ears not standing up

Sorry,no real help here, Buster came to us with his ears super glued down because he was supposed to be an English. His whole litters ears started popping up between 7 and 8 weeks old! When we got them unglued they took a couple of days to come back up.

GLUED!?!?!??! I have never heard of such a thing. Is that normal? Why would someone do that to the poor puppy!?

[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] - Thanks for sharing 'the whole story'!!! Poor guy. Glad they got unstuck without any problems... Buster and Ruggles look like they could be related in that first picture!!!

Ditto - Thanks for sharing. Poor Baby!

In reply to the original posting. I love the half up half down look....I think it's adorable I would not change it if I were you. Give the pup character! Too cute I say and if your not showing then it really doesn't matter. I would not go through the tapping of the ears but you might try the yogurt. Maybe that will make a difference? Who knows, but I think it's CUTE!

Hi - we just got our little guy (Olaf) just over 2 weeks ago and his ears are down. He is now 14 weeks old. We haven't tried to do anything yet to make his ears stand up though. He's still so darn cute with his ears down anyway. One theory I have is that his ears are late to bloom because he was A) the runt of the litter (according to the breeder), B) his brothers nipped his ears up pretty badly (he had some scabs on his ears when we picked him up), and C) he had bad separation anxiety and it took him longer to be ok (again, according to the breeder). I'm not too worried about it because like I said, we still love he with his ears down just as much. I'll keep you all updated on his progress!

View attachment 3590

Yogurt.

Hi Olafs Dad,
I got so excited when I saw your name because I thought your pup might be the brother of our new Frenchie who is the same age. His brother's name was Olaf too. Then I saw your picture and I guess there is more than one Olaf out there. Anyway, I am replying to your concern about his ears. Sumo, our little guy had one ear up and one flopped when we picked him up at 8 1/2 weeks old. Shortly afterwards both ears were up and then about 2 weeks later they both flopped and now we're back to one up, one down. After further research I found that this is normal during the teething stage when their skulls are constantly growing and changing. The status could change from day to day but the advice was to just wait and both ears should return to normal at some point. It is frustrating and the idea of taping them is tempting but I don't feel comfortable doing that, especially with the way he roughhouses and chews on everything -- best to just wait it out.
My biggest issue right now is the potty training. Tried for over 3 weeks with just praise but he wasn't making the connection. Now I always have kibble in my pocket so right after he goes (outside) I praise and give him a piece of kibble and he really seems to get it -- taught him the "come" command this way and it took 2 attempts. But, he drinks a LOT of water and pees all the time so it's hard to always catch him in the act, even with all the signals. Good luck with everything -- I just joined this forum and hope to learn lots of tips here.

Back