard. She is long in body, slim, tall and with a smaller head. We drove five hours to get her from a breeder who participates in an AKC program meeting specific health requirements for the parents and pups. Yet she came with multiple health problems and is half the weight she should be at 5 1/2 months. I paid full price -- the going rate these days for a pure bread Frenchie. Would I do things differently in the future? Absolutely. Do I regret getting her? Absolutely not! She is sweet, affectionate, funny, feisty and beautiful to us. She greets everyone as if she's been waiting for them all her life. She couldn't make us happier if she was the breed winner at Westminster. image.jpeg

paulabear84

Reaction score
Gracie is super cute. She had a nice round head a big frenchie eyes. My pup has an oval face and her eyes are small and kind of pink. I’m going to ask the vet if that is normal. Her siblings have big dark eyes and my little one looks like she is tired all the time. Also I think she is the crazy one of the litter. She has a lot of energy and has destroyed everything in her path since I got her. She barks, cries, jumps and throws all kinds of tantrums. I keep in touch with the owners of the other pups in the litter. They say their pups are very mellow and calm so I clearly got the high energy one. I’ve been working on positive re-inforcement with her so I hope that works. So far she is being really stubborn and difficult so patience is going to be key. I feel so guilty for saying this but I feel like I got a bad deal with this breeder

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I think many times the Frenchies that are white or have mostly white faces tend to look like their eyes are smaller than those that have masks or solid faces. Kind of a trick of the eye. Not to say there aren't variations in shape, but I think color plays a part. Molly's eye with the patch over it looks bigger to me, even though I know in reality it's not. She looks adorable to me and her eyes look normal, but I know people tend to be drawn to chubby babies and big eyes, whether they are human or animal.

If she's super high energy compared to her siblings, that may be one reason that she's more lean. She's just naturally burning off more calories. Maybe up her intake a bit?? I know Gus was gaining about a pound a week at that age.

What exactly is she throwing tantrums about and what is she destroying? Is she getting enough opportunity for exercise?

Mavis

Reaction score
Awwww; she's just a little baby. I'm sure she will fill out as she gets older. Bambi is full grown but has a smaller waste to her chest. She is perfect to me!

paulabear84

Reaction score
I think many times the Frenchies that are white or have mostly white faces tend to look like their eyes are smaller than those that have masks or solid faces. Kind of a trick of the eye. Not to say there aren't variations in shape, but I think color plays a part. Mila's eye with the patch over it looks bigger to me, even though I know in reality it's not. She looks adorable to me and her eyes look normal, but I know people tend to be drawn to chubby babies and big eyes, whether they are human or animal.

If she's super high energy compared to her siblings, that may be one reason that she's more lean. She's just naturally burning off more calories. Maybe up her intake a bit?? I know Gus was gaining about a pound a week at that age.

What exactly is Mila throwing tantrums about and what is she destroying? Is she getting enough opportunity for exercise?

I've tried feeding her more but she just leaves her extra food on the plate and her tantrums are about attention. I ignore her when she does it so she understands that by doing it she won't actually get what she wants. She does it in the morning when I wake up and she wants me to come get her out of her play pen, she does it as well when i'm about to feed her, she does it again when i come home from work, she does it when she wants her sister (my other older frenchie) to play with her but she doesnt want to. I ignore her until she calms down each time (it takes her about 15-20 minutes) and you would think we would have made some progress by now but she is still doing it. She also plays very aggressively with other pups. I've been taking her to puppy play groups and even though she is the smallest in size, she terrorizes the other dogs. She is constantly barking and growling and pining down the other downs which to some extent is expected from puppies but she does it without stopping, like she growls the entire time she is playing. The trainer who moderates the play groups is constantly putting her on time outs. She is also very aggressive with my older frenchie (by older i mean 3.5 years old). I was worried at first because she was not correcting her but these past few days she has and the puppy ones has been responding so hopefully that would teach her some manners.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
She barks, cries, jumps and throws all kinds of tantrums.

I keep in touch with the owners of the other pups in the litter.

They say their pups are very mellow and calm so I clearly got the high energy one.

Any aspect of temperament addressed in the breeder's paperwork?

paulabear84

Reaction score
Any aspect of temperament addressed in the breeder's paperwork?

No. She just mentioned on one of her texts that she was very playful but I just took it as she is a bit more playf han other puppies but she is actually over the top. I call her puppy monster haha.

I’m so drained from being on top of her correcting her and cleaning after her. The potty training has been another issue. I live in nyc and I don’t have a yard so I have to wait until she has all her shots before I take her on walks to teach her to go outside so right now she is on wee wee pad duty but she just rips them all into pieces, even out of the holder

GraciesMom

Reaction score
She's precious in any case. Gracie is also very lean and high energy -- running, always getting into things. She also makes off with the pee pads and chews them up. And housebreaking has been a challenge for us as well. We're convinced we've been the victims of "revenge pees." Now that she's closing in on six months, things have improved. We are able to take her out and she usually does her business outside. Plus the walks help drain some of her energy. She also gets to meet new people and other dogs along the way. Getting outside has made all the difference. I'm betting the same will be true for your baby.

paulabear84

Reaction score
She's precious in any case. Gracie is also very lean and high energy -- running, always getting into things. She also makes off with the pee pads and chews them up. And housebreaking has been a challenge for us as well. We're convinced we've been the victims of "revenge pees." Now that she's closing in on six months, things have improved. We are able to take her out and she usually does her business outside. Plus the walks help drain some of her energy. She also gets to meet new people and other dogs along the way. Getting outside has made all the difference. I'm betting the same will be true for your baby.

I hope so. I have to wait until she gets all her shots so we can start walking outside.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Don't feel guilty. I feel exactly the same way. Plus mine was sick -- I spent thousands in vet bills the first two months, making it an even worse deal. But the truth is that few people you encounter care whether your dog looks like what a Frenchie is supposed to. They respond to the individual. I've had people stop cars and run out of houses to greet her. I can't tell you the number of people who have told me she's beautiful. Your pup is absolutely adorable and with that irresitible Frenchie personality she will be a show stopper.