Cytopoint - any advice?

FranE

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 7 year old Frenchie whose allergies (yeast, fleas, mites and household dust) really flare up at this time of year. I feel like I’ve tried everything by this point so considering Cytopoint and wondered how other people have found it. We’ve tried Prednisolone which worked quite well, but my dog now has to take an anti- inflammatory due to joint problems, so he has had to go back to apoquel. He’s on 1/2 tablet a day and Piriton but it just doesn’t seem to be working. I use the medicated shampoo and he is on Butternut Box food. He is constantly getting ear infections and eye ulcers due to the itching so really need to find a solution. He keeps spinning on his tail- which seems to be down to the allergies rather than glands.
Would be great to hear how other dogs are doing on it as I have an appointment for tomorrow though I’ve read some worrying messages on other sites. Any help much appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 7 year old Frenchie whose allergies (yeast, fleas, mites and household dust) really flare up at this time of year. I feel like I’ve tried everything by this point so considering Cytopoint and wondered how other people have found it. We’ve tried Prednisolone which worked quite well, but my dog now has to take an anti- inflammatory due to joint problems, so he has had to go back to apoquel. He’s on 1/2 tablet a day and Piriton but it just doesn’t seem to be working. I use the medicated shampoo and he is on Butternut Box food. He is constantly getting ear infections and eye ulcers due to the itching so really need to find a solution. He keeps spinning on his tail- which seems to be down to the allergies rather than glands.
Would be great to hear how other dogs are doing on it as I have an appointment for tomorrow though I’ve read some worrying messages on other sites. Any help much appreciated! Thanks

Yeast eats carbs that the dog eats, so if he gets butternut squash or any carbs in his food, you want to switch him to something without carbs like raw diet.

I have tried the Cytopoint with my other dog, and she was SO sick and turns out there is many risks to Cytopoint, and it’s a injection version of apoquel which suppress the immune system not letting them fight any viruses or tumours(my dog actually got 4 tumours from it and apoquel).

I have declined on letting anyone(my vets) give my Frenchie apoquel, Cytopoint or Benadryl(he also got sick from that).

So I highly recommend avoiding!

If your Frenchie has an allergy to this Cytopoint like my other dog did, you can’t get it out of them, it stays in them for 4-8 weeks which means if they get sick, there isn’t anything you can do.

My Frenchie has Severe allergies, breaks out in hives and gets constant skin infections that are now antibiotics resistant to every antibiotic out there.

Pollen, mold, dust mites and storage mites, and yeast is very common allergy. Actually most dogs with allergies are allergic to the yeast that live on their skin, so keeping yeast away is the key.
My Frenchie is also allergic to grass and everything outside.

Boosting the immune system is key, not suppressing it.

I give my Frenchie:

-Four Leaf Rover brand-Bovine Colostrum powder(I give it 30 minutes before breakfast cause it works best on empty stomach-powder alone in his dish).

-low carb diet(Raised Right is a good lightly cooked food if you don’t want to feed raw diet). No kibble or sweet potato or rice or squash cause that’s what feeds the yeast.

-probiotics help keep yeast levels down in gut.

-I bath him with Dermachlor 4 shampoo, it’s anti fungual and anti bacterial and anti yeast.

If he is really itchy you can give Quercetin, it’s a natural alternative to apoquel.

Here are a couple articles that tell you the truth that your vet won’t tell you(These are written by vets).:

FranE

Reaction score
Yeast eats carbs that the dog eats, so if he gets butternut squash or any carbs in his food, you want to switch him to something without carbs like raw diet.

I have tried the Cytopoint with my other dog, and she was SO sick and turns out there is many risks to Cytopoint, and it’s a injection version of apoquel which suppress the immune system not letting them fight any viruses or tumours(my dog actually got 4 tumours from it and apoquel).

I have declined on letting anyone(my vets) give my Frenchie apoquel, Cytopoint or Benadryl(he also got sick from that).

So I highly recommend avoiding!

If your Frenchie has an allergy to this Cytopoint like my other dog did, you can’t get it out of them, it stays in them for 4-8 weeks which means if they get sick, there isn’t anything you can do.

My Frenchie has Severe allergies, breaks out in hives and gets constant skin infections that are now antibiotics resistant to every antibiotic out there.

Pollen, mold, dust mites and storage mites, and yeast is very common allergy. Actually most dogs with allergies are allergic to the yeast that live on their skin, so keeping yeast away is the key.
My Frenchie is also allergic to grass and everything outside.

Boosting the immune system is key, not suppressing it.

I give my Frenchie:

-Four Leaf Rover brand-Bovine Colostrum powder(I give it 30 minutes before breakfast cause it works best on empty stomach-powder alone in his dish).

-low carb diet(Raised Right is a good lightly cooked food if you don’t want to feed raw diet). No kibble or sweet potato or rice or squash cause that’s what feeds the yeast.

-probiotics help keep yeast levels down in gut.

-I bath him with Dermachlor 4 shampoo, it’s anti fungual and anti bacterial and anti yeast.

If he is really itchy you can give Quercetin, it’s a natural alternative to apoquel.

Here are a couple articles that tell you the truth that your vet won’t tell you(These are written by vets).:

Thank you! I’ve never heard of bovine colostrum so I’ll look into that now 😊

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax has gotten Cytopoint for the past few years and it has really helped with allergies. We switched him to that from Apoquel. I tried natural supplements but they weren’t enough to keep him comfortable and not itchy.

For joints, I give cbd oil, GLM powder and turmeric paste.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,

Forgot to mention I give freeze dried green lipped mussels for joints, I have 1 of my dogs has bad arthritis, the green lipped mussel powder has made the best difference and no more limping.

Definitely look into the Cytopoint article I attached in last response.

FranE

Reaction score
Thank you both. I’ve cancelled the appointment for today and am going to try some of the remedies you have mentioned above first.

The joints seem to be improving a lot with turmeric paste, physio and previcox so just need to get on top of the allergies as well now!😊 Many thanks for your help.

Mavis

Reaction score
Good luck! I hope you find something (or combination of) that gives him relief. We have a 7 month old puppy. Since shortly after we got him, we've been feeding him Raised Right ($159/mo) and a little kibble to supplement (Orijen). Much to my surprise, he has not developed any allergies, which is a small miracle to me. We lost our other frenchie in February. She had horrendous allergies that we were never able to get to the bottom of. I didn't know about the Raised Right food at that time. Tried Apoquel a couple different times with her, and it did nothing.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve used Cytopoint for many years for my bulldog, his ears will not stay clear without it. I feed raw and have done allergy testing.. he is allergic to everything green (trees, grass, shrubs, etc) so I have to stay on top of it. He gets a shot every four weeks.. in winter I push to 6-8 weeks