Advice on disciplining a puppy

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
So Tyson is 4 months old, he has learned since he's 2 months where to pee and poo. I have a area at the end of my kitchenette with 2 absorbent pad sheets where he goes toilet. When he was 2 months old, he would rip those things apart. I even caught him in the act a few times in which I would yell and make him see what he did and say "bad boy" a lot. By the look on his face, he knows he has done wrong.

This stopped, until recently.

In the past week, he has ripped the pads apart every day. I have no idea what to do since this is my first puppy. I don't want to hit him or hurt him. I've tried showing him the pads, letting him smell them then say "no". Put it in his mouth then say "no". I've laid them down on the usual spot, carried him there, let him smell it then say "no". But he's not understanding it.

Is there any efficient way for him to stop this behavior?

He has 3 different toys; a rubber ball, a threaded rope ball and a rubber bone. And he has a deer bone to chew on too. I don't understand why he goes and rips the pads apart. He even gives me the "I am guilty" look when I discover what he's done. So I know he knows it's not right to do it.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does he always use inside to go versus outside? I only used pee pads the first few days with my guys and then they always ended up tearing them apart so I just stopped using them but my guys go outside when they need go.

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
When I got Tyson, he was sick for well over a month. This delayed his booster vaccinations and the vet told me not to take him outside. He's only recently started going outside, but he rarely does his business outside. Sometimes he waits till he's home to do it on the pads.

I've always wondered how to transition from going inside to going outside. But he's spent his early days indoors so I'm not sure how to even start.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Does he always use inside to go versus outside? I only used pee pads the first few days with my guys and then they always ended up tearing them apart so I just stopped using them but my guys go outside when they need go.

I agree, once they start shredding them they need to go. We have a pet door so our guys go outside when they need to go. Is he home alone all day? Could a neighbor or dog walker take him outside mid day?

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I would suggest focusing on teaching him what to do, rather than attempting to punish him for unwanted behavior. If you do not catch him in the act of destroying the pads, then it's too late to adress it at all, imo. If you catch him in the act, redirect him to get a toy and play with him. This will reinforce the idea that he gets attention from you when he does so.

It took no time at all for Gus to learn the "get a toy" command. In our instance, I was redirecting him from biting our hands and feet while playing. He learned that if he wanted us to play, he needed a toy. I just did my quick "uh, uh" noise and then gave the command. Personally, I don't believe in the "guilty" look. I think they just sense that their humans are mad, but mostly likely, don't associate it with what they've done.

I would also get him more toys and rotate them. My guess is that he is bored and keeping himself entertained by tearing up the pads. It's probably pretty fun. Maybe get some toys that are crinkly and/or toys that he can shake and "kill." He might enjoy that kind of prey type play.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When I got Tyson, he was sick for well over a month. This delayed his booster vaccinations and the vet told me not to take him outside. He's only recently started going outside, but he rarely does his business outside. Sometimes he waits till he's home to do it on the pads.

I've always wondered how to transition from going inside to going outside. But he's spent his early days indoors so I'm not sure how to even start.

The key to getting him to go outside is consistency. Be consistent in taking him out and always give him praise and a high value treat when he does go.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I would try leaving a piece of a wet pad and some of his poop out by where you want his potty spot to be. If he smells his scent, that might help get the point across.

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
I agree, once they start shredding them they need to go. We have a pet door so our guys go outside when they need to go. Is he home alone all day? Could a neighbor or dog walker take him outside mid day?

I live in Macau, it's all buildings here and the city. So a pet door doesn't solve my problems unfortunately. He isn't home alone all day, but majority times he shreds the pads is when he's alone. I have been unemployed since I got him, but am starting to work this coming Monday. I'm in the process of hiring a part-time maid mainly to feed and walk Tyson when I'm at work.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Is he even using the pads or just ripping them up? If he’s not even using them, I would take them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Is he even using the pads or just ripping them up? If he’s not even using them, I would take them away.

He is still using the pads. Even when he shreds them, he goes on the ripped parts rather than the floor.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Do you have him in a crate when you can't be there to watch him?