Yeast and allergies

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last few days, Jax's ears had been getting red/pink, he was rubbing his face on the carpet, he was always licking his paws and his paw pads were extremely red/rusty looking. I suspected yeast, took him to the vet yesterday and that is what it was. He was given ear drops and 2 pills to take for 3 weeks. As I have been dealing with potential allergies for sometime now (he is not even 1 years old yet) and I am maybe thinking the allergies are not food related (I have tried many, many different types of brands, proteins, etc.), I got the names of 3 dermatologists in my area and have decided to go ahead with an allergy test to try to get some answers. I hate when my baby is suffering and will do whatever I can to help him. I am going to contact all three, get price estimates and find out what method they use for the testing.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Wow, poor baby, seasonal allergies can be rough. I hope the new doc can give you so help for your baby.

pbois

Reaction score
Poor thing. I will say food allergies in general make up a very small percentage of overall allergies in dogs per the Dermatologists in the N. Texas area. They put a percentage of 10 - 12% to food being a causative agent.

The clinic I am at has been able to use a company called VARL allergy which has allowed us (on a general practitioner level) to take a blood sample send it in and receive an analysis of what a pet might be allergic too. They can make the serum for the pet and ship to us for the owner to pick up. It has been a great service for us to provide to clients so they can get some answers and most don't have to seek out that next step for a Dermatology referral.

Also, let me throw out a newer drug called Apoquel. It is supposed to be the newest and greatest drug for allergy control and we have used it on a handful of our worst allergy cases (those that decline allergy testing) and we have seen some great results. It is hard to get right now, but has allowed some of those pets that only respond to steroids to be able to leave the steroids behind and be comfortable only on that drug.

I'll stop talking now. lol

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor thing. I will say food allergies in general make up a very small percentage of overall allergies in dogs per the Dermatologists in the N. Texas area. They put a percentage of 10 - 12% to food being a causative agent.

The clinic I am at has been able to use a company called VARL allergy which has allowed us (on a general practitioner level) to take a blood sample send it in and receive an analysis of what a pet might be allergic too. They can make the serum for the pet and ship to us for the owner to pick up. It has been a great service for us to provide to clients so they can get some answers and most don't have to seek out that next step for a Dermatology referral.

Also, let me throw out a newer drug called Apoquel. It is supposed to be the newest and greatest drug for allergy control and we have used it on a handful of our worst allergy cases (those that decline allergy testing) and we have seen some great results. It is hard to get right now, but has allowed some of those pets that only respond to steroids to be able to leave the steroids behind and be comfortable only on that drug.

I'll stop talking now. lol

My regular vet did tell me it is actually a small percentage of dogs that have a significant food allergy. He also told us about something called Respit (injection or spray) which is formulated to include the most significant allergens for the region in which you leave and no allergy testing is done. It is cheaper than doing allergy testing but you don't get any answers as to what the allergies are. I think I would rather spend the money on the testing and try to find out what is causing the allergies, and hopefully it is something simple that I can just remove from the house (fingers crossed).

pbois

Reaction score
Yes, Respit is just a general formulated spray or serum with the most common allergens in your region. I'm with you in that figuring out the specific things your dog is allergic to and having a company make a serum based off those things is the way to go.

Keep us updated on how things are going.

MamaFrenchie

Reaction score
I am also having allergy issues with Bruiser. In the winter (Duluth, MN) is when it gets real bad. He constantly scratches and licks---to the point of bleeding. I have also switched his food, but again, this only happens in the winter---so I know it is not food related. Right now he is on prednisone, its the only thing that works right now for him. He only takes it every other day. I am hoping by the time warmer weather comes our way (we just got dumped on with another foot of snow last night) that this will clear up and I can ween him of the prednisone. I know it isnt the best thing for him to be on right now, but he really needed the fast relief.

I am also having major skin issues with my English. He has had many many hotspots, yeast and bacterial infections. The vet knows my 2 babies fairly well. lol

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also having allergy issues with Bruiser. In the winter (Duluth, MN) is when it gets real bad. He constantly scratches and licks---to the point of bleeding. I have also switched his food, but again, this only happens in the winter---so I know it is not food related. Right now he is on prednisone, its the only thing that works right now for him. He only takes it every other day. I am hoping by the time warmer weather comes our way (we just got dumped on with another foot of snow last night) that this will clear up and I can ween him of the prednisone. I know it isnt the best thing for him to be on right now, but he really needed the fast relief.

I am also having major skin issues with my English. He has had many many hotspots, yeast and bacterial infections. The vet knows my 2 babies fairly well. lol

I am stalking you at both sites..... :giggle: The prednisone just supresses the issue does not solve anything, like you said it is relief but not the fix. Are you also feeding Brusier Science Diet?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax has been on Temaril P since the end of January because his itching was so bad. That as well just suppresses the issue. He has an appointment in a couple weeks with a dermatologist to hopefully get some answers.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

gurian523

Reaction score
I was told that the light color fur franchise are notorious with allergies. I think a little OCD is in the mix as well. Beulah when board will lick and scratch her paws tell they bleed. She only get science diet mix that was deemed one she handles and atopica with some benedril daily. If she gets bad bad she will take a series of prednisone which clears her up fast.the sucking and itching if you can get her attention one word will stop her..."horn" "Beulah horney is here " and she stops hates the norm.
u7eruvam.jpg
. Just seeing the horn stops her and refocuses her attention!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maximus0525

Reaction score
I would say about 90% of all dog allergies are food related. Check to see what you are feeding? read the ingredients, make sure there is no fillers in it. Also it is recommended to feed different proteins to dogs ie. chicken, beef, turkey, venison, rabbit etc. I have feed Raw to my frenchie since 2 months and he has no signs of scratching, smell or red ears. If you are unable to feed raw I would recommend a food close to raw such as freeze dried which you just need to add water to it. Giving antibiotics just suppresses his immune system so he will stop itching. This does not fix the issue. The only way to fix the issue is to feed biologically appropriate dog food. please read below link for more info, I recommend this site to everyone to maintain thriving dogs, it has helped me raise a dog free of allergies and health problems.

also dogs licking paws is quite common because they do not have sneakers to protect there paws from allergens out in the street or yards. It is recommended to use povidone iodine with a little water, dunk their paws in it once a day or at least once a week to disinfect there paws.

hope this helps.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually disagree [MENTION=606]maximus0525[/MENTION] and do not think 90% of allergies are food related. I wish it were that simple as just being a food allergy. I have tried MANY different proteins and brands with Jax, all of high quality (chicken, beef, pork, lamb, duck, etc.) and nothing changed. None of the foods I have given him have had any fillers and the food he is on now is a grain free venison & lentil. Last week I took Jax for an allergy test and he is allergic to MULTIPLE kinds of grass, weeds, trees/shrubs, mold, etc., everything that is outside and cannot be avoided. I have opted to give Jax allergy shots as I think that is what is best.