Breathing post "nose job"/palette reduction...

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Carlton got his nose job this morning, as well as a palette reduction/trim. I am wondering what everyones experiences have been with their pups post surgery - did they sound wheezy? Did they cough? etc.. Carlton was breathing quite fast and panting on the car ride home, which was concerning to me. It is also a warm day and I'm assuming he was excited and nervous to see me. He sounds a bit more settled now that we are home but he has the occasional "episode" where he does a cough/gag and sounds like he has something in his throat.

I have called the vet tech and she is going to talk to the doctor whom performed the surgery and get back to me. I am so paranoid and any feedback would be appreciated.

Tgirl

Reaction score
They will pant from pain. He may have some pain from surgery. Coughing and gagging a little after surgery is normal because of a little irritation from the trach tube they use for anesthesia. I'm sure your baby will be fine. :)

EPR35

Reaction score
Mine made all kinds of noises, coughs etc. for more than 2 weeks after surgery before it started to subside. He does have something in his throat, swelling/inflamation and scar tissue which take a while to heal. There were several occasions within a week of the surgery that I was on the verge of bringing him back to the vet for similar concerns as yours. Just keep a close watch on him, feed him small amounts of soft food and have patience as he heals. I wouldn't be overly alarmed at these strange sounds unless you feel he is consistently having a hard time breathing or starts wheezing with every breath. Good luck!

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Mine made all kinds of noises, coughs etc. for more than 2 weeks after surgery before it started to subside. He does have something in his throat, swelling/inflamation and scar tissue which take a while to heal. There were several occasions within a week of the surgery that I was on the verge of bringing him back to the vet for similar concerns as yours. Just keep a close watch on him, feed him small amounts of soft food and have patience as he heals. I wouldn't be overly alarmed at these strange sounds unless you feel he is consistently having a hard time breathing or starts wheezing with every breath. Good luck!
Thanks so much, you made me feel way better! Did your pup have a bit of a runny nose post surgery as well?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, you made me feel way better! Did your pup have a bit of a runny nose post surgery as well?

How is he doing? as others stated, it is all somewhat normal on the first day or so.

EPR35

Reaction score
His nose has been runny on and off both before and after the surgery, he also had his nares done. I wouldn't be concerned with the runny nose. If it is related to the surgery and not the allergies that most Frenchies suffer from, it is probably just fluid drainage which I would think is better than a dried out, blocked up nasal cavity.

Carlsmom

Reaction score
How is he doing? as others stated, it is all somewhat normal on the first day or so.

Well, it is day 5 and he is doing much better than a few days ago. The days after the surgery were pretty rough, he was very very congested, to the point I took him to the Emerg Vet because I was concerned he was struggling to breathe. Long story short, he is okay and I think the worst is over. He still isn't quite himself, but is definitely breathing better..

I have attached some photos and looking for some feedback. The first photo is immediately post surgery of his new nose, the second is what his nose looks like today. It is very raw and red - one nostril isn't very open and looks clogged....??? The vet at the Emerg was a bit useless, but suggested it was healing tissue and would work itself out. We are going to see our regular, loved vet tomorrow to get his take on it all.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0157-1.jpeg
    IMG_0157-1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it is day 5 and he is doing much better than a few days ago. The days after the surgery were pretty rough, he was very very congested, to the point I took him to the Emerg Vet because I was concerned he was struggling to breathe. Long story short, he is okay and I think the worst is over. He still isn't quite himself, but is definitely breathing better..

I have attached some photos and looking for some feedback. The first photo is immediately post surgery of his new nose, the second is what his nose looks like today. It is very raw and red - one nostril isn't very open and looks clogged....??? The vet at the Emerg was a bit useless, but suggested it was healing tissue and would work itself out. We are going to see our regular, loved vet tomorrow to get his take on it all.

Thanks guys!

Yes, it looks worse before fully healed... he might have popped a stitch but it should heal well.

Keep us posted and what meds is he on if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
There is always some swelling from surgery which causes the wheezing, etc. Sounds like he's on the mend!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Poor guy, he's looking rough. :(

Glad he is healing up. Hope your vet says that the redness and swelling is in the normal range. Keep us posted.

🆕 Latest posts