Confused and new to the breed

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Hi all! First off I have been researching the breed for awhile now and after we lost our boxer we decided to find a reputable french bulldog breeder and put down our deposit once we were approved. The puppy just turned 4 weeks old today and I'm concerned about her size. She's 2.5 lbs but she seems so small. My husband seems to think its because I'm used to the boxer size and I tend to overly worry about my animals. Does she look like a normal frenchie puppy? I have googled and looked through so many pictures online that my head is spinning. I don't want to offend the breeder but I'm so nervous. Our boxer we just lost..it was a very rough 13 yrs for him and us and I'm so worried with her size that something could be wrong.

Attachments

• 21182.jpeg
    21182.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 253

Jeffc

Reaction score
My female only weighed 3.6lbs at 8 weeks old and she seems perfectly healthy. She is now a little over a year old and weighs around 13lbs. I should also add she was the smallest of her liter. What she lacks in size she more than makes up for it with attitude.

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Ty! I am still learning so much about frenchies. Our boxer was the smallest of the litter and we had never ending health problems with him from seizures to cardiomyopathy. I just had no idea what the normal looked like for a french bulldog puppy at her age.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all! First off I have been researching the breed for awhile now and after we lost our boxer we decided to find a reputable french bulldog breeder and put down our deposit once we were approved. The puppy just turned 4 weeks old today and I'm concerned about her size. She's 2.5 lbs but she seems so small. My husband seems to think its because I'm used to the boxer size and I tend to overly worry about my animals. Does she look like a normal frenchie puppy? I have googled and looked through so many pictures online that my head is spinning. I don't want to offend the breeder but I'm so nervous. Our boxer we just lost..it was a very rough 13 yrs for him and us and I'm so worried with her size that something could be wrong. View attachment 14023

Hi there! Welcome..

You have her already at 4.5 weeks? That is so young to be away from momma already. If you are still pending and she is with Momma, give her time . 8 weeks is the early point a pup should leave mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Oh no, I don't have her now she is still with the breeder. Sorry about that! We will not be getting her until she's 9 weeks.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no, I don't have her now she is still with the breeder. Sorry about that! We will not be getting her until she's 9 weeks.

WHEW!!! 9 weeks is even better!!!!

They are tiny but she will grow as time goes on.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Does she look walleyed? Is 4 weeks too soon to tell? I googled 4 week old french bulldogs and was blown away at how much smaller she looked and then I started to get nervous.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Does she look walleyed? Is 4 weeks too soon to tell? I googled 4 week old french bulldogs and was blown away at how much smaller she looked and then I started to get nervous.

I tagged David for you he is a Frenchy breeder out of Texas and will be able to give you much better information than I would

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
She is beautiful!! She looks good to me but I didn't see Wally until he was 8 weeks old.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi Frenchiemomma,
It's always nice to find another Boxer lover! ;-) I've had them all my adult life. Our last one passed 6 months ago, so now we just have Daphne, our Frenchie, and two cats. I'm sorry to hear that you had so many health issues with your Boxer. I hope your Frenchie pup brings you lots of love and joy.

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Hi FroxerMom! Ty everyone for the reassurance. I am so nervous because I'm so new to this breed and not sure what to look for. I was just sent a video of her and she will be 5 weeks Monday. Am I allowed to post YouTube links? I uploaded the video to my YouTube. My husband is so worried how small she is. July 27, 2020 - YouTube

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Hi all! First off I have been researching the breed for awhile now and after we lost our boxer we decided to find a reputable french bulldog breeder and put down our deposit once we were approved. The puppy just turned 4 weeks old today and I'm concerned about her size. She's 2.5 lbs but she seems so small. My husband seems to think its because I'm used to the boxer size and I tend to overly worry about my animals. Does she look like a normal frenchie puppy? I have googled and looked through so many pictures online that my head is spinning. I don't want to offend the breeder but I'm so nervous. Our boxer we just lost..it was a very rough 13 yrs for him and us and I'm so worried with her size that something could be wrong. View attachment 14023

Stella was 4.1 pounds when we got her at 8 weeks old and Jake was 8.8, but he was 10 weeks old. Stella currently weighs 21 lbs. (lean) and Jake is 27 lbs.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hi @frenchiemomma, I don't want to be a bummer, but I hope you can get your money back. That is NOT a very well bred Frenchie. The color is off, looks like a faded blue. The nose is too long and the head is just not a good look for a Frenchie. This breeder can't be a reputable breeder. Here is a pic of a well bred Frenchie at 5 weeks of age. Plus that is not a healthy looking pup. Eyes are way too wide too and should not stick out like that, looks like a Chihuahua.

Katie at 5 weeks.jpg

Katie 5 weeks old.JPG

Last edited:

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
Hi @frenchiemomma, I don't want to be a bummer, but I hope you can get your money back. That is NOT a very well bred Frenchie. The color is off, looks like a faded blue. The nose is too long and the head is just not a good look for a Frenchie. This breeder can't be a reputable breeder. Here is a pic of a well bred Frenchie at 5 weeks of age. Plus that is not a healthy looking pup. Eyes are way too wide too and should not stick out like that, looks like a Chihuahua.

View attachment 14045

View attachment 14046

Hi Davidh... ty! I went with my gut feeling on it and backed out of it completely. I'm now on a waiting list so maybe 6 months if all goes well.

Bulldog lover54

Reaction score
I'm contemplating on getting a male black tri frenchbulldog

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=4213]frenchiemomma[/MENTION] I'm happy you backed out. Hopefully you are going with a different breeder, one that doesn't breed for color.

frenchiemomma

Reaction score
[MENTION=4213]frenchiemomma[/MENTION] I'm happy you backed out. Hopefully you are going with a different breeder, one that doesn't breed for color.

We are on a waiting list with a completely different breeder and she doesn't deal with the "rare" colors.

πŸ†• Latest posts