Cherry eye

Machodograndysavage

Reaction score
Hey guys my 6 month old Frenchie has cherry eye and I’m a nervous wreck we went to the vet today and they gave me a cream with steroids in it and wanna do surgery I’m scared his amazing blue eyes will never be the same , they have him wearing a cone when I am not around to keep him from scratching any advice ?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi there,
Now, I may be in the minority here, but when I brought my dog in for cherry eye, my vet told me that the dog's humans get more upset about it than the dog (because it looks horrible). He told me it does not hurt the dog, and that he could do surgery, but in his opinion he wouldn't. He gave me a very thin tube of NeoPoly Dex Opthalmic Ointment. It was a pain in the butt to get it on the right spot, but he promised me it would disappear in a matter of hours and it did. This was a long time ago and I only had to use it a few times. My girl has never had another instance of cherry eye, but my vet told me to keep the ointment handy in case it happens again. Just smear some directly on the red/pink part and it would go away within hours.

Did your vet give you this same ointment? Is the cherry eye still visible even after application of the med? Has it improved at all? I'm just relaying my personal experience with treatment that worked for us to avoid surgery (that my vet deemed not necessary, and merely was cosmetic). But you know your pup and if your vet is recommending surgery, then the only other thing I'd advise you of is to make sure you discuss appropriate anesthesia for this breed. I know too many people who have lost their brachycephalic dog during surgery. Best of luck to you!

John

Staff member
Reaction score
My dog had cherry eye and the vet popped it back into place a couple of times and it kept coming back. So, finally he suggested we cauterize part of it and leave it be. It turns black over time and isn't so visible. My dog has been this way now for 9 years and it's never bothered him once.

It's cosmetic to us and seems horrible but the dog doesn't care and now that it's black it just kind of looks like a normal bump around his eyes... Just my experience.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there are videos on YouTube to show how to massage back in. Some only pop out under stress or due to dry eye/allergies.