Any advice would be much appreciated

Rico2024

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a Frenchie called Rico he is just over 12 years old and really need some advice

Around a year ago we notice him not holding water down, he can keep down a splash at a time but anything more he would throw it back up so we had to give him water regularly in small portions to avoid him being sick,

We took him to the vet and that examined him and gave him a blood test which everything came back fine and was told it was due to his age and as he was eating fine, still playing and wasn’t losing any weight I just carried on with him,

Until last week 7 days ago he stop eating was very restless and had diarrhoea and sick we rushed him to emergency vets after 24 hours of the above symptoms, they gave him a blood test and 2 days after he ultra sound and xrays and they told us he liver is damaged bad and they could see something sitting on his lungs and stomach and further testing would be required ct scan and biopsy but with him being 12 years of age I don’t wanna put him through all this so we decided to put him to rest later this week but the last 2 days he came back to full life

He holding water, holding food, running around playing like a puppy and seems him self again

I’m in a really hard situation with him as I don’t wanna let him go if he is himself and I don’t want him suffering he doesn’t seem to be in any pain

Any advice would be great
Thank you 🐾

What a roller coaster! If it were me, I also would not be doing all the additional test. I’d keep him energy till he told me he was ready to go. If he is eating and drinking, for now, the spoil him every second till his body says it’s time to go. Of course don’t let him suffer, I know you won’t) but if he is being that spunky.. let him/his body tell you when… you’ll know when you see it

What a roller coaster! If it were me, I also would not be doing all the additional test. I’d keep him energy till he told me he was ready to go. If he is eating and drinking, for now, the spoil him every second till his body says it’s time to go. Of course don’t let him suffer, I know you won’t) but if he is being that spunky.. let him/his body tell you when… you’ll know when you see it
It had been a roller coaster and I no things can change very quick, but me and my partner when away for a couple weeks with Rico and things changed so quick which is why we book emergency vets, since he came back from the vets he seems like him self he doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort or pain, he is eating and drinking he still can’t hold a lot of water at a time but we give him a small dose regularly which is working,

It just really hard to see because he 12 and he just like a puppy we fort we would have him atleast 2 more years as he still chasing other dogs, chasing the ball and is full of life,

I have heard French bull are stubborn when it comes to showing us there in any kind of pain or suffering which is why I needed people advice on here and some reinsurance we are doing the right thing and not being selfish for our self’s by keeping him going until we thinks he has had enough.

🐾 🐶

It had been a roller coaster and I no things can change very quick, but me and my partner when away for a couple weeks with Rico and things changed so quick which is why we book emergency vets, since he came back from the vets he seems like him self he doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort or pain, he is eating and drinking he still can’t hold a lot of water at a time but we give him a small dose regularly which is working,

It just really hard to see because he 12 years old and he just like a puppy we fort we would have him atleast 2 more years as he still chasing other dogs, chasing the ball and is full of life,

I have heard French bull are stubborn when it comes to showing us there in any kind of pain or suffering which is why I needed people advice on here and some reinsurance we are doing the right thing and not being selfish for our self’s by keeping him going until we thinks he has had enough.

🐾 🐶

Back